Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 26, '10, 11:44 am
Banned

Religion: A Christianity that doesn't exclude nor drives liberals away
Default Re: Mitch McConnell: I Want To Be Senate Majority Leader In Order To Make Obama A One-Term President

Robert, let me add the Democrat I did not vote for is in favor of Roe, the settled law of the land for nearly 4 decades now. I had to consider a number of issues. So I can't really say today if I will vote for the re-election of President Obama in 2012. It might depend on his opponent. Who else is on the ballot. Any number of things. I know today I still remain very disappointed in his lackluster pushing of a public option, among a few other things including allowing the banks months to raise credit card rates prior to the new law taking effect, the unsettled business of DADT, escalation in Afghanistan to name a few. The jury is still out for me on 2012. In 2000 I didn't decide to vote for Gore instead of Nader until I was on my way to the polling place. So you'll have to ask me in Nov 2012 I guess how I voted. Peace.

Last edited by CMatt25; Oct 26, '10 at 11:57 am.
Old Oct 26, '10, 1:06 pm

Default Re: Mitch McConnell: I Want To Be Senate Majority Leader In Order To Make Obama A One-Term President

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMatt25 View Post
Bush and the Congress already did on a foreign country which did not attack us on 911. In which no WMD was found. Spending billions of dollars each month in doing so for yrs to run up the deficit. Until Obama has begun to wind the Iraq war down. Thank God for our President Barack Hussein Obama on that front. So see to answer your question, one must look at a total number of issues. And yes the poor, the homeless, the hungry, the sick without affordable adequate care are among those I also consider. And I then make a call on a number of issues.
Actually:

* Obama's stimulus, passed in his first month in office, will cost more than the entire Iraq War -- by more than $100 billion (15%).
* Just the first two years of Obama's stimulus cost more than the entire cost of the Iraq War under President Bush, or six years of that war.
* Iraq War spending accounted for just 3.2% of all federal spending while it lasted.
* Iraq War spending was not even one quarter of what we spent on Medicare in the same time frame.
* Iraq War spending was not even 15% of the total deficit spending in that time frame. The cumulative deficit, 2003-2010, would have been four-point-something trillion dollars with or without the Iraq War.
* The Iraq War accounts for less than 8% of the federal debt held by the public at the end of 2010 ($9.031 trillion).
* During Bush's Iraq years, 2003-2008, the federal government spent more on education that it did on the Iraq War. (State and local governments spent about ten times more.)
Old Oct 26, '10, 1:33 pm
Banned

Quote:
Bush and the Congress already did on a foreign country which did not attack us on 911. In which no WMD was found. Spending billions of dollars each month in doing so for yrs to run up the deficit. Until Obama has begun to wind the Iraq war down. Thank God for our President Barack Hussein Obama on that front. So see to answer your question, one must look at a total number of issues. And yes the poor, the homeless, the hungry, the sick without affordable adequate care are among those I also consider. And I then make a call on a number of issues.
You dodged the question, and Barack Hussein Obama had almost nothing to do with Iraq that wasn't already planned anyway.

I'm asking a simple hypothetical questions.

If democrats, under a liberal agenda that you totally supported, started and fought a war considered to be 100 percent undeniably unjust by your own faith, would you vote Republican? There is no third party candidate to cop out on here.

See I wonder if you can even say yes to that, because you are so partisan in your beliefs that the democrats actually help the poor, the homeless, the hungy and the sick that somehow voting Republican almost seems evil to you.

If you say no, you would not vote for Republicans. Then how would you answer for the innocents killed in the unjust war...kind of like the war on the unborn...how do we answer to God, that we supported the slaughter of the unborn...because of the needy?

You can say it's settled law and ignore the single most important issue that Catholics and their faith fight spiritually every single day, and physically in the voting booth whenever they get the chance, but it wasn't that long ago that slavery was legal as well. Wonder how many slaves just gave up and said oh well, it's settled law. How many years was slavery legal? We have no excuse not to provide everything we can for the pro life cause, including our vote.

If democrat politicians are so soft-hearted and willing to help the needy, why are they so willing to abort those who need us the most?

You can say Republicans use abortion as a talking point all you want, but the proof is stacked against you. Many republican politicians are out there trying to fight abortion as well. I'm sure there are some Republican mouths that use it as a talking point, but there are some who lay low from the spotlight as well.

A democrat can say he is pro-life all day long, but if he votes democrat or third party...is he really?
Old Oct 26, '10, 1:41 pm

An odd thing for McConnell to say, because if the Republicans take the Senate that would probably help guarantee a second Obama term. I don't see the GOP taking the Senate, although they seem likely to take the House. But if they did, that will probably favor Obama politically. People tend to dislike the legislature more than they dislike the executive. Right now both are Dem, and the Dems are taking big hits. If both sides of Congress are controlled by the GOP, it will be easy for Obama to blame them for everything. Most people inherently dislike Congress, so that is likely to stick. Combine that with the economic recovery that is likely to be picking up steam in 2012 - and you have a second term for Obama.
Old Oct 26, '10, 1:43 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrueCentrist View Post
http://thinkprogress.org/2010/10/25/...bama-one-term/

MCCONNELL: We need to be honest with the public. This election is about them, not us. And we need to treat this election as the first step in retaking the government. We need to say to everyone on Election Day, “Those of you who helped make this a good day, you need to go out and help us finish the job.”

NATIONAL JOURNAL: What’s the job?

MCCONNELL: The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.

--Not taxes, health care, nor foreign policy, the single most important issue is evidently political gain.
How did that even make the news headlines? I mean that 'priority' has been obvious since it began to look like Obama had a fighting chance to become president.

I know we're supposed to pay lip service to things like policies pursued, legislation actually passed, progress made (or not), economic indicators etc. But we (all over the political spectrum), whether we admit it or not, know that the strategy was in place even before the drapes were changed in the White House, as was the re-election strategy, incidentally.

That's real world politics for you - the main concern with ordinary folk's issues is pleasing enough of us to keep or retake political power. I'm not under any illusions.
From the age of pharaohs through myriad mutations of the enduring human inclination to oppress and exclude through unjust remuneration, the basic justification has remained unchanged. It is the fear, affected or real, propounded by countless leaders, scholars, and statesman, that extending justice to all, will lead to national impoverishment and decline. Cyclical retelling of the Exodus story among people of faith serves to celebrate the role of God's saving justice in the human cycle of oppression and redemption. It also serves as an admonition to be on the right side of this story in every age and time.
Old Oct 26, '10, 2:43 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Robert, let me add the Democrat I did not vote for is in favor of Roe, the settled law of the land for nearly 4 decades now.
Dred Scott v. Sanford was also made it the law of the land that those descended from Africans could not be U.S. citizens. Plessy v. Ferguson made separate but equal the law of the land. There is no reason to cede that we must continue the abortion holocaust. If we do not repent of this evil, healthcare and welfare will be the least of our problems. We are sitting on a nuclear bomb of judgement.

It is counting down fast.
Old Oct 26, '10, 3:06 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewton View Post
Dred Scott v. Sanford was also made it the law of the land that those descended from Africans could not be U.S. citizens. Plessy v. Ferguson made separate but equal the law of the land. There is no reason to cede that we must continue the abortion holocaust. If we do not repent of this evil, healthcare and welfare will be the least of our problems. We are sitting on a nuclear bomb of judgement.

It is counting down fast.

Catholics who support pro-abortion politicians would have us believe that at the end of World War II it would have been proper to punish those who ran the gas chambers but not those who gave them the job.

Miguel Agustin Pro
Old Oct 26, '10, 3:09 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (Oblate of St Benedict-MotRC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by estesbob View Post
Catholics who support pro-abortion politicians would have us believe that at the end of World War II it would have been proper to punish those who ran the gas chambers but not those who gave them the job.

Brilliant

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Oct 26, '10, 3:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
Combine that with the economic recovery that is likely to be picking up steam in 2012
Wasn't the summer of 2010 supposed to be Recovery Summer? Even NPR is able to point out the obvious:
This was supposed to be the season the economy heated up, thanks to a wave of public works projects, funded by the government's stimulus program. But summer is coming to an end, and the recovery has not taken root. (The Labor Department on Friday reported a slight rise in the unemployment rate to 9.6 percent in August as more people were looking for work.) ...
Obama certainly hasn't changed his stripes, and more cowbell is not the solution. So the only plausible explanation I can see for the economy to pick up steam in 2012 would be that the newly-elected-in-2010 Republican Congress will have managed to apply the brakes to runaway spending.
Old Oct 26, '10, 5:20 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
I don't have a count but I would guess what is probably a fair statement is the majority of elected Democratic officials on the federal level are pro choice in respect to the law of the land settled in 1973 in our democracy of plural beliefs on what is a difficult, one, single issue, to many Americans, yes. But there are many anti-choice Democrats as well. And those former SCJ's you were complaining about, O"Conner and Souter, were nominated by Republicans Reagan and Bush 1.
Is the issue of abortion difficult to you? I would suggest that its only difficult for those who either don't have a well-informed conscience, don't know the truth about abortion, or those who don't care if abortion kills a human being. Perhaps there are also those for whom to act on the knowlege that abortion is a grave evil, would force them to stop voting for their favorite pet leftist policies and politicians, and they can't bring themselves to do that.

Ishii

Last edited by ishii; Oct 26, '10 at 5:35 pm.
Old Oct 26, '10, 5:27 pm
Banned

Religion: Yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishii View Post
Is the issue of abortion difficult to you?

Ishii
Is the issue of historical fact difficult for you?
Old Oct 26, '10, 5:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrueCentrist View Post
Is the issue of historical fact difficult for you?
elaborate?
Old Oct 26, '10, 5:36 pm

Religion: A man hoping to join the Catholic Church (currently in RCIA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
That is so true; nothing will get done for another two years. It just yo-yo's back and forth.

Once again, the American people are the losers in this battle.
Exactly.

The Republicans currently in Congress suck, and the Democrats currently in Congress suck. Whenever one party controls the government, things go south. History has taught us that the best times in American history were dominated by a bi-partisan government (eg. Clinton's surplus was under a Democratic President and a Republican Congress).

People who actually look at an issue instead of people who have solutions based on whether or not its "Conservative" or "Liberal" are the people who should be elected. However, the American people constantly screw themselves over by only voting for the partisans. I'm starting to feel less and less sorry for the nation as a whole, since we (we're in this together) are the ones who bring this upon ourselves.

Even in this thread, you can see such stupid partisan bickering. "Democrats are always bad" or "Republicans are liars". It's pure stupidity fit only for little children and it gets us nowhere. Both parties have good ideas, there is room for compromise, and until both of these points are realized, we're just digging a deeper hole.

The unemployed man doesn't care whether a Democrat or Republican gives him a job, just as long as he has a job. The baby in danger of being aborted doesn't care whether a Democrat or Republican saved his life through legislation, he just wants to live. So why do we care about such meaningless things, instead of caring about what a person actually stands for? Don't generalize; just because your party says "Democrat" doesn't mean you're anti-life and just because your party says "Republican" doesn't mean you're anti-working class.

And do you know what the saddest thing is? I'm a 17 year old who can see this, and yet we're being driven into oblivion by a group of 535 30+ year olds who don't have any sort of clue.
Old Oct 26, '10, 5:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianD View Post
Exactly.

Republicans suck, Democrats suck. Whenever one party controls the government, things go south. History has taught us that the best times in American history were dominated by a bi-partisan government (eg. Clinton's surplus was under a Democratic President and a Republican Congress).

People who actually look at an issue instead of people who have solutions based on whether or not its "Conservative" or "Liberal" are the people who should be elected. However, the American people constantly screw themselves over by only voting for the partisans. I'm starting to feel less and less sorry for the nation as a whole, since we (we're in this together) are the ones who bring this upon ourselves.

Even in this thread, you can see such stupid partisan bickering. "Democrats are always bad" or "Republicans are liars". It's pure stupidity and it gets us nowhere. Both parties have good ideas, there is room for compromise, and until both of these points are realized, we're just digging a deeper hole.

The unemployed man doesn't care whether a Democrat or Republican gives him a job, just as long as he has a job. The baby in danger of being aborted doesn't care whether a Democrat or Republican saved his life through legislation, he just wants to live. So why do we care about such meaningless things, instead of caring about what a person actually stands for? Don't generalize, just because your party says "Democrat" doesn't mean you're anti-life and just because your party says "Republican" doesn't mean you're anti-working class.
I would agree that voting for Republicans does not always result in good things. But it is a fact that the Republican party is the pro-life party and the Democrat party is the abortion rights party. Facts are stubborn things, aren't they?

Ishii
Old Oct 26, '10, 5:46 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by estesbob View Post
Another myth. Up until the election of Scott Brown in January the Republicanshad actually no ability to obstruct anything. The Democrats had super majorities in both houses of Congress and controlled the presidency. They had a absolute blank check to do anything they wanted and look at the mess they made- a mess we will start on undoing next Tuesday.
How about that crazy little thing called filibuster. No congress has used it more to block everything.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News