Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Conclave: 2005

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: If Arinze becomes pope, what level of racism against him in the U.S. would u predict?
Pockets of riots across U.S., especially in South, where effigies of pope are burned 3 1.91%
Exterior acceptance by most of the pope, but malicious, racist comments prevalent in many circles 38 24.20%
Arinze accepted by most Americans. Many older Americans suspect his abilities, since he's black 35 22.29%
Very little racism, since Arinze disproves racist stereotypes. 66 42.04%
Other (please explain) 15 9.55%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 16, '05, 4:22 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Post Re: If Arinze became Pope, would there be problems of racism?

Unfortunately in this world we tend to look on the surface only. Very Sad but true. I have heard for example Colin Powell did a good job---for a black guy, how horrible is that? My husband is a college grad, (I'm not) but because he has an accent and is Hispanic they assume that he is not too bright and direct questions to me. (Someone even asked him if he does some construction, talk about stereotypes) On the surface many people will be accepting but I can truly see people seeing only the fact that he is black. The media is just as bad, I could just hear it now "As the first Black Pope how do you think he will..................Someday I hope we learn we are all God's children
Old Apr 16, '05, 6:12 am

Religion: Catholic.
Send a message via Yahoo to Fox
Default Re: If Arinze became Pope, would there be problems of racism?

You know Arinze isn't the first black Pope the Church had.
Old Apr 16, '05, 3:17 pm

Religion: Catholic

We all descended from Adam and Eve. There is only one race - the human race - born in sin - saved by Jesus. We are related. In Christ we are united even more- than blood relatives. We didn't evolve from apes.

Arinze would make a fine Pope. I wonder what the Holy Spirit has in mind? Does Europe and America need a "non-European" to straighten out the mess? Part of me says yes - we do. Another part says that someone from the west- who knows the problems in the western church first hand - is needed. I don't know - but the Holy Spirit does. Let's pray the Cardinals are listening to Him.

Last edited by edrazz; Apr 16, '05 at 3:35 pm.
Old Apr 16, '05, 6:54 pm

Unhappy Re: If Arinze became Pope, would there be problems of racism?

I voted other. Arinze will never become Pope. There is racism in the Catholic Church and other churches as well. We don't talk about it, but it is there.

Last edited by Bella3502; Apr 16, '05 at 6:54 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 16, '05, 7:45 pm

Religion: Catholic and Lovin' It

I think that Americans are funny. (I am American by the way). Look in your heart, when you see an African or an "African" American in church, on the street, do you see them as different.

As a darker hued American I agree with Cardinal Arinze. The west is not ready for an African or a black or maybe even an Hispanic Pope. People may want to believe that they don't see color but many people still clutch purses when we walk by, crack half smiles, avoid us at the kiss of peace EVEN IN CATHOLIC CHURCHES. This forum is not about affirmative action but I think that that is part of the reason why not all but many darker Americans are not opposed to in. Racism was legal and accepted socially and politically until only 50 or so years ago. It was systemic and institutionalized. Something that had a 300 year history in this country has just ended but we are to pretent that within just about 50 years we darker Americans are viewed as equal. Most darker Americans do want acceptance for who we are not how we look but the reality is that that is not as prevailent as we would like because discrimation still occurs more often than people may think. We need to take affirmative action to correct the sins of the past. We can't just stop being actively prejudice and passive about making changes. Not with quotas that allow unfit people to hold positions but with something to insure that we won't be forgotten.

Also most black people don't hate the Catholic Church. Ecumenism has been alive in the black community for decades because we could not afford to discriminate based upon religious affiliation. In the black community, as long as you "have Jesus" that has been all you needed for acceptance. Plus, no where is the Catholic Church more active than in the black community. The problem is that most darker Americans who are not Catholic just don't know what we believe about Jesus. As a matter of fact there are many black Catholics in urban areas, we just attend churches that are predominately black in urban neighborhood that were once white and now are not.

Anyway, Cardinal Arinze would be great because he stands up for THE truth but I don't think most non-black people, could imgine kissing the hand of a black man or calling him Holy Father. If they did I could see them cringing. I am not trying to be mean or prejudice I am just "keeping it real". As a black person it is just interesting to listen to the discussion from "the other side"
Old Apr 16, '05, 7:47 pm

Religion: transferring to the Melkite Church
Send a message via MSN to Ghosty Send a message via Yahoo to Ghosty

Quote:
I voted other. Arinze will never become Pope. There is racism in the Catholic Church and other churches as well. We don't talk about it, but it is there.
There is racism everywhere, but I honestly don't think it's pervasive enough in the Church to actively prevent Arinze from being elected. Espescially within the last century, the Church has gone back to its universal roots in a major way, actively promoting the Jewishness of Jesus and the Apostles, for example. We are always reminded that Augustine was African, also. I think that there will always be some racism present so long as people look different, but most Catholics I know, even old ones, don't consider race to be a boundary in theological matters. A person who wouldn't trust a black man to hold their groceries would happily receive Communion from a black priest.
Old Apr 18, '05, 4:15 pm

Cool Re: If Arinze became Pope, would there be problems of racism?

Anyway, Cardinal Arinze would be great because he stands up for THE truth but I don't think most non-black people, could imgine kissing the hand of a black man or calling him Holy Father. If they did I could see them cringing. I am not trying to be mean or prejudice I am just "keeping it real". As a black person it is just interesting to listen to the discussion from "the other side"[/quote]

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE.....
Old Apr 18, '05, 4:16 pm

Cool Re: If Arinze became Pope, would there be problems of racism?

Anyway, Cardinal Arinze would be great because he stands up for THE truth but I don't think most non-black people, could imgine kissing the hand of a black man or calling him Holy Father. If they did I could see them cringing. I am not trying to be mean or prejudice I am just "keeping it real". As a black person it is just interesting to listen to the discussion from "the other side"[/quote]

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE.....

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Conclave: 2005