Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 2, '11, 7:21 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Osama Bin Laden Is Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JharekCarnelian View Post
We have in our history many Catholics who have commited evils as grave as Bin Laden's or perverted the faith to serve their cause and not God's. Would we be happy therefore to see them denied a Christian burial? Do we take our teachings from Islam or Christianity as to how we treat our enemies. Fighting them is not always wrong, nor killing them in war. Although it is always regrettable. Dishonouring the dead is another matter, even if they have committed great acts of evil as Bin Laden had.
No one was dishonored.
Old May 2, '11, 7:23 am

Quote:
How do you or I know what God's judgement will be? If you apply this line of logic it can be applied to all whom have died.
I don't know. But I am not sinning if I don't pray for this man.
Old May 2, '11, 7:24 am

Quote:
Are the individuals who carried out these gruesome attacks now our teachers as opposed to Christ?

Did anyone make that claim?
Old May 2, '11, 7:24 am
Forum Elder

What a weekend. With the royal wedding at the start of it and Osama's death at the end of it, Blessed John Paul II gets the short-end of the stick in terms of media coverage. I can't help but think he doesn't mind, though.

It reminds me of how Mother Teresa died so shortly after the death of Princess Di. Even in death she was humble and shirked the spotlight.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old May 2, '11, 7:25 am

Quote:
We have in our history many Catholics who have commited evils as grave as Bin Laden's or perverted the faith to serve their cause and not God's. Would we be happy therefore to see them denied a Christian burial? .

Just so you know a Christian burial Osama would have been a huge insult.
Old May 2, '11, 7:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryMelkite View Post
That I agree with. Like I said in my previous post responding to your post, I feel neither joy nor gladness. I'm basically relieved that he cannot kill any more human beings. OTOH, I will pray for him. (Though you and I would almost certainly be right in saying that that would probably not do any good).

But yes, "rot in hell" is disgusting-------------to ME. Even though he does not deserve it, we are so much better than that. Perfectly human response, but still----------------we are called to something "higher" as Christians.
I completely agree. Aside from the fact that saying these things only sink us to his level (let's face it, his whole platform for his terrorism was using his faith to call his crimes "God's justice), but I think of it more like this:

Scripture makes it abundantly clear that hell is never anything to be wished for for anyone. Then, of course, there is the idea that God sending anyone to hell (not that I am assuming that he did this) breaks his heart in ways we can't imagine since we are all his beloved no matter how far we have strayed. I don't wish for anything that hurts our Lord. Jesus died for Osama too because he loves him that much.

I also keep thinking of St. Paul and how he used to slaughter innocent christians as well, and he converted. God can have mercy on anyone, and I dare one person here to say that St. Paul is in hell for his crimes which were just as horrendous.
Old May 2, '11, 7:26 am
Forum Elder

Let us take perhaps as our example the Late servant of God Pope John Paul II who prayed and visited the man who tried to assinate him. Or more importantly yet Christ suffering as none have ever suffered before or shall after on the Cross yet still praying for his tormentors.

Let us also realise all of us here have figures that have persecuted or attacked our various countries we would find it hard to pray for.

Let us remember it is our weakness that we cannot find it in our hearts to pray for them. Their weakness was to commit such evils that led us to this.
Old May 2, '11, 7:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRose73 View Post
Its about time. I know its a bad thing to say, and I should pray for my enemies like Jesus said but I cannot pray for this man's soul who ordered a group of men to cause a lot of deaths on my country's soil on September 11, 2001, and also have done other things to cause death & injuries in other nations over the years.

I do pray for the several thousand innocent of my fellow Americans and those of other nationalities who were killed that dark September day in New York City, Washington DC and the farmlands of Pennsylvania. May they rest in peace, and let perpetual light shine up on them.
I'd rather pray for the innocent people who died on 9/11 (and for those who died in Kenya and Tanzania in the embassy bombings, and the members of the USS Cole). Bin Laden has gone before the judgment seat of God, and has already received his sentence...he had the blood of thousands on his hands.

About time that 'the good guys' won! God bless the brave Navy SEALS who performed this necessary task! WOO HOO!

Not only is God merciful-HE IS ALSO JUST! And we have to remember that!

Rest in peace, all you who died at the World Trade Center in New York City, at the Pentagon in Washington, DC, and in the field in Shanksville, PA [this one is always forgotten for some reason]. This was done for you!

I heard the news while listening to the radio in bed-I couldn't believe it at first, but then I whooped with joy! It jarred me out of a sound sleep!
Old May 2, '11, 7:28 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: Vatican Says Bin Laden's Death Cause for Reflection, Not Rejoicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Press View Post
VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- The Vatican said the killing of al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden, a man who sowed division and hatred and who caused "innumerable" deaths, should prompt serious reflection about one's responsibility before God, not rejoicing.

Jesuit Father Federico Lombardi, the Vatican spokesman, released a brief written statement reacting to the news.

"Osama bin Laden, as we all know, bore the most serious responsibility for spreading divisions and hatred among populations, causing the deaths of innumerable people, and manipulating religions to this end," Father Lombardi said.

"In the face of a man's death, a Christian never rejoices, but reflects on the serious responsibilities of each person before God and before men, and hopes and works so that every event may be the occasion for the further growth of peace and not of hatred," the spokesman said.

More...
Old May 2, '11, 7:35 am

For those who are weepy and insist on prayers for OBL I hope you were doing your Christian duty and praying for him last week. That's when he needed them.

Praying for the dead is not a requirement of our faith.

Praying for enemies who persecute you is what Jesus commanded, not dead enemies.
Old May 2, '11, 7:36 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic In Faith Only
Send a message via AIM to Scott_Lafrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrefreshed View Post
No, we don't have to pray for his soul.

Tell me, am I committing a sin if I don't?
You can pray that God will exact His perfect justice according to His will, not ours. Pray for understanding.
Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old May 2, '11, 7:38 am

Religion: Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRRTFAN View Post
I, like you, do not gloat over any man's death. As to uproar over Arabic states, you know what, I've had it with their uproars and protests. Somebody eating a ham sandwich in DesMoines with a Koran in the room causes an uproar in the Arabic states. Let 'em uproar. I'm over their childish balogna.
I really like that comment.
Old May 2, '11, 7:44 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic In Faith Only
Send a message via AIM to Scott_Lafrance

I talked to my parochial vicar (who is also a Navy Chaplain) earlier and asked him if I needed to go to confession for being glad that ObL was dead. He told me if so, he would have to go himself because he felt a sense of peace and relief when he found out. He doesn't advise partying in the street, but to experience a sense of spiritual peace is not unusual, considering the autrocities this man had committed.
Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old May 2, '11, 7:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcatholic View Post
Hmmm...why didn't they capture him and put him on trial? There will probably be a bunch of people hailing him as a martyr now.
Because the president wanted him dead. The Obama administration didn't want a trial of any kind. After attacking Bush's military tribunals then their own failed attempt at a civilian trial Obama couldn't deal with an extremely high profile trial like Bush did with Saddam Hussein.

Quote:
(Reuters) - The U.S. special forces team that hunted down Osama bin Laden was under orders to kill the al Qaeda mastermind, not capture him, a U.S. national security official told Reuters.

"This was a kill operation," the official said, making clear there was no desire to try to capture bin Laden alive in Pakistan.

(Reporting by Mark Hosenball, writing by Matt Spetalnick)
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7413H220110502
Old May 2, '11, 7:50 am
Banned

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

We should show sorrow for every death, and never experience joy at another's death. We can experience gratitude, relief, or peace. But joy? never.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News