Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 17, '11, 1:07 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: Would I be committing sin if I go to Greek Orthodox instead of Roman Catholic one weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJMason View Post
I am in the process of converting from Protestantism(or technically, however I considered myself Atheist, but I was a member of the Baptists church) anyways.. I am converting to Roman Catholicism, I turn 15 next month and I want to be sure that I am doing the right thing and that I don't belong anywhere else. I mean, I have never experienced the Greek Orthodox church. My heritage is Greek, I think.. But I want to be sure that's not where I belong. I have full faith in the Roman Catholic church, but it's always good to try new things..

Would it be like skipping mass if I went to a Greek Orthodox just once?
if you are not yet Catholic you have no Mass obligation in any case. You are certainly free to attend a Greek Orthodox liturgy at any time. They do not have open communion so you will not be receiving of course. Ask the priest who is preparing you for reception into the Catholic Church about which Rite you will come under. For instance, if your family is Greek Orthodox, especially your father, you would probably be received as a Greek Catholic (even if it actually takes place in a Latin Rite "Roman Catholic" parish). this is also a good time to talk to your family about your heritage which is very rich in culture and faith.

Welcome home

once you become Catholic, through confirmation and profession of faith, you will be obligated to attend Mass every Sunday and Holy Day, but you can still visit other churches in addition to that.
Old May 17, '11, 1:12 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Would I be committing sin if I go to Greek Orthodox instead of Roman Catholic one weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
Exception 1: If going for educational reasons to a non-catholic service with valid sacraments, Catholics in the US fulfill their sunday obligation by attending said liturgy, per the Ecumenical directory for the United States.

. . .

Unfortunately, I've not found the Ecumencical Directory online; I've read my dad's paper copy. It's a publication of the USCCB, with recognitio from Rome.
I think you are thinking of the 1967 Directory Ad Totam Ecclesiam, which stated in relevant part:
47. A Catholic who occasionally, for reasons set out below [FN: Cf. n.50.], attends the holy liturgy (Mass) on a Sunday or holiday of obligation in an Orthodox Church is not then bound to assist at Mass in a Catholic Church. It is likewise a good thing if on such days Catholics, who for just reasons cannot go to Mass in their own Church, attend the Holy Liturgy of their separated Oriental brethren, if this is possible.

50. Catholics may be allowed to attend Orthodox liturgical services if they have reasonable grounds, e.g. arising out of a public office or function, blood relationships, friendships, desire to be better informed, etc. In such cases there is nothing against their taking part in the common responses, hymns, and actions of the Church in which they are guests. Receiving Holy Communion, however, will be governed by what is laid down above, nn. 42 and 44 [requiring permission after mutual consultation between ecclesial authorities, or special circumstances]. . . . .
This was superseded by the 1983 Code of Canon Law, which requires attending Mass in a Catholic rite on every day of obligation. The present requirement is therefore reflected in no. 115 the 1993 Directory for the Application of Principles and Norms on Ecumenism:
Catholics—but those of Eastern Churches according to their own Law—are obliged to attend Mass on that day [i.e. Sunday] and on days of precept. . . . [A]nd it must be remembered that even when Catholics participate in ecumenical services or in services of other Churches and ecclesial Communities, the obligation of participating at Mass on these days remains.

Old May 17, '11, 1:13 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic- Old Rite & Daughter of Dominic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
if you are not yet Catholic you have no Mass obligation in any case. You are certainly free to attend a Greek Orthodox liturgy at any time. They do not have open communion so you will not be receiving of course. Ask the priest who is preparing you for reception into the Catholic Church about which Rite you will come under. For instance, if your family is Greek Orthodox, especially your father, you would probably be received as a Greek Catholic (even if it actually takes place in a Latin Rite "Roman Catholic" parish). this is also a good time to talk to your family about your heritage which is very rich in culture and faith.

Welcome home

once you become Catholic, through confirmation and profession of faith, you will be obligated to attend Mass every Sunday and Holy Day, but you can still visit other churches in addition to that.
PuzzleAnnie,

What is your opinion of this:

Quote:
Exception 1: If going for educational reasons to a non-catholic service with valid sacraments, Catholics in the US fulfill their sunday obligation by attending said liturgy, per the Ecumenical directory for the United States.
I'm a bit confused.

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old May 17, '11, 1:16 pm

I'm a very active member of my parish, but we have enough services so I could go to one and still attend a Greek Orthodox Divine Liturgy on Sunday (assuming I wasn't scheduled to read that Sunday).

There's no sin in attending a Greek Orthodox Church, which I'm planning to do in the weeks ahead. My grandfather was Greek, and I want to understand and see how he worshiped. I'll tell my priest what I intend to do (he and the Greek Orthodox priest know each other well), just so he could provide me an introduction--but I don't feel an obligation to mention it and certainly don't feel any sin attached.

The more we understand all religions, the more we are able to view all people as our brothers and sisters. There are many paths to God, and I trust God to help each soul find a path that works for them.
Old May 17, '11, 1:18 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRue View Post
I'm a very active member of my parish, but we have enough services so I could go to one and still attend a Greek Orthodox Divine Liturgy on Sunday (assuming I wasn't scheduled to read that Sunday).

There's no sin in attending a Greek Orthodox Church, which I'm planning to do in the weeks ahead. My grandfather was Greek, and I want to understand and see how he worshiped. I'll tell my priest what I intend to do (he and the Greek Orthodox priest know each other well), just so he could provide me an introduction--but I don't feel an obligation to mention it and certainly don't feel any sin attached.

The more we understand all religions, the more we are able to view all people as our brothers and sisters. There are many paths to God, and I trust God to help each soul find a path that works for them.
But you're saying you would still attend a mass as well right?

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM
Old May 17, '11, 1:22 pm

Religion: Byzantine Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JharekCarnelian View Post
Remember there will be no seats You might have known this I suspect already though
Actually, depends on the church. The Greek Orthodox churches here all have either pews or chairs and several have organs as well
Old May 17, '11, 1:36 pm
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRue View Post

Blessed Pope John Paul II highly encouraged Roman Catholics to familiarize themselves with the traditions of the Eastern Churches in his Apostolic Letter, Orientale Lumen. I think every Roman Catholic should attend a few Eastern Catholic or Orthodox Liturgies well enough to familiarize themselves. It can only add to our own understanding and help facilitate the process for reconciliation.
Old May 17, '11, 3:22 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I would suggest that you attend a week day service instead of missing mass on Sunday morning. Most Orthodox parishes offer at least Vespers on Saturday night, if not a Divine Liturgy for a feast day during the week, so one should be easy to find. This way you can see eastern worship without missing the eucharist, which is absolutely critical to your spiritual life. Your Orthodox brother in Christ,

Don
"Now in the Catholic Church itself we take the greatest care to hold that which has been believed everywhere, always and by all. That is truly and properly 'Catholic'" - St. Vincent of Lerins, Commitorium
Old May 17, '11, 3:28 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkThompson View Post
This was superseded by the 1983 Code of Canon Law, which requires attending Mass in a Catholic rite on every day of obligation. The present requirement is therefore reflected in no. 115 the 1993 Directory for the Application of Principles and Norms on Ecumenism:
Catholics—but those of Eastern Churches according to their own Law—are obliged to attend Mass on that day [i.e. Sunday] and on days of precept. . . . [A]nd it must be remembered that even when Catholics participate in ecumenical services or in services of other Churches and ecclesial Communities, the obligation of participating at Mass on these days remains.
Oh I missed this post. Thanks for the clarification because I was told before on this board that attending an Orthodox church does not release a Catholic of his obligations.

Of course, neither I nor the OP is technically Catholic, but I'm just saying'.

HOC EST ENIM CORPUS MEUM

Last edited by TrueLight; May 17, '11 at 3:38 pm.
Old May 18, '11, 12:12 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Remember there will be no seats You might have known this I suspect already though
Not necessarily true. the Greek Orthodox Church in Louisville Ky has pews.

He has Risen!!! Amen
Ed
Old May 18, '11, 2:08 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJMason View Post
I am in the process of converting from Protestantism(or technically, however I considered myself Atheist, but I was a member of the Baptists church) anyways.. I am converting to Roman Catholicism, I turn 15 next month and I want to be sure that I am doing the right thing and that I don't belong anywhere else. I mean, I have never experienced the Greek Orthodox church. My heritage is Greek, I think.. But I want to be sure that's not where I belong. I have full faith in the Roman Catholic church, but it's always good to try new things..

Would it be like skipping mass if I went to a Greek Orthodox just once?
I suggest to look at the doctrines.. because if you look at the worship/liturgical style, even if you really like the Greek one, it would not mean that you need to be Greek Orthodox because the Eastern Catholics have the exact same liturgy and theology as the EO I would suggest looking at doctrines like the Papacy, etc, that is what it all depends on. If you feel drawn to Eastern liturgy, you can also be Eastern Catholic - they are fully Catholic just like Roman Catholics.

God bless

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Old May 18, '11, 5:34 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic - Ruthenian Church

Quote:
Actually, the Greeks are noted for occasional pews, and allowing organs... at least in some places. Almost all the local Orthodox parishes have a few seats up here... for the old, the infirm, and the pregnant.

Don't COUNT on there being seats... but don't be too surprised if you actually find them.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism