Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 29, '10, 7:03 pm

Religion: Catholic (RCIA)
Default Bible passages appropriate for a funeral

My grandfather passed away and his funeral is this weekend. The funeral will be at a protestant church and I have been asked to do old and new testament readings. So far I have looked at the day the wake is and used the verses from the Catholic Liturgical Calendar. Psalms 71:1 and 1Corinthians 13:4 I have to look for another group of passages. I was wondering if anyone had some passages that are appropriate for a funeral? Also, do Catholic funerals have the regular daily liturgy at the Mass or can the priest choose from appropriate passages?

I was looking for the passage about dying in Christ and being risen up in Baptism.
Old Jan 29, '10, 7:29 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Bible passages appropriate for a funeral

I read Wisdom 3:1-8 at my Father in Law's funeral. The one problem is that the book of Wisdom is one of the deutro-canonical books that the Protestant call 'apocrypha' and if you are reading out of their Bible, it might not be in there.
Old Jan 29, '10, 7:31 pm
Prayer Warrior

+May the Great Kindness of the Presence of our Lord comfort you and your family at this time of loss . . . below are some selections from Sacred Scripture that are often used for funerals . . .

Psalm 23

The LORD is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:
he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me
in the presence of mine enemies:
thou anointest my head with oil;
my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Jesus said unto her,
I am the resurrection, and the life:
he that believeth in me,
though he were dead,
yet shall he live:
And whosoever liveth and believeth in me
shall never die.
John 11:25

Therefore we are buried with him
by baptism into death:
that like as Christ was raised up from the dead
by the glory of the Father,
even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Romans 6:4

. . . all for Jesus+
. . . Sweet Spirit of our Holy God+
. . . guide and direct+

"But He answered and said,
It is written,
Man shall not live by bread alone, but by
every word
that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

- Jesus
Matthew 4:4
Old Jan 29, '10, 9:30 pm

Psalm 23 - The Lord is my Sheperd
Matthew 5 - The Beatitudes
Romans 5:5-11
John 6 - Discourse on The Bread of Life
Old Jan 29, '10, 9:33 pm
Prayer Warrior

Or are you unaware that we who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?

We were indeed buried with him through baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might live in newness of life.

For if we have grown into union with him through a death like his, we shall also be united with him in the resurrection.
Romans 6:3-5

My prayers are with you and your family.

I read Romans 8:31-39 at my grandfather's funeral
Old Jan 29, '10, 9:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Me Home View Post
My grandfather passed away and his funeral is this weekend. The funeral will be at a protestant church and I have been asked to do old and new testament readings. So far I have looked at the day the wake is and used the verses from the Catholic Liturgical Calendar. Psalms 71:1 and 1Corinthians 13:4 I have to look for another group of passages. I was wondering if anyone had some passages that are appropriate for a funeral? Also, do Catholic funerals have the regular daily liturgy at the Mass or can the priest choose from appropriate passages?

I was looking for the passage about dying in Christ and being risen up in Baptism.
At my (Southern Baptist) grandmother's funeral, I read the NT reading, and it was 1 Corinthians 15:51-58.

Old Jan 29, '10, 11:38 pm

Thanks everyone. I chose an old testament and new testament passage for the wake and funeral.

Wisdom 3:1-8
Romans 6:4-11

Psalms 71:1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 15-17
First Corinthians13:4-13

They are all quite beautiful
Old Jan 30, '10, 6:52 am
Prayer Warrior

Smile Re: Bible passages appropriate for a funeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Me Home View Post
Thanks everyone. I chose an old testament and new testament passage for the wake and funeral.

Wisdom 3:1-8
Romans 6:4-11

Psalms 71:1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 15-17
First Corinthians13:4-13

They are all quite beautiful
+Beautiful passages . . .

1 But the souls of the just are in the hand of God, and the torment of death shall not touch them. 2 In the sight of the unwise they seemed to die: and their departure was taken for misery: 3 And their going away from us, for utter destruction: but they are in peace. 4 And though in the sight of men they suffered torments, their hope is full of immortality. 5 Afflicted in few things, in many they shall be well rewarded: because God hath tried them, and found them worthy of himself. 6 As gold in the furnace he hath proved them, and as a victim of a holocaust he hath received them, and in time there shall be respect had to them. 7 The just shall shine, and shall run to and fro like sparks among the reeds. 8 They shall judge nations, and rule over people, and their Lord shall reign for ever. - Wisdom 3:1-8

4 For we are buried together with him by baptism into death; that as Christ is risen from the dead by the glory of the Father, so we also may walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection. 6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin may be destroyed, to the end that we may serve sin no longer. 7 For he that is dead is justified from sin. 8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall live also together with Christ: 9 Knowing that Christ rising again from the dead, dieth now no more, death shall no more have dominion over him. 10 For in that he died to sin, he died once; but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God: 11 So do you also reckon, that you are dead to sin, but alive unto God, in Christ Jesus our Lord. - Romans 6:4-11

1 A psalm on Solomon. 2 Give to the king thy judgment, O God: and to the king's son thy justice: To judge thy people with justice, and thy poor with judgment. 3 Let the mountains receive peace for the people: and the hills justice. 4 He shall judge the poor of the people, and he shall save the children of the poor: and he shall humble the oppressor. 5 And he shall continue with the sun, and before the moon, throughout all generations. 6 He shall come down like rain upon the fleece; and as showers falling gently upon the earth. ... 15 And he shall live, and to him shall be given of the gold of Arabia, for him they shall always adore: they shall bless him all the day. 16 And there shall be a firmament on the earth on the tops of mountains, above Libanus shall the fruit thereof be exalted: and they of the city shall flourish like the grass of the earth. 17 Let his name be blessed for evermore: his name continueth before the sun. And in him shall all the tribes of the earth be blessed: all nations shall magnify him. - Psalm 71:1-6,15-17

4 Charity is patient, is kind: charity envieth not, dealeth not perversely; is not puffed up; 5 Is not ambitious, seeketh not her own, is not provoked to anger, thinketh no evil; 6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth with the truth; 7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. 8 Charity never falleth away: whether prophecies shall be made void, or tongues shall cease, or knowledge shall be destroyed. 9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, that which is in part shall be done away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child. But, when I became a man, I put away the things of a child. 12 We see now through a glass in a dark manner; but then face to face. Now I know in part; but then I shall know even as I am known. 13 And now there remain faith, hope, and charity:, these three: but the greatest of these is charity . - I Corinthians 13:4-13

Thank you for sharing . . .

God bless . . .

. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank You Blessed Lord Jesus+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Mary+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Church+

"But He answered and said,
It is written,
Man shall not live by bread alone, but by
every word
that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

- Jesus
Matthew 4:4
Old Feb 1, '10, 10:26 pm

Thank you. I read the scripture passages this morning and yesterday evening.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture