Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter Fan Group (FSSP)

Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter Fan Group (FSSP) Click here to visit this social group

Old Jun 5, '11, 1:34 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Traditional Catholic(fssp)
Default Saint Quotes

"We've Had Enough Of Exhortations To Be Silent! Cry Out With A Hundred Thousand Tongues. I See That The World Is Rotten Because Of Silence." ~ St. Catherine of Siena

'We should guard against jealousy, and even the slightest sentiment thereof. This vice is absolutely opposed to a pure and sincere zeal for the glory of God, and is a certain proof of secret and subtle pride.' St. Vincent de Paul

'Mary being destined to negotiate peace between God and man, it was not proper that she should be an accomplice in the disobedience of Adam.' St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'When we hear people talk of riches, honors and amusements of the world, let us remember that all things have an end, and let us then say: "My God, I wish for You alone and nothing more."'
St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'If one fears men much he will never do anything great for God: all that one does for God arouses persecution.' St. Ignatius of Loyola

'Your prayer ought to be continual. The place wherein we ought to pray is the spirit of God.'
St. Paul of the Cross

'A seed will not grow without earth and water; and a man will not develop without voluntary suffering and divine help.' St. Mark the Ascetic

'It is not the finest wood that feeds the fire of Divine love, but the wood of the Cross.'
St. Ignatius of Loyola

'Sin is a blazing fire. The less fuel you give it, the faster it dies down; the more you feed it, the more it burns.' St. Mark the Ascetic

'I recommend to you not to lose sight of the Passion and death of Jesus, our life.'
St. Paul of the Cross

'Peace is deliverance from the passions, and is not found except through the action of the Holy Spirit.' St. Mark the Ascetic

'As all our wickedness consists in turning away from our Creator, so all our goodness consists in uniting ourselves with Him.' St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'Prayer, pious reading, the frequentation of the sacraments, and, especially, the shunning of idleness, are the guardians of holy purity.' St. Paul of the Cross

'For because sentence is not speedily pronounced against the evil, the children of men commit evils without any fear.' Ecclesiastes 8:11

'O my God, how happy should I be to hear from Thy lips those words which Thou didst once address to Saint Thomas of Aquin: Thou hast spoken well of Me, Pierre!' St. Peter Julian Eymard

'To be without pity for other men's falls, is an evident sign that we shall fall ourselves shortly.'
St. Philip Neri

'Let us go to the foot of the Cross, and there complain---if we have the courage.' St. Madeleine Sophie Barat

'If we want to do something but cannot, then before God, who knows our hearts, it is as if we have done it. This is true whether the intended action is good or bad.' St. Mark the Ascetic

'Deeper spiritual knowledge helps the hard-hearted man: for unless he has fear, he refuses to accept the labor of repentance.' St. Mark the Ascetic

'You ought to make every effort to free yourselves even from venial sin, and to do what is most perfect.' St. Teresa of Jesus

'We must not trust in ourselves, but take the advice of our spiritual father, and recommend ourselves to everybody's prayers.' St. Philip Neri

'When we have handled something fragrant, our hands perfume whatever they touch, let our prayers pass through the Blessed Virgin's hands, and she will give them fragrance.'
St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

'Woe to him who neglects to recommend himself to Mary, and thus closes the channel of grace!'

'We must never be discouraged or give way to anxiety. . . but ever have recourse to the adorable Heart of Jesus.' St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Let us be humble and keep ourselves down: - Obedience! Humility! Detachment!' St. Philip Neri

'The cross is a precious treasure to be kept secret, lest we be robbed of it.'
St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'If any one asks you for something that you believe would be injurious to him, refuse, but in such a manner as not to lose his good-will.' St. Ignatius of Loyola

'The beginning of evil is heedlessness.' St. Poemen

'What is it that renders death terrible? Sin. We must therefore fear sin, not death.'

'Cling to God, and leave all the rest to Him: He will not let you perish. Your soul is very dear to Him, He wishes to save it.' St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Let us pray God, if He gives us any virtue or any gift, to keep it hidden even from ourselves, that we may preserve our humility, and not take occasion of pride because of it.' St. Philip Neri

'He who seeks praise is involved in passion; he who laments afflictions is attached to sensual pleasure.' St. Mark the Ascetic

'O my Saviour, who am I, that Thou shouldst have so long awaited my repentance!'
St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Idleness is hell's fishhook for catching souls.' St. Ignatius of Loyola

'Until you have eradicated evil, do not obey your heart; for it will seek more of what it already contains within itself.' St. Mark the Ascetic

"Prayer is the lifting of our hearts and minds to God. For no matter what we're saying, we're asking, "Do you love me?"
And no matter how He answers, He's saying, "Yes, I do."
Old Jun 5, '11, 1:35 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Default Re: Saint Quotes

'Do not leave unobliterated any fault, however small, for it may lead you on to greater sins.'
St. Mark the Ascetic

'The love of God is a jealous love. One atom of irregular affection for creatures suffices to ruin everything.' St. Paul of the Cross

'To acquire and preserve the virtue of chastity, we have need of a good and experienced confessor.' St. Philip Neri

'You aspire to great things? Begin with little ones.' St. Augustine

'Where sin was hatched, let tears now wash the nest.' St. Robert Southwell

'He who conceals a grave sin in confession, is completely in the devil's hands.' St. Philip Neri

'I have no better way of knowing if a man is for God than if he likes to say the Hail Mary and the Rosary.' St. Louis Marie de Montfort

'If, during life, we have been kind to the suffering souls in purgatory, God will see that help be not denied us after death.' St. Paul of the Cross

'Wrong is wrong even if everybody is doing it, and right is right even if nobody is doing it.'
St. Augustine

'Such is the compassion, such the love which Mary bears us, that she is never tired of praying for us.' St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'Without prayer it is impossible to resist temptations and to keep the commandments.'

'At communion we ought to ask for the remedy of the vice to which we feel ourselves most inclined.' St. Philip Neri

'Accept afflictions with patience. Silently endure cold and heat, wind and rain, fatigue and all the other discomforts that God may deign to send you.' St. John Bosco

"Take care of your body as if you were going to live forever; and take care of your soul as if you were going to die tomorrow." ~ St. Augustine

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you" ~ The Eternal Father Jeremiah 1:5

"The fear of death keeps us from living, not from dying." ~ Paul C. Roud, novelist

"Remember when you leave this earth, you can take with you nothing that you have received ~ only what you have given: A heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice and courage." ~ St.Francis of Assisi

"Prayer is the lifting of our hearts and minds to God. For no matter what we're saying, we're asking, "Do you love me?" And no matter how He answers, He's saying, "Yes, I do." ~ Mother Angelica "Answers, Not Promises" pgs. 95, 96

"A nation which kills it's own young has no future." ~ Pope John Paul II

'In the spiritual life, he who does not advance goes backwards.' St. Padre Pio

'He who suffers in patience, surfers less and saves his soul. He who suffers impatiently, suffers more and loses his soul.' St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'Have death always before your eyes as a salutary means of returning to God.' St. Bernard of Clairvaux

'Enjoy yourself as much as you like - if only you keep from sin.' St. John Bosco

'I have never gone out to mingle with the world without losing something of myself.' St. Albert the Great

'The time has come: you must wake up now.' Romans 13:11

"Have you forgotten what you are." St.Severimus Boethius

"Believe that others are better than you in the debths of their soul, although outwardly you may appear better than they." -St. Augustine.

"Those who tell the Truth love you. Those who tell you what you want to hear love themselves." -Mother Angelica.

'What a weakness it is to love Jesus Christ only when He caresses us, and to be cold immediately once He afflicts us. This is not true love. Those who love thus, love themselves too much to love God with all their heart.' St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'If God causes you to suffer much, it is a sign that He has great designs for you, and that He certainly intends to make you a Saint.' St. Ignatius of Loyola

'I am the Lord, I change not.' Malachi 3:6

'Read good and useful books, and abstain from reading those that only gratify curiosity.'
St. Vincent de Paul

'Charity requires us always to have compassion on human infirmity.' St. Catherine of Siena

'Nothing created has ever been able to fill the heart of man. God alone can fill it infinitely.'
St. Thomas Aquinas

'No one should think or say anything of another which he would not wish thought or said of himself.' St. Teresa of Jesus

'Et regni eius non erit finis-"His kingdom will have no end." Doesn't it fill you with joy to work for a kingdom like that? ' St. Josemaria Escriva

'Being all members of the same body, with the same head, who is Christ, it is proper that we should have in common the same joys and sorrows.' Ven. Louis de Granada

'We should blush for shame to show so much resentment at what is done or said against us, knowing that so many injuries and affronts have been offered to our Redeemer and the saints.'
St. Teresa of Jesus

"Poor child! How imperfect you are! How much you need others to keep a constant guard over thee. Oh, how much patience I must have with thee." St. Gemma Galganni's Guardian Angel

'All souls in hell are there because they did not pray. All the saints sanctified themselves by prayer.' St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'Few souls understand what God would accomplish in them if they were to abandon themselves unreservedly to Him and if they were to allow His grace to mold them accordingly.'
St. Ignatius of Loyola

'Be gentle and kind with every one, and severe with yourself.' St. Teresa of Jesus

'The sufferings endured for God are the greatest proof of our love for Him.' St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'It is a fault, not a virtue, to wish your humility recognized and applauded.' St. Bernard of Clairvaux

'The past is no longer yours; the future is not yet in your power. You have only the present wherein to do good.' St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

"Prayer is the lifting of our hearts and minds to God. For no matter what we're saying, we're asking, "Do you love me?"
Old Jun 5, '11, 1:37 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

'In her voyage across the ocean of this world, the Church is like a great ship being pounded by the waves of life's different stresses. Our duty is not to abandon ship but to keep her on her course.' St. Boniface

"How can one be pleasing to God when one is inflated with pride and self-love under the pretense of striving for God's glory, while in fact one is seeking one's own glory?" Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska

"The rich man is not one who is in possession of much, but one who gives much." Saint John Chrysostom

"The devil doesn't fear austerity but holy obedience." Saint Francis de Sales

"At the end of our life, we shall all be judged by charity." St. John of the Cross

"It is better to be the child of God than king of the whole world." St. Aloysius Gonzaga

"If we wish to keep peace with our neighbor, we should never remind anyone of his natural defects." St. Philip Neri

"Whatever you do, think not of yourself, but of God." St. Vincent Ferrer

'Christ said, "I am the Truth"; he did not say "I am the custom." ' St. Toribio

"Love consumes us only in the measure of our self-surrender." St. Therese of Lisieux

"Charity unites us to God... There is nothing mean in charity, nothing arrogant. Charity knows no schism, does not rebel, does all things in concord. In charity all the elect of God have been made perfect." Pope St. Clement I

"To love God is something greater than to know Him." St. Thomas Aquinas

"Prayer reveals to souls the vanity of earthly goods and pleasures. It fills them with light, strength and consolation; and gives them a foretaste of the calm bliss of our heavenly home." St. Rose of Viterbo

"It is by the path of love, which is charity, that God draws near to man, and man to God. But where charity is not found, God cannot dwell. If, then, we possess charity, we possess God, for "God is Charity" (1John 4:8 )" St. Albert the Great

"Who except God can give you peace? Has the world ever been able to satisfy the heart?"
St. Gerard Majella

"We must pray without tiring, for the salvation of mankind does not depend on material success; nor on sciences that cloud the intellect. Neither does it depend on arms and human industries, but on Jesus alone." St. Frances Xavier Cabrini

"Nothing seems tiresome or painful when you are working for a Master who pays well; who rewards even a cup of cold water given for love of Him." St. Dominic Savio

"When you feel the assaults of passion and anger, then is the time to be silent as Jesus was silent in the midst of His ignominies and sufferings." St. Paul of the Cross

"My confidence is placed in God who does not need our help for accomplishing his designs. Our single endeavor should be to give ourselves to the work and to be faithful to him, and not to spoil his work by our shortcomings." St. Isaac Jogues

"The saints have always been the source and origin of renewal in the most difficult moments in the Church's history." Pope John Paul II

"You must ask God to give you power to fight against the sin of pride which is your greatest enemy - the root of all that is evil, and the failure of all that is good. For God resists the proud."
St. Vincent de Paul

"To be pleased at correction and reproofs shows that one loves the virtues which are contrary to those faults for which he is corrected and reproved. And, therefore, it is a great sign of advancement in perfection." St. Francis de Sales

"Virtues are formed by prayer. Prayer preserves temperance. Prayer suppresses anger. Prayer prevents emotions of pride and envy. Prayer draws into the soul the Holy Spirit, and raises man to Heaven." St. Ephraem

"You cannot please both God and the world at the same time, They are utterly opposed to each other in their thoughts, their desires, and their actions." St. John Vianney

"It is not the actual physical exertion that counts toward a man's progress, nor the nature of the task, but the spirit of faith with which it is undertaken." St. Francis Xavier

"Love God, serve God: everything is in that." St. Clare of Assisi

"Mary was raised to the dignity of Mother of God rather for sinners than for the just, since Jesus Christ declares that he came to call not the just, but sinners." St. Anselm

"The Holy Rosary is the storehouse of countless blessings." Blessed Alan de la Roche

The devil strains every nerve to secure the souls which belong to Christ. We should not grudge our toil in wresting them from Satan and giving them back to God." St. Sebastian

"God gave Himself to you: give yourself to God." Blessed Robert Southwell

"Those whose hearts are pure are temples of the Holy Spirit." St. Lucy

"When I am before the Blessed Sacrament I feel such a lively faith that I can't describe it. Christ in the Eucharist is almost tangible to me...When it is time for me to leave, I have to tear myself away from His sacred presence." St. Anthony of Claret

"The Blessed Eucharist is the perfect Sacrament of the Lord's Passion, since It contains Christ Himself and his Passion." St. Thomas Aquinas

"Go forth in peace, for you have followed the good road. Go forth without fear, for he who created you has made you holy, has always protected you, and loves you as a mother. Blessed be you, my God, for having created me." St. Clare of Assisi

"He alone loves the Creator perfectly who manifests a pure love for his neighbor." St. Bede the Venerable

"We always find that those who walked closest to Christ were those who had to bear the greatest trials." St. Teresa of Avila

Old Jun 5, '11, 1:38 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

'Even though a man may be unable to attain such a height of sanctity, he ought to desire it, so as to do at least in desire what he cannot carry out in effect.' St. Philip Neri

'Do nothing through human respect and, when it assails you, say: I shall do neither more nor less for the eyes of creatures. O my God, since I wish to please Thee alone, it suffices that Thou seest me everywhere.' St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'No one has a right to mercy who can not himself show mercy.' Ven. Louis de Granada

'Have recourse trustfully to God's loving kindness and He will not forsake you, for He longs to bestow His graces. Though you may have had the misfortune to offend Him, He is always ready to receive you, provided you return humbly to Him.' St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Pain and Love are almost synonymous words.' St. Lydwine of Schiedam

'Let your constant practice be to offer yourself to God, that He may do with you what He pleases.' St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'It is useless to subdue the flesh by abstinence, unless one gives up his irregular life, and abandons vices which defile his soul.' St. Benedict

'Our perfection consists in uniting our will so intimately with God's will, that we will only desire what He wills. He who conforms most perfectly to the will of God will be the most perfect Christian.'
St. Vincent de Paul

'God inclines to shower His graces upon us, but our perverted will is a barrier to His generosity.' St. Ignatius of Loyola

'Oh, what joy will it give to the blessed in heaven, and what pleasure to your guardian angel, to see you engaged in mental prayer! Never omit this holy exercise.' St. Paul of the Cross

'Take advantage of little sufferings even more than of great ones. God considers not so much what we suffer as how we suffer. . . Turn everything to profit as the grocer does in his shop.' St. Louis Marie de Montfort

"You have not lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."

"There is a loftier ambition than merely to stand high in the world. It is to stoop down and lift mankind a little higher."

"A bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives roses."

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."

"No person has ever been honored for what he received. Honor is our reward when we give."

"Whatever you spend is gone. What you keep, someone else gets. What you give is yours forever."

"We should give as we would receive, cheerfully, quickly, and without hesitation; for there is no grace in a benefit that sticks to the fingers."

"No one has ever become poor by giving."

'God inclines to shower His graces upon us, but our perverted will is a barrier to His generosity.' - St. Ignatius of Loyola

'To preserve our cheerfulness amid sicknesses and troubles, is a sign of a right and good spirit.' - St. Philip Neri

'It is easy to infuse a most fervent devotion into others, even in a short time; but the great matter is - to persevere.' - St. Philip Neri

'Let us remember the devil labors hard to disturb us at the time of recollection in order to make us abandon it. Let him then who omits mental prayer on account of distractions be persuaded that he gives delight to the devil.' - St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'When you have not the means of helping your neighbor, recommend him fervently to God, Whose sovereign dominion holds all creatures in His hand. Counsels gently given heal every wound, but given with asperity only serve to aggravate it tenfold.' - St. Paul of the Cross

'He who does not make his will agree with God is tripped up by his own schemes and falls into the hands of his enemies.' - St. Mark the Ascetic

'The best preparation for the divine banquet is to keep ourselves well purified, and to watch over our tongue, which is the first member that touches the sacred Host.' - St. Paul of the Cross

'Where sin was hatched, let tears now wash the nest.' - St. Robert Southwell

'Our Faith will never be true unless it is united to that of St. Peter and the Pontiff, his successors.' - St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'Either we must speak as we dress, or dress as we speak. Why do we profess one thing and display another? The tongue talks of chastity, but the whole body reveals impurity.' - St. Jerome

'Prayer is the best weapon we possess, the key that opens the heart of God.' - St. Padre Pio

Old Jun 5, '11, 1:38 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

'Sometimes I felt very lonely, depressed and ill. I'd often repeat to myself a line of poetry which brought peace and strength back into my soul; it runs, "Time's but a ship that bears thee, not thy home." That image appeals to me and helps me to bear this life of exile.' - St. Therese of Lisieux

'Just as suffering and dishonor usually give birth to virtues, so pleasure and self-esteem usually give birth to vices.' - St. Mark the Ascetic

'We must often remember what Christ said, that not he who begins, but he that perseveres to the end, shall be saved.' - St. Philip Neri

'Be comforted with this divine thought that your spiritual and physical pains are the test of the Divine Will.' - St. Padre Pio

'Every vice leads in the end to forbidden pleasure; and every virtue to spiritual blessing. Each arouses what is akin to it.' - St. Mark the Ascetic

'Wealth, unless it be devoted to good works, will become to its possessor only a source of endless torment in hell.' - St. Paul of the Cross

'To conquer himself is the greatest victory that man can gain.' - St. Ignatius of Loyola

'If the criminal will not keep his gains for ever and his victim will not always suffer want, "surely man passes like a shadow and troubles himself in vain" (Ps. 39:6. LXX).' - St. Mark the Ascetic

'Watch over me, Father, so that everything I do may be with the intention of pleasing Jesus.' -
St. Bernadette Soubirous

'Happy the soul that is detached from self-satisfaction, from her own will, from her own sentiments!' - St. Paul of the Cross

'He who knows what God is, studies to avoid sin.' - St. Benedict Joseph Labre

'For pity's sake, don't start meeting troubles halfway.' - St. Teresa of Jesus

'He will take good care to provide what is necessary for our sanctification, provided we are careful to accept everything according to His designs.' - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'He who neglects action and depends on theoretical knowledge holds a staff of reed instead of a double-edged sword; and when he confronts his enemies in time of war, "it will go into his hand, and pierce it" (2 Kgs. 18:21), injecting its natural poison.' - St. Mark the Ascetic

'When you want to resolve a complex problem, seek God's will in the matter, and you will find a constructive solution.' - St. Mark the Ascetic

'A man wanted to do evil, but first prayed as usual; and finding himself prevented by God, he was then extremely thankful.' - St. Mark the Ascetic

'If you have too much to do, with God's help you will find time to do it all.' - St. Peter Canisius

'If the salvation of one soul is of such importance that we should endanger our temporal life in order to procure it, how could we abandon so great a number through fear of incurring some expense?' - St. Vincent de Paul

'Admire the goodness of the Creator, who causes the one to suffer in order to free the other.' -
St. Lydwine of Schiedam

'He who is unable to spend a long time together in prayer, should often lift up his mind to God by short prayers.' - St. Philip Neri

'If a monk can overcome two things, he can become free from the world. Bodily ease and vain-glory.' - St. Poemen

'The person advancing in the spiritual life studies three things: the commandments, doctrine, and faith in the Holy Trinity.' - St. Thalassios the Libyan

'God does not forsake you. It is because he wishes to increase your glory that oftentimes he permits you to fall sick. Keep up your courage so that you may also hear him say: "Do you think I have dealt with you otherwise than that you may be shown to be just?"' - St. John Chrysostom

'One or two loving words may cause the soul to become enraptured, languishing, fainting of love and sorrow.' - St. Paul of the Cross

'Blessed the one who continually humbles himself willingly; he will be crowned by the One who willingly humbled himself for our sake.' - St. Ephrem of Syria

'One man received a thought and accepted it without examination. Another received a thought and tested its truth. Which of them acted with greater reverence?' - St. Mark the Ascetic

'It is attachment to creatures and to self-satisfaction that weakens the blessings of love in your heart. You must die to all that, if you wish the pure love of God to reign therein.' - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Why must we suffer? Because here below pure Love cannot exist without suffering. O Jesus, Jesus, I no longer feel my cross when I think of yours.' - St. Bernadette Soubirous

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter Fan Group (FSSP)