Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 9, '10, 9:39 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Can demons say the name Jesus Christ or Father?

I was reading another forum were someone claimed to hear a voice say "Jesus Christ Father". Some contended that it could not have come from an evil source because demons cannot say these words. This seems to be a popular view of some (non Catholic) people involved in deliverance ministry. In the Bible demons say the holy name of Jesus. Is there any substance to this opinion that demons are unable to say these words? I am not looking for an Evangelical or even protestant perspective, I would like the Catholic view on this.Thanks!
Old Nov 9, '10, 10:36 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can demons say the name Jesus Christ or Father?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rock View Post
I was reading another forum were someone claimed to hear a voice say "Jesus Christ Father". Some contended that it could not have come from an evil source because demons cannot say these words. This seems to be a popular view of some (non Catholic) people involved in deliverance ministry. In the Bible demons say the holy name of Jesus. Is there any substance to this opinion that demons are unable to say these words? I am not looking for an Evangelical or even protestant perspective, I would like the Catholic view on this.Thanks!
I don't speak authoritatively here, its just my opinion, but what would prevent them from having the ability to say the name Jesus Christ? If man can say it, how is it that a demon is unable too? What a demon cannot do is love God.

I remember many years ago being told that horror films involving haunted houses, possessions, etc were "so fake because an evil spirit couldn't turn a crucifix upside down when it was hanging on a wall, or rip a Bible in half." After thinking about it then, I decided that if I, a mere kid, could do these things, how is it that something as powerful as a demon couldn't.

Anyway, that’s my take on it.
Old Nov 9, '10, 10:37 pm
Banned

Religion: a loved by God Christian

The demonic of Gardearnes called Jesus by His Name
Old Nov 9, '10, 10:39 pm
Banned

Religion: Prophet

I won't convey what I have to say is something the Catholic church endorses, has made a statement upon, or anything to even comment upon in regards to that, all I can say is this is what this Catholics perspective is upon it.

It's written that the devil is the father of lies, this means his speech included, so what ever you hear from him, he's able to lie about but not that all words are going to be a lie.

Demons can say any words, including those that seem to support scripture and our Lord, especially if it suits their purposes towards some evil end. They gotta use his name if they blaspheme him so they gotta be able to speak his name in that process...

I suppose if you wanted to get into off the wall thoughts on the matter, Praising God, reading the bible, prayers to Mary and the Saints, etc. all would be something one could use to test what ever spirit you encounter. But even then, you can get false responses regardless.
Old Nov 9, '10, 10:50 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Religion: One. Holy. Catholic. Apostolic.

Father Pedro Barrajon is a Spanish exorcist priest. He has quite a bit of experience in this area. There is one name which the demons never utter and never profane. It might surprise you.

http://www.regnumchristi.org/english...&ca=118&te=782
Old Nov 9, '10, 11:25 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
Father Pedro Barrajon is a Spanish exorcist priest. He has quite a bit of experience in this area. There is one name which the demons never utter and never profane. It might surprise you.

From one of the messages on that link:

Quote:
This usually happens after the invocation of the Holy Mother, she´s very important for that. No demon ever dares to insult her during an exorcism. Never.

Does he have more respect for Mary than for God himself?

Apparently. Otherwise no holds are barred, and everyone is insulted: the priests, everyone present, the bishops, the Pope, even Jesus Christ. But never the Virgin Mary. It´s an enigma.
I think I know full well why they do not dare, it's the deeply felt necessity to be especially protective of our Blessed Mother, that is crossing the line, and one takes more offense with one slandering her more then everything else. It's our protective spirit over her that comes to the surface in the spiritual world. Personally as well, I take a lot of offense when I deal with people cutting her down, on and off line, so it's something built into my nature to work upon her defense, with a more then personal feeling of devotion.

You remember hearing how people have said one can talk badly about themselves, but not about their Mothers, I believe this is the case here, and in this one, it's talking bad about our Lords Mother...
Old Nov 9, '10, 11:45 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetpreacher View Post
I think I know full well why they do not dare, it's the deeply felt necessity to be especially protective of our Blessed Mother, that is crossing the line, and one takes more offense with one slandering her more then everything else. It's our protective spirit over her that comes to the surface in the spiritual world. Personally as well, I take a lot of offense when I deal with people cutting her down, on and off line, so it's something built into my nature to work upon her defense, with a more then personal feeling of devotion.

You remember hearing how people have said one can talk badly about themselves, but not about their Mothers, I believe this is the case here, and in this one, it's talking bad about our Lords Mother...
Demons are (now) impure creations, while Mary is a pure creation. She is the antithesis of all that is fallen, and the mother of all that is risen.

Each time I read that interview, I am more impressed and comforted.
Old Nov 10, '10, 12:41 am
Banned

Quote:
Demons are (now) impure creations, while Mary is a pure creation. She is the antithesis of all that is fallen, and the mother of all that is risen.

Each time I read that interview, I am more impressed and comforted.
Well, yeah, absolutely, but it's more so then just that, even if Mary had flaws, did some mistakes, I would not be able to control myself to defend her, it's just me, just this kwirky self I guess, and please by all means, those of you that disagree with me, do so, just know I love my blessed Mother Mary....don't hold it against her for my sake.... She has lead me deeper into her son's church and into his heart that matters most of all.
Old Nov 10, '10, 7:41 am
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic: Revert
Lightbulb Re: Can demons say the name Jesus Christ or Father?

Okay, let's have a look at a specific case in scripture that proves their teachings false.

Old Nov 11, '10, 12:02 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:

It is Blessed Virgin Mary...i got it from The Rite by Matt Baglio (I heard this book is being made into a movie)...when they are forced to say her name, they speak it with reverence...

Do you know why?
Old Nov 11, '10, 12:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rock View Post

During exorcismms, a sign of the demon being weakened or finally defeated is when he is forced to acknowledge God...as his Creator...or admits to being created by God...something along this line...also, when a demon is forced to reveal it's name...

Read The Rite by Matt Baglio....has all these details....including why Mary is feared by demons...
Old Nov 11, '10, 10:11 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablope View Post
It is Blessed Virgin Mary...i got it from The Rite by Matt Baglio (I heard this book is being made into a movie)...when they are forced to say her name, they speak it with reverence...

Do you know why?
My immediate guess is that the demons cannot love or respect Mary, since they lack both that ability and desire, so therefore they fear her intercessory power. She is the "woman" of Genesis 3:15, and God has placed enmity between them - they have nothing to do with one another. Mary is full of grace, and the demons are the absence of grace. They are not opposites, as that would imply some form of equality - demons are simply devoid of grace.
Old Nov 11, '10, 10:39 am
Banned

Religion: THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK
Send a message via MSN to IrishJoe

Didn't Padre Pio make apparations worship God to make sure they weren't demons in disguise?
Old Nov 12, '10, 9:08 am

Quote:
My immediate guess is that the demons cannot love or respect Mary, since they lack both that ability and desire, so therefore they fear her intercessory power. She is the "woman" of Genesis 3:15, and God has placed enmity between them - they have nothing to do with one another. Mary is full of grace, and the demons are the absence of grace. They are not opposites, as that would imply some form of equality - demons are simply devoid of grace.
Hi, po18...

I just read the link you provided, that interview with Fr Barrajon...and confirmed what I read in The Rite about Mary...

The demons revere Her for what she did at the foot of the cross, when Jesus was dying on the cross...that She forgave those who crucified her Son...and instead of cursing them, offered love instead...so demons, lacking love, do not want love...for surely, the BVM will also give them love....so they fear this.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics