Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 11, '10, 2:11 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default who here thinks the vulgate is corrupt? apparently protestants do

hahah i got his exerpt from this website: http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-en...ory/index.html

"By the 1580's, the Roman Catholic Church saw that it had lost the battle to suppress the will of God: that His Holy Word be available in the English language. In 1582, the Church of Rome surrendered their fight for "Latin only" and decided that if the Bible was to be available in English, they would at least have an official Roman Catholic English translation. And so, using the corrupt and inaccurate Latin Vulgate as the only source text, they went on to publish an English Bible with all the distortions and corruptions that Erasmus had revealed and warned of 75 years earlier. Because it was translated at the Roman Catholic College in the city of Rheims, it was known as the Rheims New Testament (also spelled Rhemes). The Douay Old Testament was translated by the Church of Rome in 1609 at the College in the city of Douay (also spelled Doway & Douai). The combined product is commonly referred to as the "Doway/Rheims" Version. In 1589, Dr. William Fulke of Cambridge published the "Fulke's Refutation", in which he printed in parallel columns the Bishops Version along side the Rheims Version, attempting to show the error and distortion of the Roman Church's corrupt compromise of an English version of the Bible."

thats kinda funny because i compared the Douay-Rheims to the KJV and they are really the same thing. The Douay-Rheims flows a lot better imo, but thats all personal preference.

you can criticize me, just about a month ago i was on here contemplating coming back to the catholic church, criticizing the pope.

in the last month i have learned a lot. a ton. and while ill live my full life looking into the catholic church ill never know close to everything. i understant that. thats what makes my faith to God shown through the acts and pracitices given to the catholic church from Peter who got his orders from Jesus, so amazing.

but i have learned this...the faith and roots of the catholic church is where its at. throughout history every thing has been tainted by those who havent praciticed what they preach. not just the catholic church, every thing in this world.

while one can argue certain people in the catholic church are corrupt ONE CAN NEVER say the FUNDAMENTAL BELIEF OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS CORUPT.

i expect a real good answer from someone as to what grounds the Douay Rheims and Vulgate is corrupt...instead im probably just gonna get 3000 different half-a** answers from 3000 different denominations created by man, on why its corrupt.

i find it funny. all these claims from websites, all these claims from "evangelists" (who dont realize an evangelists job is to spread the word of God, not interpret it)

as much as i dont believe most of what the Most Holy Family preaches on vatican 2 (i dont like how they attack the v2, but i do think the v2 needs to stand alittle more firm on what they believe), id love to see a protestant go after them.

oh thats right, one did and they basically had the roof crash in (just listen to videos on the page of the debate)

Pro God, Pro Gun, Pro Life

Last edited by osddso; Jan 11, '10 at 2:25 pm. Reason: spelling corrections
Old Jan 11, '10, 2:24 pm

Default Re: who here thinks the vulgate is corrupt? apparently protestants do

i just want to add im not attacking all protestants. i am attacking those who attack the catholic church.

if your reading this and are a normal good hearted person who isnt concerned about what denomination a person is, as long as they believe in Jesus and try to model their life after him, this isnt about you.

if you reading this and are confused because the protestants you talk faith with dont spit this kind of garbage out, this post is not aimed at you

its aimed that the ones who read this topic title, knew exactly what i was talking about and were ready to give an answer.

i always say how i left the church after confirmation. haha you know why i did? because in social studies class i learned about the Protestant reformation. while i never converted to Protestanism i kind of took on their beliefs...its websites like these, and places that dont give the full side of the story (both catholic and protestant) that i am trying to call out so that way someone who is confused on where they are doesnt get the wrong idea like i did.

as much as i dont want someone who knows nothing about catholicism spreading lies, im sure protestants wouldnt be to happy with someone walking around probably giving false info out as to why i believed what the protestants do, when it probably was dead wrong (actually ive found that through research i never gave out wrong info, but that was luck)

as for the most holy family monestary. i dont believe they should attack the vatican 2 the way they do. i do believe in Pope Leo XIII's vision BUT i also believe int he power of good. even if the v2 was set under satans influence (as the mhfm claims), the power of God's Grace and Jesus Guidance through Peters actions and those who follow in Peters succession will overshadow the good.

i just chose the mhfm because those guys will argue till they are blue in the face. and the people who argue that the D-R/Vulgate is corrupt will aruge till they are blue in the face too. so it would be funny to see (i know thats not a good thing, to get a laugh out of the argument they would have, thats something im trying to work on. use my quick witty comebacks and humor for good, not bad...just give me time )

Old Jan 11, '10, 2:30 pm

Religion: Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by osddso View Post
hahah i got his exerpt from this website: http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-en...ory/index.html

"By the 1580's, the Roman Catholic Church saw that it had lost the battle to suppress the will of God: that His Holy Word be available in the English language. In 1582, the Church of Rome surrendered their fight for "Latin only" and decided that if the Bible was to be available in English, they would at least have an official Roman Catholic English translation. And so, using the corrupt and inaccurate Latin Vulgate as the only source text, they went on to publish an English Bible with all the distortions and corruptions that Erasmus had revealed and warned of 75 years earlier. Because it was translated at the Roman Catholic College in the city of Rheims, it was known as the Rheims New Testament (also spelled Rhemes). The Douay Old Testament was translated by the Church of Rome in 1609 at the College in the city of Douay (also spelled Doway & Douai). The combined product is commonly referred to as the "Doway/Rheims" Version. In 1589, Dr. William Fulke of Cambridge published the "Fulke's Refutation", in which he printed in parallel columns the Bishops Version along side the Rheims Version, attempting to show the error and distortion of the Roman Church's corrupt compromise of an English version of the Bible."

thats kinda funny because i compared the Douay-Rheims to the KJV and they are really the same thing. The Douay-Rheims flows a lot better imo, but thats all personal preference.

you can criticize me, just about a month ago i was on here contemplating coming back to the catholic church, criticizing the pope.

in the last month i have learned a lot. a ton. and while ill life my full life looking into the catholic church ill never know close to everything. i understant that. thats what makes my faith to God shown through the acts and pracitices given to the catholic church from Peter who got his orders from Jesus, so amazing.

but i have learned this...the faith and roots of the catholic church is where its at. throughout history every thing has been tainted by those who havent praciticed what they preach. not just the catholic church, every thing in this world.

while one can argue certain people in the catholic church are corrupt ONE CANE NEVER say the FUNDAMENTAL BELIEF OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS CORUPT.

i expect a real good answer from someone as to what grounds the Douay Rheims and Vulgate is corrupt...instead im probably just gonna get 3000 different half-a** answers from 3000 different denominations created by man, on why its corrupt.

i find it funny. all these claims from websites, all these claims from "evangieists" (who dont realize an evangelists job is to spread the word of God, not interpret it)

as much as i dont believe most of what the Most Holy Family preaches on vatican 2 (i dont like how they attack the v2, but i do think the v2 needs to stand alittle more firm on what they believe), id love to see a protestant go after them.

oh thats right, one did and they basically had the roof crash in (just listen to videos on the page of the debate)
A lot of what you quote is tendentious anti-Catholic clap-trap.

OK, I'm Episcopalian. I don't think the Vulgate Bible is corrupt, but frankly corruption is not the word we should be using here. The Greek and Hebrew texts that were used to translate the King James Bible were not as good as the texts used by modern translators, both Catholic and Protestant (who now cooperate more than many on these Catholic Answers Fora would like). Several hundred years of increasingly sophisticated textual analysis have allowed translators to do better jobs. In a place where the Vulgate differs from the New Jerusalem Bible (also Catholic), I would go with the New Jerusalem.

p.s. "Pro God, Pro Gun, Pro Life"? Sounds almost a odd as "Pro Child, Pro Choice".
Old Jan 11, '10, 2:37 pm

Religion: Catholic Christian

Just wanted to say about you "coming back" so to speak.
Old Jan 11, '10, 3:00 pm

pro gun- states that allow you to carry guns have less crime. gang bangers, criminals who would rape are less likely to because their victim be carrying a gun for protection. people who do home invasions are less likely to because the person in house may have guns and will use them if they feel threatened. its a proven statistic.

you cant sit here and say guns are the problem, they arent. bad guys are gonna them anyway no matter how much legislation you drop.

pro life- im against abortion.

i really dont wanna get off topic here.

Old Jan 11, '10, 5:02 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by osddso View Post
pro gun- states that allow you to carry guns have less crime. gang bangers, criminals who would rape are less likely to because their victim be carrying a gun for protection. people who do home invasions are less likely to because the person in house may have guns and will use them if they feel threatened. its a proven statistic.

you cant sit here and say guns are the problem, they arent. bad guys are gonna them anyway no matter how much legislation you drop.

pro life- im against abortion.

i really dont wanna get off topic here.
Me neither, but
Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old Jan 11, '10, 5:21 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Informed, practicing RomanCatholic

Quote:
=osddso;"By the 1580's, the Roman Catholic Church saw that it had lost the battle to suppress the will of God: that His Holy Word be available in the English language. In 1582, the Church of Rome surrendered their fight for "Latin only" and decided that if the Bible was to be available in English, they would at least have an official Roman Catholic English translation. And so, using the corrupt and inaccurate Latin Vulgate as the only source text, they went on to publish an English Bible with all the distortions and corruptions that Erasmus had revealed and warned of 75 years earlier. Because it was translated at the Roman Catholic College in the city of Rheims, it was known as the Rheims New Testament (also spelled Rhemes). The Douay Old Testament was translated by the Church of Rome in 1609 at the College in the city of Douay (also spelled Doway & Douai). The combined product is commonly referred to as the "Doway/Rheims" Version. In 1589, Dr. William Fulke of Cambridge published the "Fulke's Refutation", in which he printed in parallel columns the Bishops Version along side the Rheims Version, attempting to show the error and distortion of the Roman Church's corrupt compromise of an English version of the Bible."

Seven Books entire SHORTER and KJB has many altered verses to support there nre found [1500 years after the fact] insights.

Quote:

in the last month i have learned a lot. a ton. and while ill live my full life looking into the catholic church ill never know close to everything. i understant that. thats what makes my faith to God shown through the acts and pracitices given to the catholic church from Peter who got his orders from Jesus, so amazing.
Awesome! Wecome home friend

Quote:

while one can argue certain people in the catholic church are corrupt ONE CAN NEVER say the FUNDAMENTAL BELIEF OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS CORUPT.

And what you do get comes from very likely "Bible Believing Curches" who ignore the seven books ommitted, deny or misinterpet passages that a fifth grader would understand. Such as Mt. 16:15-19, the Real Presence passages, Forgiveness of sins John20:19-23, and others. And claim to accept 2 Tim. 3:16? Simply incredible.

Quote:
i find it funny. all these claims from websites, all these claims from "evangelists" (who dont realize an evangelists job is to spread the word of God, not interpret it)

Don't understand your "V2 comments", can you clarify?

Love and prayers,

Pat

http://working4christtwo.wordpress.com

A.B. Fulton Sheen: "The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it."
Old Jan 11, '10, 7:19 pm

most holy family monestary is a group that are so militant vatican 1 followers that they consider anything from the vatican 2 to be wrong. they call people like pope john paul 2 and anti pope.

they are extreme. and i wanted people to know that while i dont support their views on vatican 2, i do think if they argued the funamental catholic view against other protestant people who make it their business to destroy the reputation of the catholic church, that the mhfm would eat those guys for breakfast.

Old Jan 12, '10, 1:00 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Informed, practicing RomanCatholic

THANKS

There position too is dangerous to he salvation of souls.

Love and prayers,
Pat

http://working4christtwo.wordpress.com

A.B. Fulton Sheen: "The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it."
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions