Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 13, '11, 6:44 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Funny incidents while discerning a vocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloriousOrder View Post
My dear friend (a friar) randomly started telling me that he is sure I'm called to the consecrated life alongside him. He told me that if I'm aiming for priesthood, he'll have to become a bishop. I countered that I'd have to become a cardinal if he was a bishop. Naturally, he said that he'd have to be pope in that case. At this point, I made the sign of the cross and said the end will be soon. A few minutes after this, a dear old married couple in their eighties asked me when I'm entering seminary...

When I was ushering priests and deacons into the cathedral for the traditional bishop's supper before the Chrism Mass, several clerical gentlemen asked me when I'm being ordained. They won't give up!

That's the Lord saying "take a hint" , my Parish Priest had already spoke to the diocesan vocations director about me, before I told him i was discerning, once I had told him, the vocations director was ringing me the day after, to schedule a meeting, after a retreat, I had him telling me, that he'ld advise me to enter seminary this year, but there a small Canon Law requirement that has to be dealt with first (something like you have to be Catholic for a minimum amount of time before they admit you, no idea where in Canon Law it is).
Old Jun 13, '11, 7:37 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

Last year, the bishop told me that you must be a Catholic (baptised, confirmed) for 2 years before entering discernment for the priesthood. Just a few weeks ago, he said it's 3 years. I do wish he'd make up his mind.
Old Jun 13, '11, 7:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloriousOrder View Post
Last year, the bishop told me that you must be a Catholic (baptised, confirmed) for 2 years before entering discernment for the priesthood. Just a few weeks ago, he said it's 3 years. I do wish he'd make up his mind.
That's what I've heard both the 2 and 3 year, well, I've not long ago had my 1 year anniversary of being Catholic formally (since I was received), so a year or so ago before I'll be admitted lol, well I've most got my eye on the SSPX as an order I admire them, however I wont think about them any more unless they return to communion with Rome.
Old Jun 13, '11, 8:46 am
Banned

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic92 View Post
That's what I've heard both the 2 and 3 year, well, I've not long ago had my 1 year anniversary of being Catholic formally (since I was received), so a year or so ago before I'll be admitted lol, well I've most got my eye on the SSPX as an order I admire them, however I wont think about them any more unless they return to communion with Rome.
Hehehe, the SSPX probably require you to be a Catholic for 15 years before entering the seminary!
Old Jun 13, '11, 11:28 am

I was on YouTube last night looking at vocation videos, and on the "Related Videos" side of the video I was watching, the first thing that caught my eye was the title of a video called "I'm calling you." Kind of gave me chills.
Old Jun 17, '11, 3:19 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian

Well, I don't know if these are funny so much.

As a young adult my best friend always called me Saint Nicky. He wasn't the only one, people would spontaneously refer to me as such, most of the time lovingly, sometimes teasingly but it always fit (in comparison to the crowd I hung out with I WAS a saint! Haha!).

Recently I've really been trying to figure out where I'm supposed to go. I found my home and now I'm eager to get on the right path. Anyway, when I first started seeking guidance from our Lord on this issue, a coworker randomly said to me; "You're going to be a nun, right?" I hadn't mentioned anything to her about discerning, and in fact everyone at work knows me as the 'flirt'. So it was really out of the blue and strange. It made me laugh too because where on earth did that come from?!

The last time I saw this co worker she AGAIN asked me about it. I haven't answered her either way because I don't know but it's certainly stuck in HER head.

Yeah, not so funny but those are my stories!
Old Jun 17, '11, 3:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickybr38 View Post
Well, I don't know if these are funny so much.

As a young adult my best friend always called me Saint Nicky. He wasn't the only one, people would spontaneously refer to me as such, most of the time lovingly, sometimes teasingly but it always fit (in comparison to the crowd I hung out with I WAS a saint! Haha!).

Recently I've really been trying to figure out where I'm supposed to go. I found my home and now I'm eager to get on the right path. Anyway, when I first started seeking guidance from our Lord on this issue, a coworker randomly said to me; "You're going to be a nun, right?" I hadn't mentioned anything to her about discerning, and in fact everyone at work knows me as the 'flirt'. So it was really out of the blue and strange. It made me laugh too because where on earth did that come from?!

The last time I saw this co worker she AGAIN asked me about it. I haven't answered her either way because I don't know but it's certainly stuck in HER head.

Yeah, not so funny but those are my stories!
God's persistent!
Old Jun 17, '11, 3:32 pm

Talking Re: Funny incidents while discerning a vocation

the day after i started to think hey preisthood may be for me, i went to mass with the bishop (i do multiple times a month) and i went to talk to him after mass like I usually do and he said have you ever thought about being a priest or religious.

There were also incidents where I would see cars like the car of my associate pastor at my youth group.

Another funny one not to long ago, I went to mass in the morning like i did every week, and a guy who i didn't know never met, said hey have you thought about being a priest, and I was like actually yes .

I'm actually applying to enter seminary next semester. I think God made this call clear to me.

Let me recognize You as Your disciples did so that the Eucharistic Communion be the light which disperses the darkness, the force which sustains me, the unique joy of my heart. Padre Pio

Seminarian Studying for the Priesthood of Jesus Christ
Old Jun 17, '11, 3:36 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicZ09 View Post
God's persistent!
When He wants us, He wants us.
Old Jun 17, '11, 3:38 pm

I noticed that God kind of doesn't like to be subtle with me. He's pretty obvious in what he wants me to know. Kind of like the time that I was serving for a Mass with the bishop, and he said, "This parish hasn't had any vocations in a long time." I was standing there with my head down, and the priest next to me pulled me and started screaming, "THIS ONE! THIS ONE!" Haha.
Old Jun 17, '11, 3:40 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicZ09 View Post
I noticed that God kind of doesn't like to be subtle with me. He's pretty obvious in what he wants me to know. Kind of like the time that I was serving for a Mass with the bishop, and he said, "This parish hasn't had any vocations in a long time." I was standing there with my head down, and the priest next to me pulled me and started screaming, "THIS ONE! THIS ONE!" Haha.
That's brilliant! HAHA.
Old Jun 17, '11, 3:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickybr38 View Post
That's brilliant! HAHA.
It was scary because I never even told this priest before. How'd he know? I just attributed it to God saying, "If I need to keep sending signs, I'm seriously gonna come down there and beat you, but then again, you'd probably still not believe it."
Old Jun 18, '11, 12:33 am
Prayer Warrior

Lightbulb Re: Funny incidents while discerning a vocation

Well I made a thread a couple of months ago depicting how I was interested in the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest even though I had already been accepted to the Old College undergraduate seminary operated by the Congregation of Holy Cross

So I visit St. Margaret Mary's Church (where an ICRSS priest resides) and after Mass, I get interviewed by Canon Moreau of ICRSS. As we walk into his office, I look to the wall and see a familiar image. It was a framed portrait of Blessed Basil Moreau, the founder of the Congregation of Holy Cross! I quickly said to Canon Moreau, "Hey, isn't that Blessed Basil Moreau?" And he replied, "Yes it is" and gave me a sneaky smile, "We share the same last name." The canon made it seem as though he was related to the CSC founder! Looking back, it was as if Blessed Basil Moreau wasn't too happy that I was checking out another group of priests and brothers...

After that visit, I started praying about my vocation. While I was reading a book on our Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI, I tried searching for a bookmark. All of a sudden, I find a bookmark that was sent to me by the Congregation of Holy Cross and I felt reassured haha. Needless to say I accepted my admission to Old College and I am now looking forward to being a CSC seminarian
Old Jun 18, '11, 8:00 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

These are all fabulous!

For myself, I have felt called to religious life since I was 12. Now as a recent convert to the faith, the feeling, desire, the call has just amplified.
Anyways, I only told my family about my possible vocation several months into RCIA. They still aren't pleased, and bring up snide comments occasionally.

Anyways, just yesterday, my mother was berating me about religious life while in the car. I tried to bare it, and asked God to give me strength. When we got home, I went on the computer, and to read about some articles on religious life.

The page with all the articles came up. Listed very nicely. I was about ready to scroll through them when the page changed. I hadn't clicked anything. The article that mysteriously came up?
"How to tell your parents about your vocation."

In Christ through Mary,
Nevermore

Old Jun 18, '11, 8:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore22 View Post
"How to tell your parents about your vocation."

In Christ through Mary,
Nevermore
Haha. I just love God's humor!