Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Catholic Artists & Architects

Catholic Artists & Architects Click here to visit this social group

Old Jul 9, '10, 4:21 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Sacred vs. Secular Art

Could someone clarify for me the difference between sacred and secular art? Does sacred art entail overtly/ explicitly religious imagery? Is there such a thing as Christian/ Catholic secular art, such as a Christian who produces a work that is more subtle in its communication of the faith,such as drawing out the image of God in people?

Also I've seen distinctions between these three terms: Religious Art, Sacred Art, and Liturgical Art. Could someone clarify the differences?

http://john1v14.blogspot.com
Old Jul 9, '10, 8:50 pm

Default Re: Sacred vs. Secular Art

The way I think of it (and I could certainly be wrong) is that sacred art is religious art used specifically in the context of liturgy or devotions. The Catechism says this:

2502 Sacred art is true and beautiful when its form corresponds to its particular vocation: evoking and glorifying, in faith and adoration, the transcendent mystery of God - the surpassing invisible beauty of truth and love visible in Christ, who "reflects the glory of God and bears the very stamp of his nature," in whom "the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily."297 This spiritual beauty of God is reflected in the most holy Virgin Mother of God, the angels, and saints. Genuine sacred art draws man to adoration, to prayer, and to the love of God, Creator and Savior, the Holy One and Sanctifier.

I guess that means it not necessarily limited to liturgy and devotions. However, Tolkien's Lord of the Rings certainly glorifies God indirectly, but it's not meant to directly facilitate worship like St. Francis of Assisi's Canticle of the Sun, so I'd classify the former as secular and the latter as sacred.

http://ionascribe.blogspot.com

Happily married to DH Alcuin , and mom to new baby girl!
Old Jul 10, '10, 9:08 am

Default Re: Sacred vs. Secular Art

Great blog by the way!

http://ionascribe.blogspot.com

Happily married to DH Alcuin , and mom to new baby girl!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Catholic Artists & Architects