Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #31  
Old Mar 3, '10, 1:07 pm
adstrinity adstrinity is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 9, 2005
Posts: 3,482
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to adstrinity Send a message via Yahoo to adstrinity
Default Re: Medjugorje, Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtlig View Post
Q: We went on a pilgrimage and we were blessed to stay at your house once and we noticed the Popeís shoes are in a little display at your house. Can you tell us how Pope John Paul IIís shoes arrived there?

A: I am the only one of 6 visionaries who was lucky enough, had the honor, to encounter Pope John Paul II. You can imagine how the other 5 are jealous of me. [laughter] Jakov always says, "Oh, yea, you have been with Pope..."

I was in the Vatican, St. Peterís Basilica, with an Italian priest. Holy Father was walking by and he was blessing us. When he approached me, he blessed me and he just continued to walk. However, this Italian priest loudly said to him, "Holy Father, this is Mirjana from Medjugorje." He came back and blessed me again and he set out. And I said to the priest, "He just thinks I need a double blessing." But then after, the priest received a note, an invitation to Castle Gandolfo, close to Rome, in order to encounter the Pope. I couldnít sleep all night because I really loved him and I respected him and I could really feel his love for Our Lady.

So the next day when the Pope and I met alone, I was just crying. I couldnít say a word out of excitement. He noticed that I was excited. I think he tried to talk to me in Polish because he thought in the Slavic languages there are things in common. I didnít understand a word! But I finally had enough strength and courage, I asked him, "What are you trying to tell me?" Then we talked. Among other things he said to me, "I know everything about Medjugorje. Iíve been following Medjugorje. Ask pilgrims to pray for my intentions, to keep, to take good care of Medjugorje, because Medjugorje is hope for the entire world. And if I were not Pope, I would have been in Medjugorje a long time ago."

So recently on the Mount of Apparitions, I saw a pair of shoes of the Pope in front of me, and after the apparition, this gentleman who brought these shoes (he didnít introduce himself), he said, "It was the Popeís desire for a long time to come to Medjugorje. I had said, ĎIf you do not go, I will take your shoes.í And that is how I brought his shoes, so they may be present during the apparition."


Ugh!!! She's a proud little liar, isn't she? It's all about her and her 15 minutes? Really? And people hold to this?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the show for one reason and one reason only: So I know how to pronounce, "Medjugorje," from here on out.
__________________
Catholicism is the law of life, the life of the intelligence, the solution of all problems. Catholicism is the truth, and everything that departs from it one iota, is disorder, deception, and error. - Juan Donoso Cortes
  #32  
Old Mar 3, '10, 1:43 pm
Lormar's Avatar
Lormar Lormar is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: December 2, 2009
Posts: 3,289
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: CAL to cover Medjugorje (3/24/10)

I'm looking forward to this show too. But prepare yourselves for the onslaught of the pro-Medg people...they're a well organized group.

Personally, I think it is enough evidence of the diabolical as to how they refuse to face facts which are presented to them - and the disobedience is a dead give away. In our diocese, there is a pilgrimage going there this year - completely ignoring the Vatican directives.
  #33  
Old Mar 3, '10, 1:44 pm
Lormar's Avatar
Lormar Lormar is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: December 2, 2009
Posts: 3,289
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: CAL to cover Medjugorje (3/24/10)

One more thing - why don't you have two hour shows when there is a topic like this?
  #34  
Old Mar 3, '10, 1:46 pm
spn82756 spn82756 is offline
Banned
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: March 12, 2009
Posts: 1,599
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: CAL to cover Medjugorje (3/24/10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lormar View Post
I'm looking forward to this show too. But prepare yourselves for the onslaught of the pro-Medg people...they're a well organized group.

Personally, I think it is enough evidence of the diabolical as to how they refuse to face facts which are presented to them - and the disobedience is a dead give away. In our diocese, there is a pilgrimage going there this year - completely ignoring the Vatican directives.
Many many people have been duped. How can anyone believe in something that promotes dissention between priests and bishops. Very very sad. Mary herself must be crying.
  #35  
Old Mar 3, '10, 2:33 pm
Patrick Coffin Patrick Coffin is offline
Host, Catholic Answers Live
 
Join Date: March 2, 2009
Posts: 183
Religion: Happy Catholic
Default Re: CAL to cover Medjugorje (3/24/10)

I can tell that March 24 is going to be a seminal day for Catholic Answers Live. To my knowledge no other Catholic media has been willing to touch Medjugorje in 30 years, in any depth.

Both sides of this phenomenon will be heard, but I can already tell you that the bulk of the callers will be, shall we say, fervently pro-Medj. And that's great. The entire audience should be able to hear how the supporters of a (pointedly unapproved) private revelation react when presented with documented facts. Many (not all) Medj supporters are severely allergic to facts. It is a curious thing to observe. This should be a cause for sadness, because a lot is at stake in the whole phenomenon as to who gets to teach what in the Catholic Church.

We will be very charitable (can anyone imagine Patrick Madrid having an angry meltdown...hey, wait, that would be fun to watch!), but seriously, there are a great number of sincere Catholics who have gone to Medj and had beautiful graces from the Lord. And we praise God for all His work, regardless of context. Most of these same people have never heard a drop about the bad fruits, which are blatant, undeniable, and numerous.

The question is: what is our authority? It comes down to this, and invariably does in any conflict like this.

On March 24, we won't go near rumor, innuendo or conjecture. Mr. Madrid is very committed to hewing closely to magisterial and episcopal sources and documentation. Naturally, we've already been labeled "biased" by zealous Medj supporters (even though we warmly welcome any calls from any perspective) and "imprudent" by non-pro-Medj people for even speaking up. But this is radio, baby!

Our goal is to shed light on an issue that is all-too-famous for its heat. To say the least, there is much more to the story. And our listeners deserve a balanced treatment that respects the person of the local bishop and leaves the absolute, final and definitive judgment up to our Holy Father.
  #36  
Old Mar 3, '10, 3:02 pm
Chris C. Chris C. is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 25, 2004
Posts: 292
Religion: RC
Default Re: CAL to cover Medjugorje (3/24/10)

Patrick,

I haven't posted to these forums in years, but this is quite an occasion! The suggestions to consider making this a two-hour segment are worthy. That the show takes place on the Eve of the Annunciation is significant. I know Our Lady will be interceding on your behalf and on behalf of CA Live, my favorite radio program (and that includes Car Talk!).

Pax et bonum,

Chris Check
Exec VP
The Rockford Institute
www.ChroniclesMagazine.org
  #37  
Old Mar 3, '10, 4:59 pm
Patrick Coffin Patrick Coffin is offline
Host, Catholic Answers Live
 
Join Date: March 2, 2009
Posts: 183
Religion: Happy Catholic
Default Re: CAL to cover Medjugorje (3/24/10)

Glad you and others have raised it, Mr. Check, so let me mention it now: the second hour will be a Q&A Open Forum with Patrick Madrid, and if all the callers then want to keep the ball rolling in the discussion, we're wide open. A nine hour show on Medj would still not cover it all...
  #38  
Old Mar 3, '10, 11:37 pm
Bob4BVM Bob4BVM is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 10, 2009
Posts: 631
Religion: Catholic,finally. Thx to God for His infinite patience !
Default Re: Medjugorje, Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by adstrinity View Post
[/color]

Ugh!!! She's a proud little liar, isn't she? It's all about her and her 15 minutes? Really? And people hold to this?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the show for one reason and one reason only: So I know how to pronounce, "Medjugorje," from here on out.

Liar you say ? Oh, that isn't the half of it, you see ! Better add up all the deliberately made-up lies about what the BVM has been 'telling' Mirijana and the other 5 seers for the past 29 years.
THAT is a LOT of lies folks ! All those 'made up' lies ! Lies about what ? Why... , lies about the Blessed Mother of course... putting words into the mouth of the Mother of God. And they have been doing it since they were kids !!
And we might as well add that the local Franciscan priests are aiding and abetting in all this deceit in the name of the BVM ?

Now, in all that time, if there had been ONE instance of one of those messages containing anything contrary to Church teaching, the Vatican would have been compelled to close it all down, but it has not.
Do you really believe that in all those thousands of messages, there would be no conflict with church teaching if the kids were making this all up ???? That's a LOT of LIES, folks ! And not one slip ?? Oh, that's right, the "Franciscans were helping them craft the lies", ...every day... yeah, sure.

The facts are this:
-The Vatican will pull the plug if it finds any messages contrary to the Faith...has not happened so far.
-The Vatican will not / can not in prudence make any final decision until the phenomena ends. This has been the case with every other apparition of the BVM, it is the wise and prudent thing to do.
-The apparitions have been neither officially approved or condemned by the Vatican.
-No one is forbidden to go there on personal pilgrammage
-OFFICIAL church or Parish -sponsored/organized pilgrammages ARE forbidden--so as to not imply any tacit RCC approval before the Vatican rules on it.

I, like you, once scoffed at testimony of personal sprirtual experiences and apparitions. Now it's all changed..How? I am not about to deny it to anyone:
By the (ok for you to smirk if you like, I can forgive you ! ) FRUITS of God's grace which Mary brought into my life.
I'm talking about Drastic, Positive,Change. Immediate and humbling.
Most obviously from outside of myself.
And I have absolutely zero natural explanations.
That leaves me with only 2 supernatural explanations: God or satan.
If this change in my life was the work of Satan, it was his biggest screw-up of all time.

Sorry if that seems a bit much. I know the change I have experienced. and if anyone has a better explanation for my own experiences than the obvious grace of God, I am all ears. So far I've had no takers on that. .

So, yes, I went. More acurately, I was dragged by my dear wife.
At the time I was quite certain that these people were crazy, chasing halfway round the world in search of a Faith that is so well presented at every celebration of Mass in their own church.
Being a convert to the CC, I honestly had no idea whatsoever that Mary had ever appeared to anyone.
Lourdes and Fatima I had never heard of.
Guadalupe I thought was some celebration the Mexicans had in May. About Who or What I really had no clue and didn't care one way or the other.
So, strictly for the peace of my marriage, I went.
No I didn't see any big signs or miracles there.
But yes, God did choose to reach out to me beginning there, in a very real & humbling way, and also in the years that have followed.
It has been 5 years since that day, and in spite of many problems health and otherwise, I can easily say it's been the best 5 years of my life. God's love is there, absolute.
And I have experienced the joy of meeting this beautiful Lady, His Mother, who I barely knew existed. When you find that out for yourself, you will experience a freedom and happiness that you cannot even imagine, at least it is beyond anything I thought possible in this life.
So you see, there is a bit more to 'reality' than what we can see and touch. I cringe to think I almost missed it, out of my own, arrogant pride which argued-"you know your faith-you don't need this !". ( I now wonder who THOSE thoughts were coming from ! )

So do I sound like a supporter ?
I am a supporter of the Church, of her Founder, and of His Mother.
I will accept completely ANY decision from ANY of Those Three.

In contrast, CAL does not have any authority whatsoever in the matter, I question why they will even air the subject which all Catholics should simply patiently defer to the official decision of the RCC, when it comes. Be quiet, and wait for the RCC to decide. Take the advice of our Mother and be content to pray, pray, pray.

I will listen with interest to the CAL show on this, but I doubt I will speak. I tried that twice in the past and was cut off both times with an arrogant rudeness that left me wondering what CAL was really about, and also with a deep sorrow for those who seem to 'know it all'.

As one previous poster here pointed out, beware of Acts 5:38
__________________
+Peace,
Bob
  #39  
Old Mar 4, '10, 12:08 am
adstrinity adstrinity is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 9, 2005
Posts: 3,482
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to adstrinity Send a message via Yahoo to adstrinity
Default Re: Medjugorje, Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4BVM View Post
Liar you say ? Oh, that isn't the half of it, you see ! Better add up all the deliberately made-up lies about what the BVM has been 'telling' Mirijana and the other 5 seers for the past 29 years.
THAT is a LOT of lies folks ! All those 'made up' lies ! Lies about what ? Why... , lies about the Blessed Mother of course... putting words into the mouth of the Mother of God. And they have been doing it since they were kids !!
Well, I call her a liar because I don't know what else to call her. Certainly she's definitely proud. She's lacking all humility, which is what a saint would have. Rather than only share this with her confessor, she answers a media figure about things and tells the interviewer a personal story, one in which she's sobbing like Glenn Beck, and half bragging that she has the shoes of the Pope.

This is about as saintly as a Bill Mahar special or a Girls Gone Wild Mardi Gras DVD. There's no reason for anybody to insinuate, "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!!!!!" that much. Ever. EVER!

Can't wait for this show! I didn't have much of an opinion (I note how this is an impassioned issue for some). I really didn't look up any info on this. I know, merely, that it's not (yet) approved. I let that woman talk for herself, this was the first thing I've every read from one of the "witnesses" and, I must admit, she lost me. This braggart (there's a good word!), this braggart is egotistical and the oposite of Jesus' teachings.
__________________
Catholicism is the law of life, the life of the intelligence, the solution of all problems. Catholicism is the truth, and everything that departs from it one iota, is disorder, deception, and error. - Juan Donoso Cortes
  #40  
Old Mar 4, '10, 12:31 am
Shin Shin is offline
Senior Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: July 28, 2005
Posts: 6,163
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: CAL to cover Medjugorje (3/24/10)

There's problematic content in the messages, some of which already cited, and they have already been judged not supernatural.

The wheat is not always removed quickly from the tares.

I will note however, that anyone is capable of writing 1,000 "messages from Mary" that -do not- contradict Catholic doctrine. It's quite simple to do so, and takes no special graces whatsoever. Especially when they are quite repetitious.

For example, if that person wanted wealth, fame and success, and thought it innocent enough, i.e. the ends justified the means and a few little rationalizations that 'they might' be from Mary with a little imagination, there you have it.

Most everyone who goes on a pilgrimage benefits from the experience. It's as simple as that.

If someone is going to be converted by God, the devil is also permitted to put that person to the test. Many people have been converted in heretical and erroneous surrounding circumstances. By finding a part of God in the midst of error otherwise, God puts to test their love of Him alone and love of truth.

And these people tend to become so attached to the lies that were in that experience along with the truth they found, their souls are in great danger.

Protestantism is an example of this.. Where people find a part of Jesus.. and a part of Hell and can't let go of both.

I always greatly sympathize with such situations.. it is so easy for spiritual deception to attach us to something that we think is a good thing but is actually a tool against us. A few pleasant feelings is all it takes often enough. We are as soldiers of God truly put to the test in the spiritual battle, and if we are not ready, we fail until we learn the way the war is actually fought.
  #41  
Old Mar 4, '10, 7:03 am
Hopper Hopper is offline
Junior Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: December 2, 2008
Posts: 144
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: CAL to cover Medjugorje (3/24/10)

Responding briefly here for the moment till I have the time to reply in more depth - just wanted to say Bob's reply #38 - was very good. There are many such good fruits like this "conversion" and vocations to the priest-hood and I just don't understand the animosity that I'm seeing here.

I believe in what is happening in Medjugorje - but I wait the Church's final say and certainly will abandon that belief if the Church comes down in the negative.

My faith does not rest on apparitions....nor did it begin there....

Hopper
__________________
Self-Abandonment to Divine Providence
  #42  
Old Mar 4, '10, 7:29 am
SarahR SarahR is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: June 10, 2004
Posts: 1,881
Religion: Catholic yo
Default Re: CAL to cover Medjugorje (3/24/10)

Will be praying for this program to be reflective of the truth, obedience and compliance to the bishops in line with the Holy Father, humility and charity.

I greatly look forward to this show. There are a lot of strong opinions!

God bless!
__________________
"Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."
John 21:17
  #43  
Old Mar 4, '10, 7:35 am
SarahR SarahR is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: June 10, 2004
Posts: 1,881
Religion: Catholic yo
Default Re: CAL to cover Medjugorje (3/24/10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin View Post
I always greatly sympathize with such situations.. it is so easy for spiritual deception to attach us to something that we think is a good thing but is actually a tool against us. A few pleasant feelings is all it takes often enough. We are as soldiers of God truly put to the test in the spiritual battle, and if we are not ready, we fail until we learn the way the war is actually fought.
I like this. We are warriors, and I for one trust in the Generals that God appointed through the Holy Father, the Bishops. We do better to join together under leadership rather than pointing fingers and splitting hairs, leading to ugly darkness creeping into our souls, murmuring against Bishops. Do we, as Catholics, truly believe that God will reward with grace obedience to Bishops? Or are we allowed to make the final judgment like our first parents did in the Garden.

Editing to add: to me this whole Medjugorje whateveritis boils down primarily to a matter of obedience.
__________________
"Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."
John 21:17
  #44  
Old Mar 4, '10, 7:54 am
Theophorus's Avatar
Theophorus Theophorus is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: February 3, 2010
Posts: 1,101
Religion: Catholic Christianity
Default Re: CAL to cover Medjugorje (3/24/10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Coffin View Post
We will be very charitable (can anyone imagine Patrick Madrid having an angry meltdown...hey, wait, that would be fun to watch!)
Off topic I know, but could you do an hour where Patrick Madrid has an angry meltdown. I would love to hear an hour like that almost as much as I am looking forward to the 24 march
__________________
ďBeing Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction....There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him."
  #45  
Old Mar 4, '10, 10:15 am
Patrick Coffin Patrick Coffin is offline
Host, Catholic Answers Live
 
Join Date: March 2, 2009
Posts: 183
Religion: Happy Catholic
Default Re: CAL to cover Medjugorje (3/24/10)

Are we having fun yet?

To Bob: If any "rude arrogant" cut off(s) happened under my watch as host of Catholic Answers Live, let me offer an unconditional apology. I'm not sure what you're referring to, but if that happened, that is wrong. Our priority is to let opposing viewpoints be heard -- sometimes to a fault. Check out our Open Forum for Non-Catholics -- it is devoted entirely to callers hostile or confused about the Faith, and we've received not one complaint. In fact, most calls usually end on a friendly note.

I have to take exception to your demand that I "be quiet," however. Our show has never claimed any special "authority" in the matter of Medjugorje (per your straw man) beyond the right and duty to allow the phenomenon to be better understood from the point of view of the Roman Catholic Church. You ask us to "defer to the official decision of the RCC when it comes." I mean this with all due respect.....but it has already come: in the person of the local Bishop -- the one duly charged by the Sovereign Pontiff to pronounce judgment. Private apparitions are approved or condemned by the local Ordinary, not the Pope. Medjugorje has been the object of unwavering, 29-year-long, consistently pointed unapprovals by Bishops Zanic and Peric not to mention and three Commissions of the then-Yugoslav Bishops. You just don't like the result.

If the Holy Father, for reasons known only to divine providence, approves Medjugorje, I will gladly accept it, and publically say I was wrong. I wonder if strong Medj supporters such as yourself will do the converse if he finally and definitively condemns it. No offense intended. Just a rhetorical question.

The two stand-out posts here, from my fallible perch, belong to SarahR and Hopper. Required reading, regardless of where you stand.

And everyone else, a reminder -- please don't succumbing to hate-laced terms like liar. How vitriol adds a drop to clarity I have no idea. This kind of uncharitable nonsense got a previous Medj forum thread shut down, and I can see why. Spirited debate and strong disagreement is one thing (okay, two things), but this attack dog mode stuff is quite another.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8039Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Mary Virginia
4828CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: tawny
4292Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: FootStool
4027OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: fencersmother
3812SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3373Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3184Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: libralion
3149Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
2962For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: SERVENT FOR GOD
2698Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:04 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2013, Catholic Answers.