Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 2, '10, 2:58 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default How do you fortify yourself in Spiritual Warfare?

I have been ceaselessly attacked with thoughts that I have no talents, that I will only humiliate myself if I were to invest the time in practicing and displaying any ability, and I feel a strong oppressive presence that does not want me to pray, or even to go to Sunday Mass.

I want to understand what all I can do to combat the evil spirits that wants my ultimate demise. I do have holy water and two crucifixes in my bedroom, and I wear a brown Scapular, personally blessed by a Bishop.

What more, as soldiers of God can we do to fight our spiritual enemies?
Old May 2, '10, 4:06 am

Religion: CATHOLIC
Send a message via AIM to sawman
Default Re: How do you fortify yourself in Spiritual Warfare?

Musicadmirer, Do good, avoid evil. Pray always. Increase your reception of the sacraments especialy, Holy Communion and Confession. Draw near to God and He will let you find Him. These activities help you to be in a state of grace and gives you a will to resist satan so that he will flee from you. Satan hates sanctity and the grace of God repels him. Don't forget, pray! You must develop a hunger for God's presence and praying with great effort can help with that.
Peace,
Tom
Old May 2, '10, 4:26 am
Banned

Thumbs up Re: How do you fortify yourself in Spiritual Warfare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicadmirer View Post
I have been ceaselessly attacked with thoughts that I have no talents, that I will only humiliate myself if I were to invest the time in practicing and displaying any ability, and I feel a strong oppressive presence that does not want me to pray, or even to go to Sunday Mass.

I want to understand what all I can do to combat the evil spirits that wants my ultimate demise. I do have holy water and two crucifixes in my bedroom, and I wear a brown Scapular, personally blessed by a Bishop.

Have you tried a daily Rosary? Even when you don't want to, just do it. If your mind keeps straying, bring it back and continue. No matter how "dry" you may feel, see if a daily Rosary, no matter how half-hearted, can work out for you. Mary undertsand, and will appreciate your efforts, not your perfection level.
Old May 2, '10, 7:28 am

Quote:

Go to www.queenship.org and get the booklet IN THE END MY IMMACULATE HEART WILL TRIUMPH and follow the prayer excercise.
Then pray the St. Michael the Archangle paryer everytime you feel an inclination NOT to do what you know to be right. Even if you have to say it 100 times each day. It was written by Pope Leo to defeat satand and his devils
Old May 2, '10, 7:35 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

Quote:

You point to your having holy water and crucifixes as well as the brown Scapular. These are all good things. But there is one thing that must be remembered.
Such sacramentals are tools, they are weapons only as good as the trust and skill of the soldier in combat. You are, as you already understand, that soldier.
The Holy water, the Crucificixes, the Scapular are mainly defensive weapons. They are armor to the believer. But even armor can be penetrated it the soldier does not take "offensive" action.
Prayer, and the courage to act in holy ways are offensive weapons. As others have said, pray the Rosary, the divine mercy chaplet, or any toher personal devotion that helps. Pray unceasingly. Go to mass and communion and confession etc. as often as possible. Take lessons to develop your talents. Even if your "talent" is not great, many wonderful and useful "skills" can be developed.

The enemy is using a classic tactic of trying to get you to dispair. To give up. He begins by planting doubt. If the doubt is succesful he will build on it until it becomes depression and finally dispair.
Remember that the enemy cannot "force" you into his will. He can only wisper in your ear. He cannot block you, he can only try to magnify failure and minimize success.
it is up to you to continue to move forward.

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old May 2, '10, 7:47 am
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Amen to that, JRKH!

Pray without ceasing . Be careful not to view the sacramentals as "good luck charms," but rather use them as your weapons in spiritual warfare.

Also, below is a link to Father Robert DeGrandis' spiritual warfare prayer. Many people pray it every day:

http://copiosa.org/spirituality/spiritual_warfare.htm
May the fruit of Thy sufferings be renewed in my soul by the faithful remembrance of Thy passion and may Thy love increase in myeach day until I see Thee in eternity, Thou who art the treasury of every real good and every joy, which I beg thee to grant me O Sweetest Jesus in heaven. S Bridget
Old May 2, '10, 11:22 am

Religion: Totally Catholic

Quote:
I have been ceaselessly attacked with thoughts that I have no talents, that I will only humiliate myself if I were to invest the time in practicing and displaying any ability,
First is to be sure that your troubles are because of a spiritual attack and not self doubt. I have had the similar doubts about my talents. Let me assure you that your doubts in this area are not unique. These doubts come from our "lizard brain."

What is the lizard brain? Seth Godin gave a presentation about the lizard brain. Please watch the presentation; it is only 18 minutes long. Basically, it is the part of the brain that controls our survival instincts. It wants to keep us from doing things that makes us uncomfortable (e.g. public speaking) when we know there is no rational basis for our doubts. The lizard brain wants us to be safe and not take risks. Exercising talent is a risk so the lizard brain shouts at us to stop. Godin expands on the topic in the second half of his book "Linchpin: Are You Indispensible."

Understanding how the lizard brain works is necessary to get past these issues. Second step is to learn how to "soothe the lizard brain" so you can start using the cognitive parts of your brain in exercising your talents and also improve your prayer life.

Let me give you one hint for soothing the lizard brain regarding practicing your talent. I can't tell you how close this was to my own self doubt.

First, think of what you want to do as a "skill", not just a "talent." Skill is something that must be developed.

Second, accept that at the beginning of the development you will not be good. That is the whole point of development. As you practice the skill, you will improve. When the lizard brain says, "you are not good enough" say (out loud) I know I will get better with practice, that is why I am going to practice.

Third, accept that you do not have to be the best at the skill to be recognized for it. If Bob Dylan or Brittany Spears can be recognized as singers, who is to say you can't? You don't have to be the best writer in the world to be published.

Twitter me! http://twitter.com/SemperJase

Last edited by SemperJase; May 2, '10 at 11:38 am.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality