Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 17, '11, 12:14 pm

Religion: Pentecostal
Default Is it a sin for a man to marry his step daughter?

I have a relative, he's a Pentecostal preacher, who's married to his step daughter. She was ~3 years old when he married her mother. He and her mother have 3 daughters. Before his step daughter became an adult, he and her mother divorced. The step daughter was finished being raised by her grand parents. Later on they married and now have 2 boys. I was wondering if this is a legitimate marriage, biblically speaking, or if they're living in fornication like the man in the 5th chapt. of 1st Corinthians who took his father's wife? I'm inclined to think this is all wrong.
Old Jan 17, '11, 1:00 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is it a sin for a man to marry his step daughter?

"You must not uncover the nakedness of a woman and of her daughter too; you must not take the daughter of her son or of her daughter to uncover their nakedness. They are your own flesh; it would be incest." Leviticus 18:17

"The man who takes a woman and her mother to wife; that is incest . . . There must be no incest among you." Leviticus 20:14

What this man has done is a grave sin and this 'marriage' is in no way legitimate. If he is divorced and re-married then he is living adulterously regardless of who his new 'wife' is, but this is even further than that. For this girl, her own siblings are her step-children. This 'marriage' is completely wrong. Please, speak to this relative. Show him that he is living in a state of grievous sin.

My blog
Old Jan 17, '11, 1:35 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothom View Post
I have a relative, he's a Pentecostal preacher, who's married to his step daughter. She was ~3 years old when he married her mother. He and her mother have 3 daughters. Before his step daughter became an adult, he and her mother divorced. The step daughter was finished being raised by her grand parents. Later on they married and now have 2 boys. I was wondering if this is a legitimate marriage, biblically speaking, or if they're living in fornication like the man in the 5th chapt. of 1st Corinthians who took his father's wife? I'm inclined to think this is all wrong.
The term for this is affinity in the direct line. Affinity is a relationship "arising from the carnal intercourse of a man and a woman, sufficient for the generation of children, whereby the man becomes related to the woman's blood-relatives and the woman to the man's."

The Catholic Church does NOT allow marriage in the direct line (parent, child, grandparent, etc) from a relationship arising from affinity.

The Church used to prohibit marriage in the collateral line as well (siblings, aunts/uncles, etc) but no longer prohibits marriage in the collateral line based on affinity.

Can. 1092 Affinity in the direct line in any degree invalidates a marriage.

Here is an article on biblical affinity:

http://newadvent.org/cathen/01177c.htm

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jan 17, '11, 1:54 pm
Banned

Religion: Cradle Catholic - Revert

"She was ~3 years old when he married her mother. He and her mother have 3 daughters. Before his step daughter became an adult, he and her mother divorced."

We need a vomiting "Smilie".
Old Jan 17, '11, 2:00 pm

Religion: Catholic - Somewhere between Roman and Ruthenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
The term for this is affinity in the direct line. Affinity is a relationship "arising from the carnal intercourse of a man and a woman, sufficient for the generation of children, whereby the man becomes related to the woman's blood-relatives and the woman to the man's."

The Catholic Church does NOT allow marriage in the direct line (parent, child, grandparent, etc) from a relationship arising from affinity.

The Church used to prohibit marriage in the collateral line as well (siblings, aunts/uncles, etc) but no longer prohibits marriage in the collateral line based on affinity.

Can. 1092 Affinity in the direct line in any degree invalidates a marriage.

Here is an article on biblical affinity:

http://newadvent.org/cathen/01177c.htm
This was King Henry's argument that his marriage with Catherine of Aragon was invalid. He was right - except that he'd already been given a dispensation by the Pope to marry her.

So he was asking the Pope to dispense with his dispensation and declare the marriage null. Right.
Old Jan 17, '11, 2:24 pm

Religion: old-fashioned Catholic

In England, until a century ago, a widower was forbidden from marrying his wife's sister. Now, it is still illegal in that country for divorcees to wed their former brothers or sisters in law. However, in the Bible, there is nothing that prohibits first cousins from uniting in matrimony or uncles from marrying their nieces or aunts their nephews. However, the circumstances in this particular case are a bit revolting.
Old Jan 17, '11, 2:34 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbkw View Post
"She was ~3 years old when he married her mother. He and her mother have 3 daughters. Before his step daughter became an adult, he and her mother divorced."

The closest one would be this:

Sick and disturbing, and on par with Woody Allen marrying and procreating with his adopted daughter.
Old Jan 17, '11, 3:34 pm

One of my friends at work is married to his step-sister.... But they were married first. His dad married his wife's mother after they were married.
Old Jan 17, '11, 4:25 pm
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbkw View Post

Here you go

Old Jan 17, '11, 5:03 pm

Religion: Agnostic w/ theist leanings

Quote:
That's awful. If I've understood that right, it sounds to me like near-incest, and I think English law (after the recent Sexual Offences Act was expanded to cover step-families, half-siblings, adoption etc.) might actually outlaw it now since - if he married her mother when she was 3 - he brought that girl up as though she were a daughter.
Old Jan 17, '11, 5:08 pm

Religion: Agnostic w/ theist leanings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicadmirer View Post
The closest one would be this:

Sick and disturbing, and on par with Woody Allen marrying and procreating with his adopted daughter.
Sex with an adopted daughter would certainly be legally incest in England.
Old Jan 17, '11, 5:31 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
I'm inclined to think this is all wrong.
So am I. That whole family seems very confused.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Jan 19, '11, 11:41 am

Religion: Pentecostal

Thanks for the replies! They have been most helpful. My cousin never formally adopted his step daughter. He married her mom in Texas. Divorced the same in New York. And then married the daughter in North Carolina. I don't know what the laws are in those places concerning the matter. Yes they are confused. I've only told half the story. The other half would have to be covered by another thread. Again, thanks for your replies!
Old Jan 19, '11, 4:13 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Thanks for the replies! They have been most helpful. My cousin never formally adopted his step daughter. He married her mom in Texas. Divorced the same in New York. And then married the daughter in North Carolina. I don't know what the laws are in those places concerning the matter. Yes they are confused. I've only told half the story. The other half would have to be covered by another thread. Again, thanks for your replies!

Don't confuse what is legally allowed in a particular country or state with what is a sin or not.
The Church does not allow a man to marry his step-daughter (whether he has legally adopted her or not).
The Canon Law regarding affinity has been quoted earlier in the thread by another poster.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics