Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Under which set of circumstances would you agree to support reunion between the Catholic and Orthodo
Orthodox Churches interested in union with the Catholic Church must accept all essential Catholic teaching and beliefs. 41 48.24%
Orthodox Churches are fully accepted under no pre-conditions. 12 14.12%
The Catholic Church must accept all of the essential Orthodox teachings. 14 16.47%
The Catholics and the Orthodox will meet halfway. 14 16.47%
There should not be a union between the Catholic and Orthodox Churches because they are two different Churches. 4 4.71%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 4, '10, 11:56 pm

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Do you support union of Catholic and Orthodox Churches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
I agree with choice number one. I'm just not sure that it would happen, but it would be wonderful if it did.
I dissagree with choice #1. That would be surrender, not reunion. The Orthodox would never agree to that option.

They talk about Catholic triumphalism, and that is what they mean.
Old Feb 5, '10, 3:12 am

Religion: Orthodox

I voted the last option. I honestly believe there can only be conversion, not union.

John
Old Feb 5, '10, 1:54 pm

Religion: Catholic (former Evangelical Protestant)
Send a message via MSN to twf

Pipper: many among the Orthodox also expect the 'surrender' or 'conversion' of the Catholic Church. It goes both ways.
Old Feb 5, '10, 7:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by twf View Post
Pipper: many among the Orthodox also expect the 'surrender' or 'conversion' of the Catholic Church. It goes both ways.
Yes as Podromos just showed. But we will be seperated forever if both churches are completely unwilling to give a little.

I really dont think that is the will of Our Lord at all.
Old Feb 5, '10, 8:25 pm

Religion: Between EO & RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipper View Post
Yes as Podromos just showed. But we will be seperated forever if both churches are completely unwilling to give a little.

I really dont think that is the will of Our Lord at all.
I voted for The Catholic Church must accept all of the essential Orthodox teachings. I highlighted essential because I believe there can be some give and take on non-essential things such as receiving communion (Body and Blood) separate as the RCC does now.
Old Feb 5, '10, 8:26 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic, in love with Trent.

Very simply:

Truth is not subject to compromise.

However, technical expressions of truth are. Truth is transcendent, and words are not wholly adequate. Therefore there should be more than one way to express a truth.
Old Feb 5, '10, 8:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigantine View Post
I voted for The Catholic Church must accept all of the essential Orthodox teachings. I highlighted essential because I believe there can be some give and take on non-essential things such as receiving communion (Body and Blood) separate as the RCC does now.
Brigantine it is getting popular in Catholic churches now to recieve the body and blood together, that is called intinction. The priest or eucharistic minister dips a host into the chalice and then places it on the recipeint's tounge, so that's pretty much a non issue.
Old Feb 5, '10, 8:53 pm

Religion: Between EO & RC

Quote:
Brigantine it is getting popular in Catholic churches now to recieve the body and blood together, that is called intinction. The priest or eucharistic minister dips a host into the chalice and then places it on the recipeint's tounge, so that's pretty much a non issue.
I did not know that!
Old Feb 5, '10, 9:40 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Great View Post
Very simply:

Truth is not subject to compromise.

However, technical expressions of truth are. Truth is transcendent, and words are not wholly adequate. Therefore there should be more than one way to express a truth.
Well said.

Jesus tells us that All of the Law and All of the Prophets are based upon two commandments with a total of 28 words in them.
Yet how many words have been written over the centuries trying to explain, calrify and expound upon these essential and fundemental truths.

I firmly believe that, over time, the East and the West will draw closer together and that eventually there will be a meeting of the minds, a meeting of the terms, and a meeting of how best to "express the truth", as you say above.

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Feb 5, '10, 9:57 pm

Religion: Eastern Orthodox
Send a message via AIM to Madaglan

Quote:
pipper, the only place I've seen intinction is in a Western Rite Orthodox parish (unleavened bread was used, too). Not saying it isn't done in Latin Catholic parishes, but I have not seen it and do not believe it to be widespread yet. Most parishes I've been to within the past several years, when they decide to offer the cup as well, have a separate extraordinary minister of holy communion for it. Maybe things have changed in the past two years since I stopped going to Latin parishes on a regular basis however.
Old Feb 5, '10, 10:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigantine View Post
I did not know that!
Their is much we don't know about each other. Many Catholics esp latin rite think the Orthodox don't believe in the Assumption of the Theotokos, but they do and just call it the Dormition. Same beleif two different words.

Mutual understanding is the begining to reunification.

But to many Orthodox (esp ROCOR and other Old Calendar people) and many very conservative Catholics Ecumenism is a bad word.
Old Feb 5, '10, 10:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaglan View Post
pipper, the only place I've seen intinction is in a Western Rite Orthodox parish (unleavened bread was used, too). Not saying it isn't done in Latin Catholic parishes, but I have not seen it and do not believe it to be widespread yet. Most parishes I've been to within the past several years, when they decide to offer the cup as well, have a separate extraordinary minister of holy communion for it. Maybe things have changed in the past two years since I stopped going to Latin parishes on a regular basis however.
Actually Catholics have some options for Holy Communion. In some places some can recieve the Host only kneeling and on the tounge. Another possibillity is to recieve on the toungue standing just the Host alone.

Another option in communion in the hand.

We can have the chalice seperately or by intictinction.

There is also variety between conservatve and less conservative parishes. It all depends on where you are. The more conservative parishes offer only the Sacred Host. and not the chalice at all.

It depends on where you are and the bishop.
Old Feb 5, '10, 10:22 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

Quote:
Their is much we don't know about each other. Many Catholics esp latin rite think the Orthodox don't believe in the Assumption of the Theotokos, but they do and just call it the Dormition. Same beleif two different words.

Mutual understanding is the begining to reunification.

But to many Orthodox (esp ROCOR and other Old Calendar people) and many very conservative Catholics Ecumenism is a bad word.
I'm afraid you are right in this. Even when the leaders of East and West reach accord on all of the issues there will be those on both sides who will squawk and bawk (sp?) and refuse to accept it.
Pride can be a deadly sin, as I'm sure we all agree.

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Feb 5, '10, 11:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKH View Post
I'm afraid you are right in this. Even when the leaders of East and West reach accord on all of the issues there will be those on both sides who will squawk and bawk (sp?) and refuse to accept it.
Pride can be a deadly sin, as I'm sure we all agree.

Peace
James
I belive that pride is the worst of sins.

When two Protestant churches unite the result is 3 churches. The united church and the two holding the conservatives who wanted to stay where they were.

But we need to be carefull here, there are a lot of very conservative Catholics here on this site.
Old Feb 6, '10, 3:01 am

Religion: Byzantine Catholic - Ruthenian Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaglan View Post
It isn't widely done in the Roman Church, but was done in some parishes on certain feasts. As a youth, it was always done on Corpus Christi in the parish I was in. Also on Easter.

The big thing, however, is that it's absolutely forbidden for a layperson to intinct; it HAS to be a deacon, priest, or bishop who performs the intinction... and Deacons only do so rarely.

It is, however, normative praxis in some of the Eastern churches. Maronites are well known for using intinction regularly; Chaldeans at least some times.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism