Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Cat Lovers

Cat Lovers Click here to visit this social group

Old Jan 7, '10, 7:25 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic
Default Cat stories

Tell us some of your favorit stories about your cats: happy, sad, inspiring...

Yes, I DID just crawl out from under a rock...
Old Jan 11, '10, 12:29 am

Religion: ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH - Revert
Default Re: Cat stories

This is the story of Missy.

Missy was never my cat and I was only allowed the pleasure of fostering her for about four hours. But this cat has occupied a little part of my heart ever since I met her.

I was driving from Oregon to Southern California to visit my parents. I had my dog, Jamaica, with me. I was stopping at just about every rest stop so that I could walk with Jamaica. At the Buttonwillow rest stop I was walking her by a large pipe (for a drainage system?) when, to my surprise, I saw a cat pop its head out of the pipe and then pop back in again. Weird. So I looked in the pipe and sure enough there was a cat in there! She had made a nest of leaves and paper or perhaps was using a nest made by another animal.

I managed to coax her out. She was a large cat, matted and filthy; she was drooling brown stuff, her nose was runny with brown stuff, and one eye was infected. But she let me pick her up and she purred. She showed no fear of my dog (and my dog fell in love with her immediately). I named her "Missy" right then.

I thought I could find help in Buttonwillow and I ended up driving around and around but there was nobody who could help. Finally I drove to the animal shelter in Bakersfield. All this time Missy was sitting on my lap, rubbing her runny nose against my face. And purring.

I put her on the counter at the shelter (I didn't have a carrier). Missy trembled with fear but she didn't try to escape. The people at the shelter said she would probably be put down because she was ill. I knew I couldn't let that happen so I asked for a list of vets, which they provided.

The first vet's office was closed. The second vet was back toward Buttonwillow so we all set off again. This vet's office was open.

I walked in with this filthy, matted, sick cat. I was covered in brown drool and I didn't smell too good. I told the vet's assistant that I would pay whatever it cost to have the cat treated and I would stay in town to make sure she was placed (although I had no money to treat her or to stay in town and I wanted to keep her for myself).

The vet came out, took one look at Missy and said "I'll take her," then left to do whatever vets do. Now I was confused. They hadn't asked for money or told me how much it would cost to treat Missy. They hadn't even examined her. I had no idea what was going on.

The assistant told me that the vet had a friend who had just come here to live from Russia. She spoke no English and had just been diagnosed with bilateral breast cancer. Her only wish was to have a great big fluffy cat that she could hold and love.

Hence, Missy. Missy had a mission and it wasn't with me.

I never saw her again but I know that the vet treated her and that Missy gave that sick woman as much love as she could. Because that's the way Missy was.
He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

Old Jan 12, '10, 1:45 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Littlesoldier, what a beautiful and inspiring story. My eyes got misty as I read it. It's amazing how a pet can help someone who is very ill. Although not a cat story, I can attest to an example of this kind of help. I work in an ICU, and pets are definitely not allowed there--the manager is a stickler about it. So, all of us nurses had had the opportunity to care for a little old lady that wasn't long for the world. She had a pet chihuahua at home, whom she named Fish Bait. Her last wish was to see him one more time. So we instructed the family to sneak little Fish Bait under a coat into the room on a weekend in which the Nurse Manager wasn't there, and there was little chance of the Infectious Diseases doctor showing up. They put Fish Bait on her lap, and she instantly relaxed--her blood pressures stabilized, her heart rate went down to a normal level, her respirations became less labored. She was so happy, and in fact, she partially recovered enough from her illness to be able to go home. I hope she spent her last days surrounded by her family, with Fish Bait taking his place on her lap.

I had a cat, when I was a girl, named Arlene (from the Garfield comic strips... ). She was a shorthaired tabby mix with extra toes on each foot. Because of this. she was a little clumsy, but so was I. She would come into my room every morning to wake me up, purring and meowing, giving me head butts, etc. If I wasn't there, if I was at a friend's house spending the night, or something, she would still look for me all over the house, until my mother comforted her. She was with me from when I was 6 until I was 11. One day, I was outside playing, and found her dead in our fort that we had built. I cried and cried. She was my best friend. I pray that, in Heaven, God will "re-create" these special friends of ours, that we wouldn't be parted from them forever.

Yes, I DID just crawl out from under a rock...
Old Jan 22, '10, 12:28 am

Religion: Marian CATHOLIC

I have a cat called Lucky. She was born in my shop a few years ago, seemingly stillborn, along with another. I put her and the other into a bag, and put it in the top of the kitchen garbage, in the house, was going to take it out. I have had several still born cats born in that house, so was at the point, of this task having to simply be part of the process.

The shop was in the mid teens, temperature wise as well, since there was no insulation and almost no heat. The next afternoon, I took the garbage from the kitchen out to the main garbage can out front of the house. A couple of feet, just before reaching it and tossing it, into it, I heard this frantic, loud Mews.. I suddenly stopped, shaking over knowing that I almost threw out a newborn kitten. Apparently she was in a state of hypothermia, and by bringing her into the house, she managed to absorb the heat from the air to recover. She was returned to her mother, with of course, better accommodations in my room, and that's why her name is Lucky.

She's a sweet cat, kind of dainty when it comes down to it, stark contrast to my other one, who bounces between being a baby, or has major attitude. His name is apricot, he's an orange tabby, she's black and white, and you can see photo's of both of them at this groups main page.
Old Feb 13, '10, 9:06 pm

Hi Lumen!!
Fish Bait?? LOL, that is a great name!!

My Mom passed on a few years ago. We all knew she was going and none of us could be with her. She ended up in this horrible hospital and I knew about a nightmare she had had several years earlier where she dreamed she was dying in that hospital all alone. It terrified her.

Fortunately her caregiver was great, pulled her out of the hospital and took her home to her own bed and her cat, Miko-San. She passed away the next morning. She just went to sleep, with her cat. Her nightmare didn't come true.

I pray that God lets us be re-united with our pets, too. Do you remember that Twilight Zone episode where the man died and I guess his dog died, too, and they were walking down a dirt road when they see what they think is an angel? They try to enter "heaven" but the "angel" won't let the dog in. So the man refuses to go in and keeps walking with his dog. Later on they find a real angel and the real heaven. Moral: Satan hates animals and animals will protect you if you love them. Weird, I don't think I've seen that episode in years. I'm not even sure it's the Twilight Zone.

Anyway, I hope and pray that God will let us be with our animals. I can't imagine why we couldn't be.
He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

Old May 21, '10, 3:10 pm
Banned

Religion: Ukrainian Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleSoldier View Post

I pray that God lets us be re-united with our pets, too. Do you remember that Twilight Zone episode where the man died and I guess his dog died, too, and they were walking down a dirt road when they see what they think is an angel? They try to enter "heaven" but the "angel" won't let the dog in. So the man refuses to go in and keeps walking with his dog. Later on they find a real angel and the real heaven. Moral: Satan hates animals and animals will protect you if you love them. Weird, I don't think I've seen that episode in years. I'm not even sure it's the Twilight Zone.

Anyway, I hope and pray that God will let us be with our animals. I can't imagine why we couldn't be.
Hi LittleSoldier!

I'm a big Twilight Zone fan, so I know that episode very well. It's called "The Hunt" and the reason given that the Devil doesn't let dogs into hell is because they can smell the brimstone and would warn us.
Old Jun 15, '10, 4:21 pm

Religion: Marian CATHOLIC

Author unknown:

Everyone in the apartment complex I lived in knew who Ugly was. Ugly was the resident tomcat. Ugly loved three things in this world: fighting, eating garbage, and, shall we say, love.

The combination of these things combined with a life spent outside had their effect on Ugly. To start with, he had only one eye and where the other should have been was a hole. He was also missing his ear on the same side, his left foot appeared to have been badly broken at one time, and had healed at an unnatural angle, making him look like he was always turning the corner.

Ugly would have been a dark gray tabby, striped type, except for the sores covering his head, neck, and even his shoulders. Every time someone saw Ugly there was the same reaction. “That’s one UGLY cat !”

All the children were warned not to touch him, the adults threw rocks at him, hosed him down, squirted him when he tried to come in their homes, or shut his paws in the door when he would not leave. Ugly always had the same reaction.

If you turned the hose on him, he would stand there, getting soaked until you gave up and quit. If you threw things at him, he would curl his lanky body around your feet in forgiveness.

Whenever he spied children, he would come running, meowing frantically and bump his head against their hands, begging for their love.

If you ever picked him up he would immediately begin suckling on your shirt, earrings, whatever he could find.

One day Ugly shared his love with the neighbor’s dogs. They did not respond kindly, and Ugly was badly mauled. I tried to rush to his aid. By the time I got to where he was laying, it was apparent Ugly’s sad life was almost at an end.

As I picked him up and tried to carry him home, I could hear him wheezing and gasping, and could feel him struggling. It must be hurting him terribly, I thought.

Then I felt a familiar tugging, sucking sensation on my ear. Ugly, in so much pain, suffering and obviously dying, was trying to suckle my ear. I pulled him closer to me, and he bumped the palm of my hand with his head, then he turned his one golden eye towards me, and I could hear the distinct sound of purring.

Even in the greatest pain, that ugly battled scarred cat was asking only for a little affection, perhaps some compassion. At that moment I thought Ugly was the most beautiful, loving creature I had ever seen. Never once did he try to bite or scratch me, try to get away from me, or struggle in any way. Ugly just looked up at me completely trusting in me to relieve his pain.

Ugly died in my arms before I could get inside, but I sat and held him for a long time afterwards, thinking about how one scarred, deformed little stray could so alter my opinion about what it means to have true pureness of spirit, to love so totally and truly.

Ugly taught me more about giving and compassion than a thousand books, lectures, or talk show specials ever could, and for that I will always be thankful. He had been scarred on the outside, but I was scarred on the inside, and it was time for me to move on and learn to love truly and deeply. To give my total to those I cared for.

Many people want to be richer, more successful, well liked, beautiful, but for me…I will always try to be Ugly.
Old Jan 20, '11, 9:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigalson12 View Post
I have a cat called Lucky. She was born in my shop a few years ago, seemingly stillborn, along with another. I put her and the other into a bag, and put it in the top of the kitchen garbage, in the house, was going to take it out. I have had several still born cats born in that house, so was at the point, of this task having to simply be part of the process.

The shop was in the mid teens, temperature wise as well, since there was no insulation and almost no heat. The next afternoon, I took the garbage from the kitchen out to the main garbage can out front of the house. A couple of feet, just before reaching it and tossing it, into it, I heard this frantic, loud Mews.. I suddenly stopped, shaking over knowing that I almost threw out a newborn kitten. Apparently she was in a state of hypothermia, and by bringing her into the house, she managed to absorb the heat from the air to recover. She was returned to her mother, with of course, better accommodations in my room, and that's why her name is Lucky.

She's a sweet cat, kind of dainty when it comes down to it, stark contrast to my other one, who bounces between being a baby, or has major attitude. His name is apricot, he's an orange tabby, she's black and white, and you can see photo's of both of them at this groups main page.
Here is a little kitten, very very young, about to be tossed into the trash but she mews. Smart little Lucky. A very smart young lady. And indeed very lucky.

Old Jan 20, '11, 10:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigalson12 View Post
Author unknown:

Everyone in the apartment complex I lived in knew who Ugly was. Ugly was the resident tomcat. Ugly loved three things in this world: fighting, eating garbage, and, shall we say, love.

The combination of these things combined with a life spent outside had their effect on Ugly. To start with, he had only one eye and where the other should have been was a hole. He was also missing his ear on the same side, his left foot appeared to have been badly broken at one time, and had healed at an unnatural angle, making him look like he was always turning the corner.

Ugly would have been a dark gray tabby, striped type, except for the sores covering his head, neck, and even his shoulders. Every time someone saw Ugly there was the same reaction. “That’s one UGLY cat !”

All the children were warned not to touch him, the adults threw rocks at him, hosed him down, squirted him when he tried to come in their homes, or shut his paws in the door when he would not leave. Ugly always had the same reaction.

If you turned the hose on him, he would stand there, getting soaked until you gave up and quit. If you threw things at him, he would curl his lanky body around your feet in forgiveness.

Whenever he spied children, he would come running, meowing frantically and bump his head against their hands, begging for their love.

If you ever picked him up he would immediately begin suckling on your shirt, earrings, whatever he could find.

One day Ugly shared his love with the neighbor’s dogs. They did not respond kindly, and Ugly was badly mauled. I tried to rush to his aid. By the time I got to where he was laying, it was apparent Ugly’s sad life was almost at an end.

As I picked him up and tried to carry him home, I could hear him wheezing and gasping, and could feel him struggling. It must be hurting him terribly, I thought.

Then I felt a familiar tugging, sucking sensation on my ear. Ugly, in so much pain, suffering and obviously dying, was trying to suckle my ear. I pulled him closer to me, and he bumped the palm of my hand with his head, then he turned his one golden eye towards me, and I could hear the distinct sound of purring.

Even in the greatest pain, that ugly battled scarred cat was asking only for a little affection, perhaps some compassion. At that moment I thought Ugly was the most beautiful, loving creature I had ever seen. Never once did he try to bite or scratch me, try to get away from me, or struggle in any way. Ugly just looked up at me completely trusting in me to relieve his pain.

Ugly died in my arms before I could get inside, but I sat and held him for a long time afterwards, thinking about how one scarred, deformed little stray could so alter my opinion about what it means to have true pureness of spirit, to love so totally and truly.

Ugly taught me more about giving and compassion than a thousand books, lectures, or talk show specials ever could, and for that I will always be thankful. He had been scarred on the outside, but I was scarred on the inside, and it was time for me to move on and learn to love truly and deeply. To give my total to those I cared for.

Many people want to be richer, more successful, well liked, beautiful, but for me…I will always try to be Ugly.
I admit I cry easily and I'm a sucker for tear-jerker stories, but I cried my eyes out over this one. This poor cat - getting kicked around and abused and suffering and still reaching out with his last bit of energy.

God bless you for taking care of this cat in his time of need. This story breaks my heart. I'm keeping this one.

Old Jan 20, '11, 10:47 pm

The Story of Angel:

I have two little alligator lizards and I buy crickets for them at the only pet store in town. I went there one day to buy their food and as I was standing near the cash register I noticed a cat in a pen outside. She was extremely overweight and quite ugly. I think she was what is called a "dilute calico." I have a regular calico at home with the full bandit mask and beautiful gold eyes. The cat at the pet store looked washed-out. She had the calico colors but they were dull.

I had no idea why but I fell in love with her. I noticed a blackboard on the wall where the store owners write about the animals for sale. She was referred to as "spaded calico $50." I know the word is "spayed." I was a little upset that people who own a pet store don't even know the proper spelling of an important word like that.

I didn't buy the cat. I got my crickets and went home. But I couldn't get her out of my mind, this spaded cat with the dull colors. That Sunday I went back to the store but it was closed. Now I was getting frantic. I don't know why. I've never had that sort of feeling before. I was being drawn to her so strongly. On Monday I got there when they opened and I paid the $50 for the cat.

Not too long after that she mauled me so bad that my hand swelled up to about twice its normal size. I have to admit that she has a talent for mauling. She was nasty to me. She would swipe at me and she had her claws out. She bit me several times after the first mauling. She was making my life miserable. And I couldn't take her to the shelter because it was full and she had mauled me. She would have been put down. Nobody wanted this cat. So I opened the front door and put her outside. I decided it was up to her. If she left I wouldn't worry about her and I would be finished with her.

Of course none of that is true. I watched her through the window. She ran and ran and rolled on the grass over and over. I wondered how long it had been since she had been outside in the fresh air. Was this her first taste of freedom?

Less than half an hour later she came back to the door and I let her in. She had chosen her home. With me.

That was about eight months ago. Angel still lives with me. When I approach her I bow to her so she can smell my hair (and if she scratches me my hair should cover up the marks). Most of the time she lets me pet her. And a couple of times I've heard purring. She has even approached me once or twice, rolling on her back and asking to be petted.

She likes to drink drops of water straight from the tap. While watching her do this I realized she has the brightest eyes I've ever seen in a cat. And she isn't ugly at all. She's really very beautiful. I don't understand why I didn't notice that before.

Her name is Angel and her name is Bright Eyes and I love her deeply and will love her forever. She can take as long as she wants to get used to me. If she mauls me I'll go to the doctor again. If she purrs I will feel blessed. I love this cat, even when she scratches. I can't help it. I don't know why I feel this way. I have six cats and I've had so many in the past, but Angel is different. She's the only one who has touched me so deeply in my heart and so quickly. It only took one look.

My sister explained it to me. "It's really very simple," she said. "She's you." And you know what? I think that maybe my sister is right. Looking at Angel that first time was like looking into a mirror. Maybe I'm not quite as ugly as I think I am. Maybe someday someone will look at me and love me, too. You never know.

Old Jan 20, '11, 11:20 pm

Edit to Post #9: Ooops, I mean God bless to whomever took care of this cat. I'd read "author unknown" but by the time I got to the end of the story I'd forgotten about that.

Sorry.

But God bless you anyway. You shared the story.

Old Jan 31, '11, 9:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleSoldier View Post
Edit to Post #9: Ooops, I mean God bless to whomever took care of this cat. I'd read "author unknown" but by the time I got to the end of the story I'd forgotten about that.

Sorry.

But God bless you anyway. You shared the story.
I emailed Ugly's story to my sister. She had a cat that was mauled by dogs and died. Evidently the cat was horribly mutilated and nobody would allow my sister to see her. After she read Ugly's story she cried and held her present cat for a long time, listening to her purr. I just read the story again and I'm crying.

It's a remarkable story and can teach us so much. Sometimes I honestly think that God sends these little teachers to us, to help us know what is really important in life. I've learned so much from my cats and dogs.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Cat Lovers