Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 5, '10, 7:06 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Pope Benedict expected to name Bishop Jose Gomez to succeed Mahony in Los Angeles

And he's a full member of Opus Dei.

http://whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com/

MONDAY, APRIL 05, 2010

El Tiempo Ha Venido -- Reports: Gomez Off to LA
SVILUPPO: Additional confirmation given... Official: press conference scheduled for 10am PT tomorrow at Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels.

For the nation's approximately 30 million Hispanic Catholics, a watershed moment is expected to come as soon as tomorrow with the appointment of one of their own as the shepherd-in-waiting of continent's largest local church.

http://whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com/

"If there is a risk of profanation, then Holy Communion should not be given in the hand to the faithful."

Instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum, paragraph 92.
http://tinyurl.com/yq6vp
Old Apr 5, '10, 8:36 pm

Default Re: Pope Benedict expected to name Bishop Jose Gomez to succeed Mahony in Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepanto View Post
shepherd-in-waiting of continent's largest local church.
Is LA larger than the Mexico City diocese?
Old Apr 5, '10, 8:59 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: Pope Benedict expected to name Bishop Jose Gomez to succeed Mahony in Los Angeles

Opus Dei?!

Didn't the Da Vinci Code reveal that they kill people??

BTW, here is the direct link to the Whispers article, just for future reference.
http://whispersintheloggia.blogspot....ha-venido.html
Old Apr 5, '10, 9:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_M View Post
Opus Dei?!

Didn't the Da Vinci Code reveal that they kill people??
Oh the MSM will have fun with that one!
Old Apr 5, '10, 11:47 pm
Banned

Good Buy Liturgical Dance and Incense Bowls!!.

Now LA Archdiocese will see a proper liturgy, with a proper incenser. The one that swings from a chain and held by an altar boy or deacon!.
Old Apr 5, '10, 11:58 pm
Banned

Alleluia!

Save your videos of LA RE Congress ceremonies as classic examples of liturgical abuse, because with a conservative in the chair they will be history.
Old Apr 6, '10, 3:15 am

It's Official!

This morning the Holy See announced the decision of Pope Benedict XVI to name Archbishop José Horacio Gómez as Coadjutor Archbishop of Los Angeles, California, USA.

Archbishop Gómez had been serving as Archbishop of San Antonio, Texas.

Roger Michael Cardinal Mahony will continue to serve as the Archbishop of Los Angeles. Upon his retirement, Archbishop Gómez would automatically succeed him in that role.

(I should note that _if_ there is a consistory to create Cardinal later this year, Archbishop Gómez would very likely _not_ be included since Cardinal Mahony retains his vote for about 6 more years.)
Old Apr 6, '10, 6:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc2 View Post
It's Official!

This morning the Holy See announced the decision of Pope Benedict XVI to name Archbishop José Horacio Gómez as Coadjutor Archbishop of Los Angeles, California, USA.

Archbishop Gómez had been serving as Archbishop of San Antonio, Texas.

Roger Michael Cardinal Mahony will continue to serve as the Archbishop of Los Angeles. Upon his retirement, Archbishop Gómez would automatically succeed him in that role.

(I should note that _if_ there is a consistory to create Cardinal later this year, Archbishop Gómez would very likely _not_ be included since Cardinal Mahony retains his vote for about 6 more years.)
Consecrated by Archbishop Chaput...a very good sign for Los Angeles.
Old Apr 6, '10, 7:14 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
As Coadjutor, Archbishop Gomez, 58, will automatically become head of the three-county Archdiocese of Los Angeles upon Cardinal Roger Mahony’s retirement at age 75 on February, 27, 2011.

Thank you Lord! Only 327 days to go
Old Apr 6, '10, 7:24 am

This is great news. This is the kind of actions that makes me very proud of our current Pope and one of the reasons I think the mainstream media has been so vicious in attacking him anytime they get a chance
Old Apr 6, '10, 7:53 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Magnificent choice! And hopefully, when Cardinal Mahoney turns 80, it will be Cardinal Gomez! Now, if we could only have Cardinal Chaput!
Old Apr 6, '10, 7:59 am
Forum Elder

This is very good news for Califonia, if not San Antonio. I hope all realize that changes will not be as sweeping or as swift as many here desire. The Church does not act like a secular institution. AB Gomez will act pastorally, not as the "new sheriff in town." LA has had serious issues that will not all be resolved the first year. That being said, I do look for the more serious abuses to be halted and the Catholicism of the Church to be re-asserted as the years pass.

I think of equal significance is the message this and other appointments send to the younger priests and future bishops as to what type of person will begin additional responsibility and what type will not.
Old Apr 6, '10, 8:15 am

Talking Re: Pope Benedict expected to name Bishop Jose Gomez to succeed Mahony in Los Angeles

Old Apr 6, '10, 8:28 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewton View Post
I hope all realize that changes will not be as sweeping or as swift as many here desire. The Church does not act like a secular institution. AB Gomez will act pastorally, not as the "new sheriff in town." LA has had serious issues that will not all be resolved the first year.
You are, of course, quite correct, PNewton, quite correct. Nonetheless, whaddya wanna bet that the liturgical dancers of LA have begun to rend their leotards in grief? Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

Sorry, sorry...my glee got the better of my charity.
Old Apr 6, '10, 8:33 am
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite
Thumbs up SA Archbishop Gomez going to LA

South Texas' loss is Los Angeles' gain as Archbishop Jose Gomez has been named by Pope Benedict XVI to serve as co-adjutor archbishop of Los Angeles.

Liturgically, this is a solid, sound and much-needed move, in my opinion. Archbishop Gomez has been trying to right some liturgical wrongs in San Antonio. In fact, our local seminarians who are studying at the Alamo City have seen a lot of improvement in the liturgical practices taught to them. I only hope that we will get a prelate of Archbishop Gomez's calibre.

Inasmuch as Laredo has its own diocese, we are still suffragens of San Antonio.

Great move on the part of Pope Benedict XVI!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News