Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 28, '10, 12:34 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: how do you explain what your soul or spirit is to a child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapell View Post
Which reminds me of what we are taught about Mass, that we actually are in Heaven every time we attend it in a proper state of grace and we partake in the Eucharist...
this sidenote isn't meant to make you derail from the topic here. I actually think it is closely related.

"Love and Truth meet,
Justice and Peace embrace." (Psalm 85)
Old Apr 28, '10, 3:39 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Informed, practicing RomanCatholic

Quote:
=Odell;6570174]We past a grave yard yesterday and my five year old asked what it was so I explained it to her. She knows Jesus rose from the dead. And so I explained our spirit goes to heaven when we are berried. I had no idea how to explain to her what our spirit is any help please?
Perhaps something like this?

God loves us which is why He died on the Cross for us. Because God loves us so much everybody is given by God a soul, so that if we are good, we can live with Him forever.

Love and prayers,

grandpa Pat

http://working4christtwo.wordpress.com

A.B. Fulton Sheen: "The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it."
Old Apr 29, '10, 12:52 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Not to derail, but your additional remark, Lapell, covers a topic we discussed a little with our pastor at Mass, that the Mass is the first step into heaven...and heaven is here on earth....

So we should always focus on helping the kingdom of God be present as best we can in this culture, and shower them with much love and peace.
Old Apr 29, '10, 1:34 am

Religion: catholic

Hi. I have children and I explain it like this. "Close your eyes. Now take your finger and point to you. The real you. Where you are." (invariably they point to their chest or their head). "So Tommy, you are your chest? you are your nose? you are your toe?" They laugh and try to show me where they are inside. So I tell them to close their eyes again and point. "That, I say, is your soul. You are trying to point to the you in you that comes from God, that is not your toe or your eye or your finger, but is really you. That is the part that will separate from your body when you die and see God in heaven. It is the living you that will never die". You can extrapolate from there. The children seem to understand.
Kim
Old Apr 29, '10, 12:25 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Informed, practicing RomanCatholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elzermank View Post
Hi. I have children and I explain it like this. "Close your eyes. Now take your finger and point to you. The real you. Where you are." (invariably they point to their chest or their head). "So Tommy, you are your chest? you are your nose? you are your toe?" They laugh and try to show me where they are inside. So I tell them to close their eyes again and point. "That, I say, is your soul. You are trying to point to the you in you that comes from God, that is not your toe or your eye or your finger, but is really you. That is the part that will separate from your body when you die and see God in heaven. It is the living you that will never die". You can extrapolate from there. The children seem to understand.
Kim
Very well done! Thank you!

http://working4christtwo.wordpress.com

A.B. Fulton Sheen: "The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it."
Old Apr 29, '10, 1:02 pm

Religion: Catholic

Hi Odell,

Just say this : the soul is the thinking part of a person. You can't see it, you can't touch it, you can't smell it, but you know it's there because it's working. It is a spirit. God is a spirit, The angels are spirits. But our soul is a diiferent kind of spirit because it is made to be with our body. Our body will die one day, but the soul will survive and eventually God will put it back with our new body and we shall live forever with Him.

Verbum
Old Apr 29, '10, 3:40 pm

Religion: catholic

Did not think I was going to be satisfied had subject to teach a 5 year old. Verbum and elzermank thanks for your post very helpfull
Old Apr 30, '10, 7:12 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Elzermark,

Yes, that is a good one....you vs the body, having them point....excellent...I laugh a little because my kids listened to teen music, and there was a song that went on and on, 'You, you, you, you.............you, you ,you...', no way to demo it here.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics