Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 4, '10, 11:26 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default Re: Is calling someone a "fool" really a sin?

Well, I don't think it's a mortal sin but at the least, it is being uncharitable. Also, you have to realize that back during Bible times, being called a fool was akin to being called something that you would be banned for posting on here!

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Nov 5, '10, 5:34 am

Religion: Brethern In Christ

What ever you call the type of sin, it's a condition of the heart..One that's operating in the fleshly realm rather living in the Spirit...Choices, every day we have choices to choose life or live in the flesh...One results in collecting ash while the other gold/silver..
Old Nov 18, '10, 6:21 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

"Fool" is frequently found in the Old Testament, referring to unbelievers. But there are also some occurrences in the New Testament, as well.

1 Corinthians 3:18
There is no room for self-delusion. Any one of you who thinks he is wise by worldly standards must learn to be a fool in order to be really wise.

1 Corinthians 4:10
Here we are, fools for Christ's sake, while you are the clever ones in Christ; we are weak, while you are strong; you are honored, while we are disgraced.

2 Corinthians 11:21
I say it to your shame; perhaps we have been too weak. Whatever bold claims anyone makes -- now I am talking as a fool -- I can make them too.

2 Corinthians 12:11
I have turned into a fool, but you forced me to it. It is you that should have been commending me; those super-apostles had no advantage over me, even if I am nothing at all.

But these should be particularly thought-provoking:

Luke 11:40
Fools! Did not He who made the outside make the inside too?

Luke 12:20
But God said to him, "Fool! This very night the demand will be made for your soul; and this hoard of yours, whose will it be then?"

Matthew 23:17
Fools and blind! For which is of greater value, the gold or the Temple that makes the gold sacred?

1 Peter 2:15
It is God's will that by your good deeds you should silence the ignorant talk of fools.

James 2:20
Fool! Would you not like to know that faith without deeds is useless?
Old Nov 18, '10, 11:17 am

In English, it would be an insult and a (possibly venial) violation of the fifth commandment. Some people are not very intelligent, and some people don't have much common sense, and "fool" is probably an adequate description of such people. It is probably rare that one would actually need to give public voice to that judgement of another's intellectual capacities, and one would be sinning then because one should just stay silent.

In the Bible, though, "fool" translates "rakah", which contrasts with "wise". The wise man is the one who has studied the Scriptures and strives to conform his life to its teaching. The fool is one who avoids studying so as to avoid knowing the moral demands on him. "The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God.'" Used in this way, the way Jesus understood when He condemned calling your brother a fool, we mean that the brother is a wilfully ignorant sinner under condemnation. This is making a judgement about his moral state, which we should never do.

We might need to correct sin, or for the purposes of instruction to point out that someone's behavior is sinful, but calling the person a "fool" makes a determination about the disposition of his soul, which only God can do.
Old Nov 18, '10, 8:42 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianD View Post
Let's be honest, not-too-bright people surround all of us. Is calling someone an "idiot" (or "fool" like Jesus said) a sin, in the context of "Why did you act so stupid?" or "She's an idiot for getting that question wrong"? Or was that just a response to Pharisee customs and not a universal law?

Keep in mind I'm not talking about calling someone with a disability an "idiot". That's obviously immoral.
I don't know about calling another person a fool. but the bible calls people who don't believe in God as fools. "The fool says in his heart, there is no God". Other verses state that a fool despises wisdom and rebuke, while a wise man welcomes it.

Now as far as calling other BROTHERS(other christians) a fool, Jesus condemns such actions.

Even as he walks along the road, the fool lacks sense and shows everyone how stupid he is. - Ecclesiastes 10:3
the very ancient, and universally known Church founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles, Peter and Paul. For it is a matter of necessity that every Church should agree with this Church, on account of its preeminent authority.- St. Irenaeus
Old Dec 14, '10, 8:12 am

Religion: catholic

Yes its a difficult one. and its something I have thought about too.Maybe if you were to give a practical example people could comment on it. If I could propose an example If someone started jumping onto the bonnet of a car and started hanging out of the wipers while the car was driving along. maybe calling someone a fool lets the person of the hook and the person using the word is using a get out clause not addressing the situation properly and addressing the real needs of the offender properly. where the situation requires more wisdom courage and love than is being offered by the person using the word fool. It requires prayer and the help of the holy spirit. Thanks for bringing the topic up.
Old Dec 14, '10, 5:56 pm

The Hebrew word usually translated into "fool" in our English translations does not have the same meaning as the modern English word "fool", at least as it is commonly used today. The Biblical word had a strong moral element, connoting that the one so described has wilfully kept himself ignorant, particularly in the moral realm, because he wants to be free to sin. It is an apt description, actually, of much of modern Western society. But to call someone a fool, in that sense, is to make a serious moral accusation about the person, one that only God is obliged to make.
We almost always use "fool" to refer to someone who makes stupid decisions or behaves in a silly way (when not appropriate). This usage, if not accurate, is an insult and a violation of the fifth commandment but probably usually venial. If the appelation is accurate but not necessary to be given, I would guess it is also venial. I don't think it is the usage Jesus was condemning as worthy of the fires of Gehenna, but still indicates a thought best kept to oneself (or not had at all!).
Old Dec 18, '10, 3:48 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishie View Post
I think you will find that Jesus meant the contempt that can underlie condemning another as a fool...it does show a degree of judgement to call someone stupid and it can undermine their self image, if not our perception of another person.

It was the unloving contemptuous meaning held in the words sometimes that Jesus was censuring. He teaching is all about 'Love", "Charity"

It isn't charitable to call another person a fool, but you can acknowledge that the person has made a foolish mistake (in your perception, and in view of the consequences).
Yes.

A direct insult -- not a joke or a playful comment, but a clear insult delivered in contempt and/or anger -- is a sin. Depending on the severity of it (if abusive, if extreme, if very public -- thus stripping your brother/sister of their due dignity in the presence of others), I consider it a serious sin. I try to think of it as verbal weaponry. So for example, if you are calling someone, in disgust, a demeaning body part, that is not only insulting, it is objectifying the other person and disregarding his or her wholeness. Thus, vulgarity adds to the offense, as being an offense against the dignity of the human person.

There are so many offensive insults delivered casually in the public square these days; it's amazing how little shame people have and how little respect they have for fellow human beings.

Perhaps that's not what the OP was referring to. I elaborated because I see profane insults as such a common occurrence these days. Jesus condemned that as verbal violence.
Old Dec 21, '10, 8:45 am

If it is, poor Mr. T
All you gotta do is turn around

-Matt Maher's "Turn Around"

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology