Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 27, '11, 5:02 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic - came home 21/01/11
Default Some quick questions ... mass, sacramentals ... stuff

So my daughter and I have been back at the church now a few days over a whole month. I am quite happy to say that after having been away myself for 22 years. Since I was away so long and still quite new to it ... there are some things I'm still 'learning' if you will.

Up until this weekend (well technically starting next Sunday the 6th) my daughter and I were attending the 10:30am Sunday morning mass. Next Sunday though, we will no longer have transportation to the church. I'd walk it for only it's the dead of winter, with no sidewalks and shes four. But our church offers mass on Saturday at 5pm.

I know for some places, any mass after 4pm would meet a persons Sunday obligation. We're in Canada. Does this go for Canada too, does anyone know?

I'm sorry. I know this is an often asked question, but I could only seem to find answers pertaining to the US.

I'd love to continue going to Sunday morning mass but until the snow goes and walking is more feasible, Saturdays seem like they are our only option as the next nearest church is a half hour away (by car not by bus by bus its almost two hours) but even that isn't too helpful as most masses are held at the same time or within a half hours difference.

Just want to make sure, it's the right thing for my daughter and I to do in this situation. Once the spring comes and theres more walkways available than busy streets, I wouldn't mind the walk to the church.

Oh! and if you're still reading ... the sacramental question! My mother brought me in a daily mass missal (St.Joesph) from 1964 that my grandfather gave to my grandmother on Mother's Day (1965.) When I was going through it, I came across a little card in some plastic. Inside along with the little card, was an equally old rose petal. I believe it was a card for Saint Therese of Lisieux. I'm still reading up on saints myself so I was and am still unfamiliar with her. But especially with this sacramental. It says the rose petal has been touched to her relics (I also have a St. Anne card that was my great grandmothers that has been touched to St. Anne's relics) and I'm really honestly not sure what I should do with either of them.

Forgive my ignorant and quite dumb questions, but I'm honestly trying to learn and any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you VERY much if you've read this far.
Old Feb 27, '11, 5:14 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Some quick questions ... mass, sacramentals ... stuff

Can't answer about the holy card though why not just keep them? But the Saturday night vigil in the US is the same mass as is said on Sunday. I would think that that holds true for Canada as well. Why not call the church and ask? Just for your reassurance?

Welcome home.
Old Feb 27, '11, 6:02 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam1947 View Post
Can't answer about the holy card though why not just keep them? But the Saturday night vigil in the US is the same mass as is said on Sunday. I would think that that holds true for Canada as well. Why not call the church and ask? Just for your reassurance?

Welcome home.
These cards are lovely so I've no intention of getting rid of them My mother and uncle have been cleaning my grandmothers house since she passed last year, and they've brought me all her items, at least those for the church. I've been so thankful for that. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something incorrectly in perhaps keeping these prayer cards, that have been blessed or touched to relics in the missal where my grandmother kept them.

Yes, I should call for my own reassurance. I had meant to ask Father this morning after mass but entirely forgot about it with my daughter and niece both needing a washroom break

Thank you Miriam!
Old Feb 27, '11, 6:28 pm

Religion: Catholic

My parish publishes "ride share" requests in the weekly bulletin. Talk to your Priest/Pastor and see if they know of someone in your area who would be willing to give you and your daughter a lift to mass.

I know it can be pricey, but what about a "cab/taxi"?

As to the holy cards, put then in the corner of a picture frame or mirror. Put them in your china cabinet, if you have one. Tuck them into your bible. If you don't have a bible, ask your Pastor, most churches have a stock of bibles and will gladly give you one.

Welcome Home!!
Old Feb 27, '11, 6:56 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureen1125 View Post
My parish publishes "ride share" requests in the weekly bulletin. Talk to your Priest/Pastor and see if they know of someone in your area who would be willing to give you and your daughter a lift to mass.

I know it can be pricey, but what about a "cab/taxi"?

As to the holy cards, put then in the corner of a picture frame or mirror. Put them in your china cabinet, if you have one. Tuck them into your bible. If you don't have a bible, ask your Pastor, most churches have a stock of bibles and will gladly give you one.

Welcome Home!!

I haven't seen anything like that in our bulletin, but that doesn't mean there isn't anything similar. I will look into the "ride share" and see if there is something similar here.

Yes, pricey indeed. But it's something I had thought of. It's just something I need to look into the actual cost of and sit down to figure out if it's something we can currently swing. If not, I will have to (if the 5pm mass on Saturday is valid) make due until the weather perks up some.

I mostly read the bible online. I've tried many times to go to the bookstore to purchase one, but have only been able to find NIV and NSRV copies in the bookstore. My next stop was to ask my church if they had one I could purchase but my sister, who oddly enough is Pentecostal, told me of a website where I can actually purchase and NAB or a RSV-CE. In the mean time, between reading the bible online, I have my fathers bible that he was given when he entered the church in 1975. The only down side is it's size and weight.

Thank you for the advice on the sacramentals. I've acquired so many things as my mother and uncle clean my grandmothers house. I've been so incredibly blessed. In all sorts of ways.

Thank you Maureen!

It's so very very nice to be back. When I stop and think about all the years that I let go by, with no good reason at all, I could kick myself.
Old Feb 27, '11, 6:59 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

A 5:00 pm Saturday is just as good as a Sunday morning Mass, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Some people are of the opinion that Sunday morning Mass is "better", but the Church makes no distinction between Saturday evening, Sunday morning, or even Sunday evening.

For any Holy Day of Obligation (HDO), which here in Canada means all Sundays, Christmas, and New Years Day (which is the Feast of Mary, Mother of God), you fulfill that obligation by attending Mass or Divine Liturgy in any Rite of the Catholic Church on the day of or the evening before (which means after 4pm).

"Any Rite of the Catholic Church" means any Roman Catholic Mass, but would also include Ukrainian Catholic Divine Liturgy (which is the most common of the other Catholic Liturgies in Canada. It not include any Orthodox Divine Liturgies).

Lord God, we ask you to bless and protect the Holy Catholic Church.
"God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us" - Romans 5:8

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments