Catholic FAQ


We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Under which set of circumstances would you agree to support reunion between the Catholic and Orthodo
Orthodox Churches interested in union with the Catholic Church must accept all essential Catholic teaching and beliefs. 41 48.24%
Orthodox Churches are fully accepted under no pre-conditions. 12 14.12%
The Catholic Church must accept all of the essential Orthodox teachings. 14 16.47%
The Catholics and the Orthodox will meet halfway. 14 16.47%
There should not be a union between the Catholic and Orthodox Churches because they are two different Churches. 4 4.71%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #31  
Old Feb 4, '10, 11:56 pm
pipper pipper is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 25, 2009
Posts: 525
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Do you support union of Catholic and Orthodox Churches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
I agree with choice number one. I'm just not sure that it would happen, but it would be wonderful if it did.
I dissagree with choice #1. That would be surrender, not reunion. The Orthodox would never agree to that option.

They talk about Catholic triumphalism, and that is what they mean.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old Feb 5, '10, 3:12 am
prodromos prodromos is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 20, 2004
Posts: 2,203
Religion: Orthodox
Default Re: Do you support union of Catholic and Orthodox Churches?

I voted the last option. I honestly believe there can only be conversion, not union.

John
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Feb 5, '10, 1:54 pm
twf twf is online now
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 18, 2004
Posts: 2,804
Religion: Catholic (former Evangelical Protestant)
Send a message via MSN to twf
Default Re: Do you support union of Catholic and Orthodox Churches?

Pipper: many among the Orthodox also expect the 'surrender' or 'conversion' of the Catholic Church. It goes both ways.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old Feb 5, '10, 7:24 pm
pipper pipper is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 25, 2009
Posts: 525
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Do you support union of Catholic and Orthodox Churches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twf View Post
Pipper: many among the Orthodox also expect the 'surrender' or 'conversion' of the Catholic Church. It goes both ways.
Yes as Podromos just showed. But we will be seperated forever if both churches are completely unwilling to give a little.

I really dont think that is the will of Our Lord at all.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old Feb 5, '10, 8:25 pm
brigantine's Avatar
brigantine brigantine is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 13, 2009
Posts: 290
Religion: Between EO & RC
Default Re: Do you support union of Catholic and Orthodox Churches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipper View Post
Yes as Podromos just showed. But we will be seperated forever if both churches are completely unwilling to give a little.

I really dont think that is the will of Our Lord at all.
I voted for The Catholic Church must accept all of the essential Orthodox teachings. I highlighted essential because I believe there can be some give and take on non-essential things such as receiving communion (Body and Blood) separate as the RCC does now.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old Feb 5, '10, 8:26 pm
Leo_The_Great Leo_The_Great is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 12, 2009
Posts: 149
Religion: Roman Catholic, in love with Trent.
Default Re: Do you support union of Catholic and Orthodox Churches?

Very simply:

Truth is not subject to compromise.

However, technical expressions of truth are. Truth is transcendent, and words are not wholly adequate. Therefore there should be more than one way to express a truth.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old Feb 5, '10, 8:49 pm
pipper pipper is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 25, 2009
Posts: 525
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Do you support union of Catholic and Orthodox Churches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigantine View Post
I voted for The Catholic Church must accept all of the essential Orthodox teachings. I highlighted essential because I believe there can be some give and take on non-essential things such as receiving communion (Body and Blood) separate as the RCC does now.
Brigantine it is getting popular in Catholic churches now to recieve the body and blood together, that is called intinction. The priest or eucharistic minister dips a host into the chalice and then places it on the recipeint's tounge, so that's pretty much a non issue.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old Feb 5, '10, 8:53 pm
brigantine's Avatar
brigantine brigantine is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 13, 2009
Posts: 290
Religion: Between EO & RC
Default Re: Do you support union of Catholic and Orthodox Churches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipper View Post
Brigantine it is getting popular in Catholic churches now to recieve the body and blood together, that is called intinction. The priest or eucharistic minister dips a host into the chalice and then places it on the recipeint's tounge, so that's pretty much a non issue.
I did not know that!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old Feb 5, '10, 9:40 pm
JRKH's Avatar
JRKH JRKH is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: September 14, 2007
Posts: 22,196
Religion: Catholic Revert
Default Re: Do you support union of Catholic and Orthodox Churches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Great View Post
Very simply:

Truth is not subject to compromise.

However, technical expressions of truth are. Truth is transcendent, and words are not wholly adequate. Therefore there should be more than one way to express a truth.
Well said.

Jesus tells us that All of the Law and All of the Prophets are based upon two commandments with a total of 28 words in them.
Yet how many words have been written over the centuries trying to explain, calrify and expound upon these essential and fundemental truths.

I firmly believe that, over time, the East and the West will draw closer together and that eventually there will be a meeting of the minds, a meeting of the terms, and a meeting of how best to "express the truth", as you say above.
__________________
.... if I have all faith so as to move mountians but have not love, I am nothing. - (1Cor 13:2)


The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old Feb 5, '10, 9:57 pm
Madaglan's Avatar
Madaglan Madaglan is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 30, 2004
Posts: 3,388
Religion: Eastern Orthodox
Send a message via AIM to Madaglan
Default Re: Do you support union of Catholic and Orthodox Churches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipper View Post
Brigantine it is getting popular in Catholic churches now to recieve the body and blood together, that is called intinction. The priest or eucharistic minister dips a host into the chalice and then places it on the recipeint's tounge, so that's pretty much a non issue.
pipper, the only place I've seen intinction is in a Western Rite Orthodox parish (unleavened bread was used, too). Not saying it isn't done in Latin Catholic parishes, but I have not seen it and do not believe it to be widespread yet. Most parishes I've been to within the past several years, when they decide to offer the cup as well, have a separate extraordinary minister of holy communion for it. Maybe things have changed in the past two years since I stopped going to Latin parishes on a regular basis however.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old Feb 5, '10, 10:03 pm
pipper pipper is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 25, 2009
Posts: 525
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Do you support union of Catholic and Orthodox Churches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigantine View Post
I did not know that!
Their is much we don't know about each other. Many Catholics esp latin rite think the Orthodox don't believe in the Assumption of the Theotokos, but they do and just call it the Dormition. Same beleif two different words.

Mutual understanding is the begining to reunification.

But to many Orthodox (esp ROCOR and other Old Calendar people) and many very conservative Catholics Ecumenism is a bad word.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old Feb 5, '10, 10:15 pm
pipper pipper is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 25, 2009
Posts: 525
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Do you support union of Catholic and Orthodox Churches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaglan View Post
pipper, the only place I've seen intinction is in a Western Rite Orthodox parish (unleavened bread was used, too). Not saying it isn't done in Latin Catholic parishes, but I have not seen it and do not believe it to be widespread yet. Most parishes I've been to within the past several years, when they decide to offer the cup as well, have a separate extraordinary minister of holy communion for it. Maybe things have changed in the past two years since I stopped going to Latin parishes on a regular basis however.
Actually Catholics have some options for Holy Communion. In some places some can recieve the Host only kneeling and on the tounge. Another possibillity is to recieve on the toungue standing just the Host alone.

Another option in communion in the hand.

We can have the chalice seperately or by intictinction.

There is also variety between conservatve and less conservative parishes. It all depends on where you are. The more conservative parishes offer only the Sacred Host. and not the chalice at all.

It depends on where you are and the bishop.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old Feb 5, '10, 10:22 pm
JRKH's Avatar
JRKH JRKH is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: September 14, 2007
Posts: 22,196
Religion: Catholic Revert
Default Re: Do you support union of Catholic and Orthodox Churches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipper View Post
Their is much we don't know about each other. Many Catholics esp latin rite think the Orthodox don't believe in the Assumption of the Theotokos, but they do and just call it the Dormition. Same beleif two different words.

Mutual understanding is the begining to reunification.

But to many Orthodox (esp ROCOR and other Old Calendar people) and many very conservative Catholics Ecumenism is a bad word.
I'm afraid you are right in this. Even when the leaders of East and West reach accord on all of the issues there will be those on both sides who will squawk and bawk (sp?) and refuse to accept it.
Pride can be a deadly sin, as I'm sure we all agree.

Peace
James
__________________
.... if I have all faith so as to move mountians but have not love, I am nothing. - (1Cor 13:2)


The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old Feb 5, '10, 11:39 pm
pipper pipper is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 25, 2009
Posts: 525
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Do you support union of Catholic and Orthodox Churches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKH View Post
I'm afraid you are right in this. Even when the leaders of East and West reach accord on all of the issues there will be those on both sides who will squawk and bawk (sp?) and refuse to accept it.
Pride can be a deadly sin, as I'm sure we all agree.

Peace
James
I belive that pride is the worst of sins.

When two Protestant churches unite the result is 3 churches. The united church and the two holding the conservatives who wanted to stay where they were.

But we need to be carefull here, there are a lot of very conservative Catholics here on this site.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old Feb 6, '10, 3:01 am
Aramis Aramis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 31, 2007
Posts: 8,987
Religion: Byzantine Catholic - Ruthenian Church
Default Re: Do you support union of Catholic and Orthodox Churches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaglan View Post
pipper, the only place I've seen intinction is in a Western Rite Orthodox parish (unleavened bread was used, too). Not saying it isn't done in Latin Catholic parishes, but I have not seen it and do not believe it to be widespread yet. Most parishes I've been to within the past several years, when they decide to offer the cup as well, have a separate extraordinary minister of holy communion for it. Maybe things have changed in the past two years since I stopped going to Latin parishes on a regular basis however.
It isn't widely done in the Roman Church, but was done in some parishes on certain feasts. As a youth, it was always done on Corpus Christi in the parish I was in. Also on Easter.

The big thing, however, is that it's absolutely forbidden for a layperson to intinct; it HAS to be a deacon, priest, or bishop who performs the intinction... and Deacons only do so rarely.

It is, however, normative praxis in some of the Eastern churches. Maronites are well known for using intinction regularly; Chaldeans at least some times.
__________________
Aramis
Alaskan, Catholic. Born Roman Rite, then soundly Ruthenianized.
Wikipedia: Ruthenian | Download the Ruthenian Pew Book
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8295Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: eschator83
5059CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
4348Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: Marla Frances
4032OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: lucia kay
3848SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3598Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3254Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3210Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3177Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3062For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Kellyreneeomara



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:33 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.