Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 2, '10, 11:38 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to cthomasgunter
Default Patron Saint of Suicide and Healing (advice on suicide and healing)

I have a dear friend who has lost both her father and ex boyfriend to suicide. This has terribly disturbed her faith. Fortunately she is slowly but surely coming back around. The topic of suicide and Catholicism came up the other day. She had told me that she could never be Catholic because of what the Church teaches on suicide. She told me that her religion professor had told her that Catholics believe that those who have committed suicide are definitively in Hell. I knew this was wrong because I had read the true Catholic stance in my Catechism. I immediately went to my Catechism to show her what it said in regards to suicide. Family and friends of those whom have committed suicide should not despair over their salvation despite the fact that the act is objectively sinful. Through means known by God alone they can still inherit eternal salvation. It is the Churches role to offer compassion and prayers for family members and friends of the deceased as well as those whom have taken their own lives. She was very pleased to see that the Catholic Church said that her loved ones could still gain salvation. Thankfully she is beginning to warm up to the Catholic Church. Her and I would both appreciate it if you could share your experiences with suicide, healing and the Church. Is there a patron saint of suicide and healing I can recommend to her? Thank you! Grace and Peace.
Old Mar 2, '10, 11:44 pm
Prayer Warrior

Default Re: Patron Saint of Suicide and Healing (advice on suicide and healing)

There's a story about St Padre Pio that maybe you could share with your friend

St Padre Pio had numerous spiritual gifts.. people came to him to ask questions, for healings, Confession, etc. One lady came to him and told him that she's really worried that her son is in hell, because he committed suicide by jumping off a bridge, I think. St Padre Pio looked at her and said - not to worry, because he repented right before he died, as he was jumping, and that God saved his soul.

Maybe you could encourage your friend to pray the Divine Mercy chaplet for her father and ex boyfriend, because maybe God can apply it to the past as well, and help them with repentance. Maybe you could also pray the Chaplet with her

God bless

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Old Mar 3, '10, 5:07 am

Greetings and peace be with you cthomasgunter

I wonder if Jesus died to forgive all sins, apart from suicide. I wonder sometimes in the way we make judgements about other people, will we be judged by our own standards.

Life is a constant struggle, and there but the grace of God go I, there is so much injustice in this world, which can lead people to despair and to take their own life.

In so many ways we need to find ways to forgive, and let go. Sometimes we blame God for the horrible ways people die. But life is not about our life in this world, God can restore all things in a greater good life after death.

Despite all our problems there is the need to pray, and to thank God for all that he does for us, I sense that God will act in a far greater way after we die to this world

Every blessing

Eric
Old Mar 3, '10, 9:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomasgunter View Post
I She had told me that she could never be Catholic because of what the Church teaches on suicide. She told me that her religion professor had told her that Catholics believe that those who have committed suicide are definitively in Hell. .
As you said, this is not true. Was the religion professor Catholic, I wonder? The Catholic Church teaches that we cannot know that anyone is "definitively in Hell".

St. Dymphna is the patron saint of those with mental illness. I think I read somewhere, or heard, that St. Therese of Lisieux had a priest friend for whom she prayed, but he committed suicide. You might look that up. Additionally, Therese's father lost his mind shortly after she entered religious life; while he didn't commit suicide, he did have to be institutionalized. Hope some of this is helpful.
Old Mar 3, '10, 10:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student09 View Post
As you said, this is not true. ...The Catholic Church teaches that we cannot know that anyone is "definitively in Hell".
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomasgunter View Post
Is there a patron saint of suicide and healing I can recommend to her? Thank you! Grace and Peace.
The angel St. Raphael is one among many traditional patrons for healing, for all ills and sicknesses, whether physical or mental.

Sts. Michael the Archangel and Joseph (of the Holy Family) are among traditional patrons of a holy death (i.e. when praying for death in a state of grace). The "Hail Mary," of course, contains a prayer for "the hour of our death" too.

St. Joseph seems a particularly apt patron when praying for one's father.
Old Mar 3, '10, 7:48 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Suicide is wrong, but the Church teaches; "Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide." (CCC 2282).

Stop listening to ignorant fools who try to tell you lies about what the Church teaches!

Read what the Catholic Church actually teaches in the Catechism here; http://<font color="Blue">http://www...ccc.htm</font>

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

(JOHN 6:35 & 48)

"For man has in his heart a law inscribed by God. . . . His conscience is man's most secret core and his sanctuary. There he is alone with God whose voice echoes in his depths." (CCC 1776).
Old Mar 3, '10, 8:09 pm

Religion: Methodist

st. dymphna is the patron saint of mental health and also incest victims
Old Mar 21, '10, 9:45 pm

Religion: Lutheran wanting to be Catholic

Though the circumstances are no doubt substantially different, St. Apollonia voluntarily jumped into the flames.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality