Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 30, '11, 12:58 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: eclectic pagan
Default Re: How to get rid of ghosts or spirits

the christian way to deal with spirits are to assume they are demons(something i dont understand) and then use the power of God and/or Jesus Christ. read from the bible and order the spirit/demon away in the name of the lord/ Jesus Christ/ ect. other methods would be to invoke the names of angels. for christians who practice magic (another thing i dont understand) the lesser banishing ritual of the pentigram is approprite (it is a ritual which invokes the personal name of God as well as multiple angels in a ritualistic fashon). i personally see ghosts as souls in the upper circles of hell or as demons/angels or something inbetween.
Old Jan 30, '11, 2:40 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic

The answer to this problem seems very straightforward to me. You simply need to contact your priest and have him come and bless the house. This is good to do when you move into a new home regardless of whether or not there are any problems, however it is especially important if your home is infested with demons.

I have Native American relatives and have great respect for their culture, but respect for other cultures and tolerance does not mean you incorporate everyone else's practices and beliefs into your own. That's just a form of relativism that isn't tolerant, it's just what it's been called, superstitious.

If you are truly a believer in God and a member of the Catholic Church then you would by default not believe in these pagan practices. Whereas if you were pagan you also wouldn't believe in having a priest bless your home. Mixing the two belief systems clearly illustrates that the person who is doing so doesn't have much faith in either of them and just "shops around" when it comes to faith.

Also, one of my roommates was pagan (wicca) for several years before I knew her. She still holds onto some old beliefs associated with that religion and in the house her, my other roommate, and myself are renting there seems to be an infestation. She tried before I moved in to smudge the house in order to purify it and guess what...it didn't work. Not only did it not work, according to her and my other roommate things seemed to get a little worse once I moved in. I guess the demon doesn't like all the icons, crucifixes, and Saint Benedict medals I have. Anyway, nothing bad happens in my room of the house (only room of the house that can make that claim). I want to have a priest come bless this house, but am a little reluctant because some of the things my roommates do might well just "re-invite" darkness back into the place.

Also, as for the comment about the Archangel Raphael and what took place in the Book of Tobit, that is not the same thing as what is being discussed here. And Raphael didn't say "for anyone who is having demon problems do what I just told Tobias to do in this very particular instance". Nor was it the fish entrails that he burnt that actually defeated the demon in that story, but the Archangel Raphael himself who subdued the demon. God uses physical symbols sometimes to show power or teach, but that doesn't mean just because something's been done once in a very particular situation that repeating it is the correct thing to do. If that were the case then every time someone was blind we could do what Christ did and spit in the dirt, make mud, wipe it on their eyes, and tell them to wash it off and they'd be fine. Clearly, just as in the case of Raphael, it wasn't the physical things that cured anyone or defeated evil, it was God's power through faith that acheived this.

O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those most in need of Thy mercy. Amen
Old Jan 30, '11, 5:11 pm

I am of Native origin (Mohawk nation,) and it was common on the reservation for the priest to use sage as well as incense during the Mass. While white sage does have some pharmacologically active alkaloids useful in treating some minor ailments, since it never grew wild around where I was born, it was never a part of our traditional (Native) religion. Many of the older Catholic converts from Longhouse wondered why the priest used it at all at Mass. It probably was a nod to ethnicity. Sage was a traditional medicine used in ceremonies in midwest and western aboriginal nations, where it grew natively, but with the rise in consciousness of native American heritage, there has been a growth in something called the "pan Indian" movement, and its use in traditional ceremonies has spread.

The New Age people co-opted many Native practices in their New Age ceremonies. Without seeming disrespectful of whatever their need is, many Native people just scratch their heads about it. Our old religions make sense to those of us who were brought up in them (I was not, I am a cradle Catholic, although I have a couple of relatives who have reverted to Longhouse,) and the same goes for the ceremonies and medicines thereof. By the way, there are some unscrupulous Native people who pander to the New Age spirituality, offering such things as "vision quests," "sweat lodges," and the like, for a tidy sum of money. Kind of like, "okay, you can come on my property for four days, not eat or drink anything, and what you see is your spirit totem animal, for a thousand bucks." Yeah, it does happen. There is some spiritual entity with those who believe in these, and it's something not to be messed around with. Bad things can happen, and real traditionally trained medicine people are few and far between, but the New Agers don't realize that. The real traditional religions didn't seek converts, did not charge money for ceremonies, and usually did not admit outsiders to their ceremonies.

It's noteworthy that the spread of Catholicism among my people followed a smallpox epidemic. The Black Robes (Jesuits) had better ways of offering at least supportive physical care to native victims of the disease (and they became victims by being exposed to the Europeans, who had herd immunity,) than the traditional medicine men. Half my ancestors (my mother is Mohawk) decided that since the medicine of the Black Robes was more powerful, that meant they had a better pipeline to God. Since before the arrival of Europeans on these shores, the Iroquois have always believed in a monotheistic Supreme Being. Of course, some people took umbrage with that viewpoint and exodus to Catholicism, and so you have such things as the sufferings of Blessed Kateri Tekawitha (please pray for her cause,) and the Auriesville martyrs. Just a little bit of Iroquois history, in case anyone's interested.

Personally, if it were me living in a place I thought was being haunted by something, I'd put up a "for sale" sign and move outta there!
Old Jan 31, '11, 7:28 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sckcd View Post
My niece and her family moved into a home recently and it is haunted by spirits. They have seen a gray "little boy" who looked around age 8 or 9 and a "shadowy" old man. Things have been knocked over, such as their Christmas tree and mirrors. It hasn't been mean or bothersome other than knocking things over. The kids are aware of the beings and are skittish but otherwise living with it. What can be done to make it go away without provoking them to anger?
can i just add that as well as seeing a priest, your neice and her family...or you if they don't want to should offer prayers to god for whoever these souls are...say something in your prayer like if these souls are from purgatory then please grant them relief and deliverance, but if they from the evil side then please god protect the home, and family and remove the souls and send them back to hell and block them from ever coming near the home and family again...i'd get masses said for that too if i was you, a mass is the most powerful prayer we have

i agree you shouldn't try and communicate with them...but you should pray to god... they could be souls from purgatory...but then again they may be evil...just pray, have masses said...and update a catholic priest fully on what is going on and get him to visit them and assess what needs to be done next
*IF YOU ARE DESPERATE FOR YOUR PRAYERS TO BE ANSWERED THEN READ BOTH LINKS*
Old Jan 31, '11, 10:08 pm

Religion: Cradle Catholic

I have read books by Catholic mystics, and they say that there are many levels in purgatory. According to them, people in purgatory are sometimes required to come back to earth to the place where they made poor choices. They supposedly get to see the damage they've done.

What I have just said is not official Catholic teaching, but I would vote for prayer, holy water, crucifixes, etc. If things don't get better, a priest should be asked to bless the house.
Old Feb 1, '11, 5:01 am

Religion: Catholic (Ex Protestant)

Quote:
Yes, I definitely want my advice to my niece to be Christian-based, but I am not sure what to tell her. I will check out those links.

Some may not believe in ghosts, but I myself have seen a ghost (or spirit or demon or whatever you want to call them) myself before (not at my niece's house). I don't know what they are or why they are on Earth, but I do know that something was there and I just call them ghosts for lack of better word.
Back in my Protesant days, my wise old pastor once commented, "I think you'll be doing a cleaning job. You won't like it much and you won't be doing it for long, but I think the Lord will just want you to hear about a ghost".

He died in 1992 himself. Now I knew by that time how accurate his predictions were, but I thought that one was over the top. So I didn't give it much more thought.

But in 2006 I did a cleaning job for about 4 months ("not long") and I "didn't like it much".

However as I was being shown around an old store in Ipswich (possibly flooded in the recent floods) west of Brisbane, the young bloke showing me the run suddenly said, "This place is haunted." He went on to say that one night he was there all the stock just jumped off one entire row of shelves. At other times he could push a 200 pound buffer with one little finger, as something was pushing it along with him. And the floor was rather rough as it was an old store. He said he didn't like being there at night.

It turned out that a former manager had hanged himself downstairs. I used to get quite positive "vibes" when I was there, and I think the reason was that the "ghost" aka suicide expected me to get a mass said for him so he could be released. I suspect being bound to that place was his punishment for committing suicide.

One night I was there after the shop had shut, with all doors and rollers closed, when a bloke moved out from behind the back row, smiled at me, then moved back behind the last row. And I didn't see him again. There were only two managers still in the store.

I finally got around to phoning the priest at Ipswich. I don't know if he took me seriously, and I couldn't give him a name, as nobody knew what it was. I haven't been back to ask about the ghost, so I don't know if he's still there or not. I should check sometime I suppose.

So maybe the OP needs to try to track down the identity of the ghosts, and have a mass said for them.

And the old pastor could sit in his chair circa 1991 and say, "I think you'll be doing a cleaning job ... I think the Lord will just want you to hear about a ghost".

And in 2006?
Old Apr 30, '11, 3:40 pm
Trial Membership

I have very evil spirits in my home and have recordings to prove it. I am now making them weak by blessing the home with holy water and having Rosaries blessed as well as Crucifixis in my home. These spirits claim they have killed 7 people and buried them in my basement but I am not about to believe them enough to dig up my basement. So far I have counted about 9 very evil spirits in my home and they get annoying but I have begun to fight back and have them almost stopped by blessing my home with Holy Water and having Rosaries blessed and crucifix in all rooms blessed and now they can not even hardly talk. I now bless myself everyday with Holy Water as well. It is a mind thing and if you let them, they will win. Show no fear and say prayers and record prayers and play them as well. The main thing is, believe in God and show no fear and that starts them to get weak then get Holy water and bless your home from top to bottom, it does work as I am going through it now. I have over 300 recordings of them trying to get to me and saying how they hate God and they curse his name and at me but I laugh and say the "Lords Prayer". Yes, they will get angry but the more you go at them with your belief in God and Jesus and use Holy Water, they will fade away. I have delt with mine for a year. Then I decided it was time to get rid of them and it is working. They will challange your faith but don't give in. The spirits I have have been heard by my entire family and 2 groups of paranormal investigators. I was a paranormal investigator but now I am a bit ill and have my own home to get back as I went from paranormal investigator way of dealing with these spirits and went to my belief in God and believe me, it really works.
Old Apr 30, '11, 11:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Phillip View Post
Hey there...

We often burn a perpetual holy light before the icons (obtained from Church at easter time), and often Church incense is used throughout the house.
Andrew, can I obtain this holy light at any Orthodox church on Easter? Is it the same holy light from Resurrection church in Jerusalem?
Old May 1, '11, 4:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by catntim2 View Post
I have very evil spirits in my home and have recordings to prove it.
You may have a serious problem which will require more than just your prayers alone to solve.
Old May 1, '11, 7:27 am

I'll reiterate my original advice: Call a priest if you are so moved. Then call your realtor.

I never could understand those "haunted house" movies. If I, or anyone I know, heard or saw something preternatural, we wouldn't be sticking around for more of this kind of stuff. I'd be in the next county over within ten minutes!
Old Aug 10, '13, 2:41 pm
Observing Member

I'm having a similar problem with spirits/demons in my apartment. I had a Ouija Board which I threw out. I only used it once last year a few times and never used it again. I've been seeing masses of shadows and shadows of hands on the walls. My grandmother who sleeps on the couch, Had an experience last night and it wasn't a dream. A demon had attempted to attack her. She said she felt the demon on top of her. I have a Holy Water font and multiple crosses and religious plaques hanging on the head of my bed. I have a Saint Benedict's Medal which I will put under my pillow case at night while I sleep. The Ouija Board will be going out in the garbage today. I don't know what I was thinking when I brought this into my home. Anybody who says the board is just a piece of cardboard and plastic needs to experience what we've been experiencing. They are evil and should be banned. Please respond to me and let me know if I'm making the right decision by throwing it out. I live in an apartment and our landlord wouldn't let us burn it outside. The only option I have is to discard of it by garbage. I don't even like typing the word "Ouija". I'm very into my Catholic religion and I have no idea why I ever got this board in the first place.
Old Aug 10, '13, 2:54 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppl973 View Post
I'm having a similar problem with spirits/demons in my apartment. I had a Ouija Board which I threw out. I only used it once last year a few times and never used it again. I've been seeing masses of shadows and shadows of hands on the walls. My grandmother who sleeps on the couch, Had an experience last night and it wasn't a dream. A demon had attempted to attack her. She said she felt the demon on top of her. I have a Holy Water font and multiple crosses and religious plaques hanging on the head of my bed. I have a Saint Benedict's Medal which I will put under my pillow case at night while I sleep. The Ouija Board will be going out in the garbage today. I don't know what I was thinking when I brought this into my home. Anybody who says the board is just a piece of cardboard and plastic needs to experience what we've been experiencing. They are evil and should be banned. Please respond to me and let me know if I'm making the right decision by throwing it out. I live in an apartment and our landlord wouldn't let us burn it outside. The only option I have is to discard of it by garbage. I don't even like typing the word "Ouija". I'm very into my Catholic religion and I have no idea why I ever got this board in the first place.
Yes, get rid of the awful thing. Break it first so that if a child finds it, it can't be used. Maybe bury it in the kitchen garbage or the dirty cat litter, so that no one will be tempted by it.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Aug 10, '13, 7:34 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
My niece and her family moved into a home recently and it is haunted by spirits. They have seen a gray "little boy" who looked around age 8 or 9 and a "shadowy" old man. Things have been knocked over, such as their Christmas tree and mirrors. It hasn't been mean or bothersome other than knocking things over. The kids are aware of the beings and are skittish but otherwise living with it. What can be done to make it go away without provoking them to anger?
I can only tell you what I would do.

Place a miraculous medal of Mary in every room of the house. This should include any closet, bathroom, fouyer, hall, attic, garage, porch, or any other walk in space in the house.
Thumbtacking it to the wall is easy. The medals should be blessed first.

Also carry or wear one as well.

Each day say a special prayer to Mary asking for her protection.

I would also ask the priest to come and bless the house.

Mary promised that great and aboundant graces would be given to those who ask her who use her medal and trust in her help.

You may purchase them for 15 cents in bulk of 100 plus postage.
https://www.marytown.com/ecommerce/p...us-medals.aspx

May God bless and keep you. May God's face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality