Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Benedict XVI: 2005

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Apr 29, '05, 10:57 am

Religion: Latin Catholic who loves Eastern Catholicism too!
Default Re: Pope's coat of arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac
BillyT92679:

"Well, it isn't the Tiara."
Yes… it is… in a different artistic form. The meaning is still there.

"It's an episcopal mitre."
Which is what the tiara is for the Supreme Pontiff.

"The Tiara isn't a liturgical headdress, it's a crown for the Sovereign Pontiff."
A half-truth is worse than a whole lie. The tiara is both a liturgical instrument and a crown… as is any miter for any bishop. A miter is not merely a "liturgical headdress" it is a symbol of power and authority for any ecclesiastic who possess it… just as the ring and pallium are. Give me a break.

"Whatever similarities the Tiara has to the mitre that might exist are only tangential."
ROFL…

"The Tiara was never used at any Latin Rite Mass."
Yes, it was…

"(Blessed John XXIII for example did use the Tiara while celebrating a Pontifical Divine Liturgy because of its similarities to the Byzantine mitres.)"
Another half-truth. What is it with you and half-truths? Either you do not know much about the subject or you are intentionally misleading people. He used it then and at his coronation/installation mass, as did Paul VI after him.

"It was only used in processions and to deliver the Urbi et Orbi... the Pope as Sovereign."
Wrong. It was also worn at high feasts and solemnities; at official doctrinal proclamations; etc.

"I really don't care one way or the other, I think ultra-traditionalists might be upset that it is a removal of a millenial old tradition."
You obviously care, as your first and now second post smacks of deconstructionist elitism and arrogance. If you did not care you would not have posted an error, which you thought to be true, with glee and then defended it when it was taken apart. Come… come now… my good fellow. For the record, there were popes during the "millenial old tradition" who did not use the tiara in their arms. It did not then, and it does not now, invalidate its continued use and symbolism.
Your lack of charity to me is astonigshing. I'm every bit as orthodox and as loyal to the magisterium of the Church as you are. It is wrong of you to calumnate me on a message board.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Benedict XVI: 2005