Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Under which set of circumstances would you agree to support reunion between the Catholic and Orthodo
Orthodox Churches interested in union with the Catholic Church must accept all essential Catholic teaching and beliefs. 41 48.24%
Orthodox Churches are fully accepted under no pre-conditions. 12 14.12%
The Catholic Church must accept all of the essential Orthodox teachings. 14 16.47%
The Catholics and the Orthodox will meet halfway. 14 16.47%
There should not be a union between the Catholic and Orthodox Churches because they are two different Churches. 4 4.71%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 6, '10, 9:00 pm
Banned

Religion: Olde fashioned Christian
Smile Re: Do you support union of Catholic and Orthodox Churches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardukm View Post
Dear brother Michael,

Don't the EO believe that - despite this sorry state of affairs - there was really only ONE true Pope at the time?

Blessings
I don't think the Orthodox have a position on this event, which happened outside of their church.
Old Feb 6, '10, 10:30 pm
Banned

Religion: Olde fashioned Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetCatechumen View Post
Many of the Orthodox, however, seem to want us to abandon the things that make us Western Christians, and they forget that we are just as ancient as they are. They want us to abandon the Pauline Mass and the Tridentine Mass. They want us to abandon statues and the rosary. They want us to change many nit-picky liturgical things.
Where do you get this?

I would like you to provide a backup to these allegations, not that I think you are absolutely wrong (maybe someone somewhere thinks like that ) but because I for one do not remember any Orthodox around here saying this.

We don't normally put statues in our temple, of course, but who is it among the Orthodox that want you to remove yours? Certainly not me.

Orthodox only know what you can tell us about the Pauline Mass, since it is not our Mass and we don't attend. If it is abused we could only know that if you tell us, and the Traditionalist section of CAF is full of that: Catholics berating their own Mass.

As for your allegation that we want you to abandon your Mass? Codswallop.

And the complaints about Latinization are an Eastern Catholic concern. They are the ones who have been dumped on, and they are the ones (after the encouragement of Rome) who are working to remove them.
Old Feb 7, '10, 7:12 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert
Default Re: Do you support union of Catholic and Orthodox Churches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetCatechumen
Many of the Orthodox, however, seem to want us to abandon the things that make us Western Christians, and they forget that we are just as ancient as they are. They want us to abandon the Pauline Mass and the Tridentine Mass. They want us to abandon statues and the rosary. They want us to change many nit-picky liturgical things.
Where do you get this?

I would like you to provide a backup to these allegations, not that I think you are absolutely wrong (maybe someone somewhere thinks like that ) but because I for one do not remember any Orthodox around here saying this.

We don't normally put statues in our temple, of course, but who is it among the Orthodox that want you to remove yours? Certainly not me.

Orthodox only know what you can tell us about the Pauline Mass, since it is not our Mass and we don't attend. If it is abused we could only know that if you tell us, and the Traditionalist section of CAF is full of that: Catholics berating their own Mass.

And the complaints about Latinization are an Eastern Catholic concern. They are the ones who have been dumped on, and they are the ones (after the encouragement of Rome) who are working to remove them.
Dear Friends,
Here we have a perfect example of why we should leave these types of discussions to those charged with working out the differences.
Apparently, Wetcatachuman heard some things that he attributes to "Many Orthodox". Hesychios rightly takes issue with this as it sound to him (and to me) like this is just "people talking" and not "official beliefs"
How many times do we run into this with our protestant brothers as well. They think the Church teaches this or that because some, "catholic" told them so. Let us please recognize that neither the Church in the East or in the West is going to make any decision that is not in accord with Truth. Rather let us pray that these men move forward in Love and that we be humble enough to accept whatever changes God wills in order to make reunification possible.

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Feb 7, '10, 8:01 am
Forum Elder

This kind of talk is what the author Terry Pratchett quite rightly labels as, 'A man heard it down the pub so it must be true'. Who are these 'many Orthodox'? As JRKH points out they fall into that large group of misinformed people you get in all Churches. I'm sure if we were honest with ourselves we could think of times when we've found what we think the Church teaches and what it really does are different. One example I can think of here is the fact that the Church teaches we worship the same God as Islam. A fact many Catholics, especially those in the US, find hard to swallow and so they try and say we don't worship the same God or say the Church only put these passages in due to political correctness.
Old Feb 7, '10, 8:15 am

Religion: One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Lightbulb Re: Do you support union of Catholic and Orthodox Churches?

My vote was based on the best possible choice not always my true choice. This unfortunately is how a democracy works.
Thank God the Church is not a democracy!
The Holy Spirit will guide her not the unholy vote.
As for unity who can call themselves Christian and not want unity?
John 17 Jesus prayer is for unity.

Peace all.
jim
Old Feb 7, '10, 2:21 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Quote:
Many of the Orthodox, however, seem to want us to abandon the things that make us Western Christians
Where do you get this? ...I for one do not remember any Orthodox around here saying this.
I have a friend who belongs to ROCOR who says this kind of thing, but I've never heard anyone here say it. As far as I know, it's a private opinion of his.
Old Feb 7, '10, 4:30 pm
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspirant View Post
I have a friend who belongs to ROCOR who says this kind of thing, but I've never heard anyone here say it. As far as I know, it's a private opinion of his.
Considering that ROCOR has Western Rite parishes...
Old Feb 7, '10, 5:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybearer View Post
Considering that ROCOR has Western Rite parishes...
And my friend is opposed to that. Like I said, I think it's just a private opinion of his.
Old Feb 7, '10, 5:09 pm

Religion: Between EO & RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspirant View Post
And my friend is opposed to that. Like I said, I think it's just a private opinion of his.
It is just his opinion. Most Orthodox, including Saint Tikhon, favored having a Western Rite.
Old Feb 7, '10, 5:13 pm

Yup. I would never ascribe his views to other Orthodox folk.
Old Feb 7, '10, 6:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKH View Post
Dear Friends,
Here we have a perfect example of why we should leave these types of discussions to those charged with working out the differences.
Apparently, Wetcatachuman heard some things that he attributes to "Many Orthodox". Hesychios rightly takes issue with this as it sound to him (and to me) like this is just "people talking" and not "official beliefs"
How many times do we run into this with our protestant brothers as well. They think the Church teaches this or that because some, "catholic" told them so. Let us please recognize that neither the Church in the East or in the West is going to make any decision that is not in accord with Truth. Rather let us pray that these men move forward in Love and that we be humble enough to accept whatever changes God wills in order to make reunification possible.

Peace
James
JL: Amen I'll vote for that.
Tiber swim team 73. Jn14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. (Christ) Lk1:48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: (Mary) for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. The Ultimate truth is CHRIST who is TRUTH.
Old Feb 7, '10, 8:10 pm

Religion: Orthodox

Scripture tells us what makes us Christian, so we are, indeed, unified. There's this vehement insistence that it really matters whether we are sprinkled, poured or dunked, married, unmarried, etc. but whether God really minds is the question.
'for God is not a God of confusion, but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.' (1 Cor. 14:33)
Old Feb 7, '10, 9:15 pm

Religion: Catholic - Somewhere between Roman and Ruthenian

Quote:
Where do you get this?

First, let me say that I do not know much about the ecumenical dialogue at the church level. I failed to specify in my original post that I am not talking about the grander scheme of things. These particular issues that I have recognized tend to be more grassroots. I read at least one article on unity written by an Orthodox priest (not a bishop) and I have read the writings of Orthodox laity that express opinions such as these, and I have spoken to Orthodox in real life who raise objections like these. Sadly, I do not have direct citations readily available, nor can I remember the priest who wrote the article. I apologize. My post was not meant to be scholarly, and you are free to dismiss it out of hand if you wish.

I am not saying that Byzantinization is a real concern for the Western church - we are firm in our traditions, and the real danger is the Eastern traditions being squashed out by overwhelming numbers on our side, and a history of forced Latinization on our part. I was merely positing that some on the Orthodox side seem to want this.

A few here, as I recall, but mostly it has been talk elsewhere. I did not mean to give this impression.

Also, I would link to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western...tine_Rite_only

Yes, I know that this article makes few citations on the criticism. However, someone bothered to write that there are criticisms concerning Western Rite Orthodoxy - and that they are essentially saying that only the Byzantine Rite should be allowed.

Clearly, there are people who think along these lines. How can unity be achieved? Those who favor "Byzantine Rite only" seem to want mass conversion to Eastern Christianity, not unity of the East and West.
Old Feb 8, '10, 5:07 am

Quote from Breathing Deeply,with One Lung by ANDREW T. kANIA

"For many Latin Catholics the mention of Eastern or Oriental Churches is understood as a reference to “the Orthodox Churches”, to those Churches of the East which are not in full communion with the Catholic Church governed by the successor of Peter and the bishops in communion with him.

This misconception is explored through the work of the Ukrainian Catholic scholar and Basilian monk, Anthony Holowaychuk. According to Holowaychuk not only is there a need to make the Latin Church aware of her Eastern Catholic Church brethren, but on a similar plane there is a critical need to make the Latin Church aware of her own sister Churches of the West. The process of making the Church more Catholic is one which has a number of focuses: First, that both East and West understand re-discover and come to understand the other; Second, that on the level of both Eastern and Western that they come to a level of self-discovery – coming to know exactly who they are as a particular lung within the Corpus Christi. It is on this latter point where the Latin Church, so long thought of as the monolithic rite of the West, must break open this false perception within Her, and discover Her role in the sisterhood of Western Churches. Perhaps in the future “there will be from the Latin Church the development of many particular Churches”(Holowaychuk, 1988, p.217).

I post this because it might throw some light on this topic---There are wonderful articles in The Ukraniane Orthodox sights---I recomend everyone to read the full article of what Andrew T. Kania wrote,very informative indeed.He belongs to the Ukranian Orthodox Church.
Old Feb 8, '10, 5:24 am

http://www.catholicukes.org.au/tiki-...a%27s+Articles

The above is the link to Dr.Andrew T Kania ,he is studying in Oxford University--I searched the Web and found that he comes from Australia,a very impressive person indeed.!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism