Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > CA Pet Lovers

CA Pet Lovers Click here to visit this social group

Old Jun 25, '10, 4:14 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: ROMAN CATHOLIC
Default Rabbits Frogs and other "exotic" pets

Hi, wondering what other non-cat/dog pets people have. I currently have 2 rabbits, one of each sex (spayed and neutered). They are a lot of company and very clever and fun. I belong to a local rabbit rescue club which also takes some of our people-friendly rabbits to places like nursing homes. My bunnies seem to enjoy the attention.

I also have a White's Tree Frog. I had several tanks of frogs and toads at one time.

I do hope to get a cat or two, but I am likely to have to move soon, so I'll have to see when's the right time on that.

So... who has what? Monkey, snake, gerbil, toad, bird, chinchilla, etc?
Old Jun 25, '10, 6:37 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Rabbits Frogs and other "exotic" pets

At one time or another my daughters and I have had any pet you can imagine--rabbit, snake, fish, hermit crabs, red efts, turtles, birds, hamsters, mice, rats, lizards, etc.

Now we are down to 2 dogs (one family pet, one belongs to my elder daughter), 2 cats (one family pet, one belongs to my younger daughter), a horse (family pet), and a Vietnamese potbellied pig (family pet).

Not sure I know how, but I'll try to post a pic of Angeles (the pig) to this forum; otherwise, I think you can see him through my profile page.

Miz
Old Jun 25, '10, 6:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserys_Fence View Post
At one time or another my daughters and I have had any pet you can imagine--rabbit, snake, fish, hermit crabs, red efts, turtles, birds, hamsters, mice, rats, lizards, etc.

Now we are down to 2 dogs (one family pet, one belongs to my elder daughter), 2 cats (one family pet, one belongs to my younger daughter), a horse (family pet), and a Vietnamese potbellied pig (family pet).

Not sure I know how, but I'll try to post a pic of Angeles (the pig) to this forum; otherwise, I think you can see him through my profile page.

Miz
Attempting to post pic of Angeles...

Click image for larger version

Name:	angelsnooze.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	8180
Old Jun 27, '10, 9:26 pm
Book Club Member

He's cute!
Old Jun 30, '10, 8:07 pm

Thanks, 3! He sleeps with me every night--and as you can see, he takes his half of the bed out of the middle.

He's a spoiled rotten mama's boy!

Miz
Old Jun 30, '10, 8:29 pm
Book Club Member

Spoiled rotten pets are the best kind to have! My Shamrock bunny is a Momma's boy too. You can see his profile on www.bunspace.com and also Clover's -- it's easier to search for Shamrock by name because Clover is a common bunny name...
Old Jul 21, '10, 1:02 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

I have a parrot. Frankei is a gold-capped conure. There is a picture of him in the group picture section.
Old Jul 22, '10, 9:27 pm
Book Club Member

Disclaimer: This is a sort of funny story -- but not if you're bug phobic

One disadvantage of owning a frog -- or lizard or any other animal that has to eat live bugs, is that sometimes the "food" escapes. The last couple of nights I've been plagued by one of my frog's "leftovers" that got out and has been haunting the living room!

The situation has been made worse by the fact that our neighbor's garage got broken into so I've been sleeping in the recliner, with an imaginary shotgun across my lap! I sleep a few hours, then am awakened by CHIRP. CHIRP. CHIRP. Grrrrr!

Last night the little pest went down the AC duct that didn't have a cover on it. I poked the flyswatter after him and never heard anything else, and I hope this is the last of it.

I wish my silly frog would just eat all his crickets! He's had a week.

This is one of God's many ways of teaching me patience....

I really do love my frog, just not fond of crickets
Old Dec 9, '10, 7:34 pm

Religion: ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH - Revert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DOCTORS View Post
Disclaimer: This is a sort of funny story -- but not if you're bug phobic

One disadvantage of owning a frog -- or lizard or any other animal that has to eat live bugs, is that sometimes the "food" escapes. The last couple of nights I've been plagued by one of my frog's "leftovers" that got out and has been haunting the living room!

The situation has been made worse by the fact that our neighbor's garage got broken into so I've been sleeping in the recliner, with an imaginary shotgun across my lap! I sleep a few hours, then am awakened by CHIRP. CHIRP. CHIRP. Grrrrr!

Last night the little pest went down the AC duct that didn't have a cover on it. I poked the flyswatter after him and never heard anything else, and I hope this is the last of it.

I wish my silly frog would just eat all his crickets! He's had a week.

This is one of God's many ways of teaching me patience....

I really do love my frog, just not fond of crickets
How did I ever miss this post? I have two northern alligator lizards. They eat crickets, too. I know that "chirp" sound very well. But I do have a somewhat gross story to tell about crickets. Actually, two stories.

I had back surgery and was on an egg crate on the floor when my cat Dasha came into the room, making a weird noise like she was carrying something in her mouth and meowing. She dropped a huge live cricket right next to me. I grabbed a crutch and I tried to smash it and I was telling Dasha "good kitty, thank you kitty." I think the cricket escaped.

My parents had a cricket problem where they lived. Everyone did. I would go to bed and see a cricket on the ceiling. I'd knock it down with a broom, then go to bed, knowing what would happen. And it did, every single time. An hour or so after I'd turned out the light I would hear crunching. It was my cat, Spike, who loved to eat crickets. Yuck, but better in her tummy than falling on me while I was asleep!!
He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

Old Dec 9, '10, 7:53 pm
Book Club Member

Amen to that! Ironic epilogue to my last post - a couple weeks after that or so, I was keeping my friend's cat, and she found the cricket, still alive somehow - but thankfully she kills them. So that was that!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > CA Pet Lovers