Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Terri Schiavo: 2005

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 20, '05, 5:39 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to ThornGenX
Post Re: Another Terri Case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieOH
I have known about the Scott Thomas case for at least one month. I can fill in some detail about what has already been done.

First of all, the mere fact that the mother was awarded temporary custody in the first place is an indication that the judge in the case is not doing a George Greer. The mother has an equal chance of remaining the guardian. A smart lawyer can make a lot of her intentions to kill him without his permission.

Second, the doctors and staff are cooperating with Scott's mother and they will pull out all stops to save his life.

Third, there has been a video done by professional photographers to be presented to the court.

The original case date has been delayed because Scott's mother has changed lawyers. Also Scott has been examined by Dr. Hammesfahr.

Please pray for Scott, and pray especially for a positive outcome in his case so that his wife will not get guardianship.
I will pray that Scott Thomas will be allowed to live under the care of his mother.

Still, I get nervous that the horrible court decision that allowed Terri to be killed could be used against Scott Thomas and others in similar situations as Scott and Terri. Though too late for Terri, I hope the decision against her can be counteracted some how so future cases have life affirming precedents to build their cases on.

The differences existing between the situation Scott Thomas is in as opposed to that of Terri Schiavo may be enough to protect him from the harmful precedent of Terri's case, but others who have situations closer to Terri's could be in even more danger due to the decision in Terri's case. May the Lord have mercy on us and may the tide turn against these pro-death rulings.
Old Jun 20, '05, 1:32 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Another Terri Case?

I do not have any direct experience with hospice so my understand comes from others' experience.

I thought hospice took only those patients who were expected to die within a specified short period of time. I also thought they were to help make the person comfortable for their last days.

I realize that the judge and attorney in Terri Schiavo's case have close ties to the hospice facility in which she was murdered. Is this the same facility? Is it official hospice policy to accept disabled patients who are not dying and then cause their death?
Old Jun 20, '05, 2:03 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth B.
I do not have any direct experience with hospice so my understand comes from others' experience.

I thought hospice took only those patients who were expected to die within a specified short period of time. I also thought they were to help make the person comfortable for their last days.

I realize that the judge and attorney in Terri Schiavo's case have close ties to the hospice facility in which she was murdered. Is this the same facility? Is it official hospice policy to accept disabled patients who are not dying and then cause their death?
Hospice policy is to take patients who have been given 6 months or less to live. Not disabled, but otherwise healthy persons.
Rescue those unjustly sentenced to death; do not sit back and let them die! Proverbs 24:11

"Abortion is the ultimate exploitation of women." ---Alice Paul
Old Jun 20, '05, 9:15 pm

Religion: catholic

Here are the federal laws that hospices are supposed to abide by.
If you take a good look you will see Terri's hospice clearly violated these regulations in her case.
If it is true they agreed to accept Scott as a patient and to dehydrate him...this would also be a clear violation.

Who is looking into these hospices as they slowly turn into death chambers for NON-terminal patients?

http://www.hospicepatients.org/law.html
Old Jun 20, '05, 9:22 pm

Send a message via AIM to Lisa4Catholics

EXCLUSIVE

Schiavo Hospice CEO Determined to Corner The Death Market
© The Empire Journal

“We’ve got to corner the market”, Mary Labyak, executive director of The Hospice of Florida Suncoast told hospice employees at one of her monthly meetings.

She was talking about the death market.

Christina Brundage, a registered nurse employed by The Hospice of Florida Suncoast from 1995 until 2000, said that comment uttered by Labyak after a federal audit of the Hospice in 1995 was a turning point for her.

“It was like the old hospice was long gone. When I first went there, they were very supportive of the nurses. It was a very good working atmosphere at first and then things began to change. This was a whole new thing. The focus was different after that. I was happy to leave, I took early retirement”.
http://www.theempirejournal.com/5310..._ceo_deter.htm
Old Jun 20, '05, 9:40 pm
Book Club Member

I just read the link. This Dr. Avery used to head Visiting Nurses Association of New York???? I work for VNA!!!! (Actually at a company owned by VNA) Too weird. Also, what is this about the Bush holdings and The Beverly company and maybe that's why they didn't want to get too involved with Terri's case?
Rescue those unjustly sentenced to death; do not sit back and let them die! Proverbs 24:11

"Abortion is the ultimate exploitation of women." ---Alice Paul
Old Jun 20, '05, 9:42 pm

Send a message via AIM to Lisa4Catholics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofone
I just read the link. This Dr. Avery used to head Visiting Nurses Association of New York???? I work for VNA!!!! (Actually at a company owned by VNA) Too weird. Also, what is this about the Bush holdings and The Beverly company and maybe that's why they didn't want to get too involved with Terri's case?
The tangled webs here are unreal
Old Jun 26, '05, 10:07 pm

Do any of you have updates on the case?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Terri Schiavo: 2005