Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Benedict XVI: 2005
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

 
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Apr 20, '05, 7:13 am
Ani Ibi's Avatar
Ani Ibi Ani Ibi is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: October 30, 2004
Posts: 15,285
Religion: Unreformed
Default Benedict XVI explains why he chose this name

CNN this morning: Our pope explains why he has chosen the name Benedict:

1) After the first Benedict who established monasticism cross Europe.

2) After Benedict XV who was a peacemaker.

3) After Benedict XV who had a short papacy.

What you yall think this choice of name and the reasons for it mean to our future?

In his homily this morning he said that he was very grateful to God but also felt some disquietude to have been given such a weighty responsibility. I think it would be nice for us at Catholic Answers to send him a group letter expressing our love and support. Anyone want to start that thread?
__________________
a song for you: O come, o come, Emmanuel
  #2  
Old Apr 20, '05, 7:21 am
Brad Brad is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 24, 2004
Posts: 7,369
Default Re: Benedict XVI explains why he chose this name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani Ibi
CNN this morning: Our pope explains why he has chosen the name Benedict:

1) After the first Benedict who established monasticism cross Europe.

2) After Benedict XV who was a peacemaker.

3) After Benedict XV who had a short papacy.

What you yall think this choice of name and the reasons for it mean to our future?

In his homily this morning he said that he was very grateful to God but also felt some disquietude to have been given such a weighty responsibility. I think it would be nice for us at Catholic Answers to send him a group letter expressing our love and support. Anyone want to start that thread?
Great idea! I have a sense that Ratzinger may play a role in bringing holiness back to Europe and, in particular Germany. Anyone ready to kick-off World Youth Day?
  #3  
Old Apr 20, '05, 7:26 am
dumspirospero dumspirospero is offline
Banned
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: August 12, 2004
Posts: 4,255
Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite
Send a message via AIM to dumspirospero Send a message via Yahoo to dumspirospero
Default Re: Benedict XVI explains why he chose this name

I hope he doesn't expect it to be too short



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani Ibi
CNN this morning: Our pope explains why he has chosen the name Benedict:

1) After the first Benedict who established monasticism cross Europe.

2) After Benedict XV who was a peacemaker.

3) After Benedict XV who had a short papacy.

What you yall think this choice of name and the reasons for it mean to our future?

In his homily this morning he said that he was very grateful to God but also felt some disquietude to have been given such a weighty responsibility. I think it would be nice for us at Catholic Answers to send him a group letter expressing our love and support. Anyone want to start that thread?
  #4  
Old Apr 20, '05, 7:44 am
STIOFÁN STIOFÁN is offline
 
Join Date: April 5, 2005
Posts: 396
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Benedict XVI explains why he chose this name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani Ibi

What you yall think this choice of name and the reasons for it mean to our future?
Well I'm fond of Saint Benedict, who is the patron Saint of Exorcists, I have the Benedict Crucifix here in my home, so definately no problem with the name.

Just a thought, but this never occured to me before, but I think it was a Bishop Mc'Mahon on RTE yesterday that drew my attention to this.
He said that when he was in Rome around the time of the election of John Paul I, he asked him why he had chosen the title JPI.
Quote; " I chose that name because I won't be around very long", hinting that there would be a JP2.
Irelands news today, http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/1news.smil

http://www.rte.ie/tv/

Last edited by STIOFÁN; Apr 20, '05 at 7:55 am.
  #5  
Old Apr 20, '05, 7:47 am
Scott_Lafrance's Avatar
Scott_Lafrance Scott_Lafrance is offline
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: August 23, 2004
Posts: 19,792
Religion: Catholic In Faith Only
Send a message via AIM to Scott_Lafrance
Default Re: Benedict XVI explains why he chose this name

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumspirospero
I hope he doesn't expect it to be too short
Well, compared to John Paul it will be. I don't expect Benedict XVI to be around for another 26 years.
__________________
Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.

- Abraham Lincoln
  #6  
Old Apr 20, '05, 7:53 am
Faustina Faustina is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 23, 2004
Posts: 613
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Benedict XVI explains why he chose this name

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIOFÁN
Well I'm fond of Saint Benedict, who is the patron Saint of Exorcists, I have the Benedict Crucifix here in my home, so definately no problem with the name.

Just a thought, but this never occured to me before, but I think it was a Bishop Mc'Mahon on RTE yesterday that drew my attention to this.
He said that when he was in Rome around the time of the election of John Paul I, he asked him why he had chosen the title JPI.
Quote; " I chose that name because I won't be around very long", hinting that there would be a JP2.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/
Since you brought this up, I have thought, with secularism luring people away from the Church, perhaps God has chosen an "exorcist" for the Church.
__________________
A gentle answer quenches anger
  #7  
Old Apr 20, '05, 8:00 am
Ani Ibi's Avatar
Ani Ibi Ani Ibi is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: October 30, 2004
Posts: 15,285
Religion: Unreformed
Default Re: Benedict XVI explains why he chose this name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Anyone ready to kick-off World Youth Day?
Hut! Hut! Hut! Let's bring those Lutherans home!
__________________
a song for you: O come, o come, Emmanuel
  #8  
Old Apr 20, '05, 8:09 am
nike248 nike248 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: February 8, 2005
Posts: 240
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Benedict XVI explains why he chose this name

He chose this name because St. Malachy's predictions are true!! AHHHHH!!!!!!!

Seriously, though. We are primed for a third world war. Let's see... North Korea, Syria, Iran, China... All right, the rest of the world. And if we have another war, the US is most likely going to go bankrupt. I hope this doesn't happen, but it would be a just punishment for this "culture of death."
__________________
"Thank God I am old and near death" -- St Pio of Pietrelcina on the moral state of the world in the 1960's
  #9  
Old Apr 20, '05, 8:12 am
STIOFÁN STIOFÁN is offline
 
Join Date: April 5, 2005
Posts: 396
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Benedict XVI explains why he chose this name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faustina
Since you brought this up, I have thought, with secularism luring people away from the Church, perhaps God has chosen an "exorcist" for the Church.
Maybe,------ and you and I are of the one mind on this, was just thinking the same thing today.
 

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Benedict XVI: 2005

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8379Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: svid2
5104CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4417Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: daughterstm
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3859SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3699Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3269Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3266Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3218Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: memphian
3094For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: flower lady



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 7:57 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.