Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Dowsing is:
A supernatural gift from God. 0 0%
Satanic (divination and magic). 3 9.38%
Unknown natural phenomena. 14 43.75%
Bunch of hooey. 15 46.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 3, '10, 3:53 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Dowsing

Background:
As a 14 year old kid I discovered the ability to find water sources with wooden dowsing (divining) rods. My father also found to have that ability. I know that there are many skeptics and this post is not to try to persuade anyone to believe in that "magic" force. All I know that I could feel the pull towards or away from the ground, presumably a water source. Interestingly, it worked great next to a water hydrant. I have found to have lost that ability shortly after moving from Europe to the U.S. I haven't tested it in years and frankly don't intend to at this point.

Question:
Do you believe that the church's prohibition on divination and magic extends to dowsing?
Old Mar 3, '10, 4:13 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: Dowsing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusza View Post
Background:
As a 14 year old kid I discovered the ability to find water sources with wooden dowsing (divining) rods. My father also found to have that ability. I know that there are many skeptics and this post is not to try to persuade anyone to believe in that "magic" force. All I know that I could feel the pull towards or away from the ground, presumably a water source. Interestingly, it worked great next to a water hydrant. I have found to have lost that ability shortly after moving from Europe to the U.S. I haven't tested it in years and frankly don't intend to at this point.

Question:
Do you believe that the church's prohibition on divination and magic extends to dowsing?
I voted "hooey", but that's probably colored by my own experiences. In my locale, it's called "water witching" or "witching for water", which has a sort of ominous name to it. When I was a kid, there was an old guy who was widely known to be able to "witch for water". I saw him do it, and sure enough, some guys dug down and there was water.

It wasn't exactly thought of as supernatural, more just one of those "folklore magic" things which were then common in the Ozarks, where I grew up. Some people attributed it to magnetism. Some said there was some affinity hickory (it had to be hickory) had for water (and it was believed, without any good evidence I could discern, that hickory trees were particularly vulnerable to lightning)

So anyway, I thought I would try my hand at it. Got me a hickory limb and carved a forked stick. You have to hold it in a peculiar sort of way that's kind of unstable. Sure enough, before long, the end of the stick dived. My brother and I dug and sure enough...water!

Then he did it, with the same result. We repeated it with the same result. After a bit we began to really question the whole thing, and decided to just dig for water without even using the stick. Sure enough, water. Well, it turns out that this area is such that you'll find water almost anywhere you dig. The hills are karst limestone with sinkholes and water layers everywhere. In the valleys, the creeks and springs actually extend to the edges of the valleys underground, though you can't tell it from the surface.

So, yes, I think it's hooey, just like I think all the many, many ghost stories around here are hooey, and like I think the will-o-the-wisp is hooey.

But you know, when you're out in the woods on a dark night, and in the corner of your eye you see yellow or orange or red light that disappears when you try to look right at it, you can tell yourself it's foxfire all you want, and you can still half believe it's the ghosts of Indians or old settlers the old-timers tell you about. And when you are in a deep hollow at night and you hear something splashing in the water of a spring behind you somewhere, you can believe almost anything.
Old Mar 3, '10, 4:18 pm
Forum Elder

I didn't answer the question, though, did I?

I think the Church's position would be if you think it's some kind of magnetic force or something, no problem. If you believe it's somehow magic, it's a problem.
Old Mar 3, '10, 4:21 pm

Thanks for an honest response. FYI, some other kids would try it too and I was the only one experiencing the pull. It wasn't everywhere, just in some spots and hydrants. I can vouch that I wasn't trying to make the rod move as I would experiment with different holds, even firm ones, with the same result. If I was just fooling myself I wouldn't have lost that ability, would I?
Old Mar 3, '10, 4:26 pm
Radio Club Member

I fall between Satanic and a bunch of hooey.
Somebody called CA Live about this awhile back & Jimmy Akin said it would fall under the prohibition, his take being divining rod = divination, duh!

Obviously most folks who do this don't have any evil intent & think they just have some sort of natural talent but the same can be said of more dangerous things like "psychic readings".

Old Mar 3, '10, 4:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by didymus View Post
I fall between Satanic and a bunch of hooey.
Somebody called CA Live about this awhile back & Jimmy Akin said it would fall under the prohibition, his take being divining rod = divination, duh!

Obviously most folks who do this don't have any evil intent & think they just have some sort of natural talent but the same can be said of more dangerous things like "psychic readings".

I avoided using the term "diving rod" precisely because it could be an old misnomer that sways the vote. But then again, perhaps it's the right term, hence my question.
Old Mar 3, '10, 4:47 pm
Banned

I have absolutely not idea what a dowsing rod is...it detects water? How so? Is it just a stick or something?

Also, why would the devil help you detect water? Of what purpose would it be? Also, if the devil is capable of making people have supernatural abilities, how do we not know that every miracle ever was not just the devil?
Old Mar 3, '10, 5:46 pm

Religion: Coming home soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopeople View Post
Also, if the devil is capable of making people have supernatural abilities, how do we not know that every miracle ever was not just the devil?
Well, that's why it is important that we use discernment, and not take every miracle at face value.
Old Mar 3, '10, 7:31 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I think it's a bunch of hooey. If you dig deep enough you're bound to find groundwater because it's all over the place. Finding water is not exactly a miracle. Now finding drinkable water is a little harder because most groundwaters have heavy concentration of salts and ions.
Old Mar 3, '10, 8:08 pm
Banned

Same as all superstitious stuff. Hooey.
Old Mar 4, '10, 12:06 am

Smoke and mirrors. You can dig almost anywhere and eventualy find water.

Peace :-), Jermosh
Old Mar 4, '10, 3:24 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusza View Post
Background:

Question:
Dowsing is divining and all forms of divination are a grave sin.

CCC 2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.
Old Mar 4, '10, 3:28 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
Dowsing is divining and all forms of divination are a grave sin.

CCC 2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.
Which was convenient in the past because it meant you could easily persecute pagans. Weed out the competition.
Old Mar 4, '10, 6:41 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schn View Post
Which was convenient in the past because it meant you could easily persecute pagans. Weed out the competition.
Divination was condemned in the Judeo-Christian tradition back when pagans were on the persecuting end, and were for centuries. Not persuasive.
Old Mar 4, '10, 2:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermosh View Post
Smoke and mirrors. You can dig almost anywhere and eventualy find water.
I actually never looked, dug for, or found water except when the stick pointed at a hydrant, but I most definitely felt the pull of an unknown force, sometimes quite strong and unmistakable. FWIW, had it not been for those experiences I would probably also be a skeptic . Of course, I don't intend to try it again over the concern that it might indeed be demonic (I'm quite happy to be a Catholic in good standing even if I wasn't then), so I would discourage others as well. I will probably discuss it with a priest, since I never have.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology