Matthew's Gospel Study Group Click here to visit this social group

Old Sep 30, '10, 4:21 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Chapter 5 - Questions for Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by odhiambo View Post
According to Saint Augustine, each of the seven beatitude is a meritorious act performed with the help of one or the other of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
Here is how he pairs them
1: Blessed are the poor in spirit------Gift of fear of the Lord
2: Blessed are they who mourn-------Gift of knowledge
3: Blessed are the meek-----------------Gift of Piety
4: Blessed are they who hunger---------Gift of Fortitude
5: Blessed are the merciful----------------Gift of Counsel
6: Blessed are the clean of heart---------Gift of Understanding
7: Blessed are peace makers--------------Gift of Wisdom
8: Blessed are they who are persecuted----All the gifts and perfect values

The 8th beatitude according to Saint Augustine is the “summit of Christian perfection and is most strikingly shown by martyrs.”
This beatitude is performed with all the gifts of the Holy Spirit
Sorry guys for the multiple posts of the same.
I kept submitting and running into problems , so I assumed I had not succeeded in posting.
Old Sep 30, '10, 11:42 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Sorry for the triplicates!
I encountered some difficulties posting, so I got carried away with the "clicks"!
Old Sep 30, '10, 11:59 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWorthy View Post
Verse 5:17 - "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill.

If the Old Covenant has not been abolished, what does the New Covenant do? Why are the laws of animal sacrifice no longer followed? What happened to the Old Covenant version of the moral law?
The Old Covenant with its laws, priests, temples and animal sacrifices, was a preview of what the New Covenant would be.
The birth of Jesus, his life, his death and his resurrection fulfilled the Old Covenant.
His death ended the Old Covenant.
Jesus became our High Priest, our Temple and our Sacrifice.

The Old Covenant version of the moral laws was transferred into the New Covenant with Jesus Christ.
The Ten Commandments are God’s prescription to us for a healthy moral and spiritual life ; they are relevant now as they were relevant then, only now, they have been internalized within us.
Old Oct 1, '10, 12:42 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Verse 5:21-30 - 21 "You have heard that it was said to your ancestors, 'You shall not kill; and whoever kills will be liable to judgment.' 22 But I say to you, whoever is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment, and whoever says to his brother, 'Raqa,' will be answerable to the Sanhedrin, and whoever says, 'You fool,' will be liable to fiery Gehenna. 23 Therefore, if you bring your gift to the altar, and there recall that your brother has anything against you, 24 leave your gift there at the altar, go first and be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift. 25 Settle with your opponent quickly while on the way to court with him. Otherwise your opponent will hand you over to the judge, and the judge will hand you over to the guard, and you will be thrown into prison. 26 Amen, I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny. 27 "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall not commit adultery.' 28 But I say to you, everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one of your members than to have your whole body thrown into Gehenna. 30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one of your members than to have your whole body go into Gehenna.

What new dimension does Jesus add to the commands not to kill and not to commit adultery?
Jesus in fulfilling the law concerning the prohibition of murder, is telling us that avoiding murder is no longer sufficient, one must also deal with the anger that leads to murder and anger should be taken just as seriously as murder.
In the case of the law prohibiting adultery, Jesus is telling us that lust is the root cause of adultery and must be avoided.
Old Oct 1, '10, 12:54 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Verses - 5:38-42 - 38 "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' 39 But I say to you, offer no resistance to one who is evil. When someone strikes you on (your) right cheek, turn the other one to him as well. 40 If anyone wants to go to law with you over your tunic, hand him your cloak as well. 41 Should anyone press you into service for one mile, go with him for two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks of you, and do not turn your back on one who wants to borrow.

What point does Jesus make about the law of retaliation ("an eye for an eye")? What was the purpose of that law? What is Jesus' response to it?
The law of Retaliation (Lex Talionis—I have picked that from your post NotWorthy) was intended to restrict vengeance and to keep the violence within limits.
Jesus is now telling us to forgo retaliation in this new order. He is setting a broader standard of righteousness. We should not behave the same way as those who wrong us.
Old Oct 1, '10, 3:35 pm

Religion: Christian

In sensus plenior:

The law of blasphemy ... i.e. making the name of the Lord common, was fulfilled in Christ in the day that no man teaches another because all will know him. His name is common.

The law of adultery is fulfilled when Christ marries a prostitute, (the church) but makes her a virgin bride.

The law of murder is fulfilled when Christ lays down his own life for us. This is foreshadowed by Cain killing Abel, and many others.

In each of these he 'commits the sin' if you look at it in riddle, but is not culpable or guilty of sin because he did not sin in doing it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Matthew's Gospel Study Group