Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jul 8, '11, 8:29 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: CATHOLIC
Default Re: Saints who chose wrong vocation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforgoal View Post
QUOTE=JReducation;8036008]OK folks, letís stop speculating and go back to college, Phil 101.

Proposition 1: A vocation is a call

Proposition 2: God calls man to holiness

Conclusion: Therefore, if one responds to Godís call, one will achieve holiness.

Proposition 3: If one responds to Godís call, one will achieve holiness

Proposition 4: Saints have achieved great holiness

Conclusion: Therefore, saints responded to Godís call.

Question: Is it possible for a saint to respond to the wrong call?

Answer: No. Otherwise, they wouldnít have achieved holiness.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF
Quote:
Wise and truthful words.

I know I mentioned the following Sr. Francoise Therese (Leonie Martin--St. Therese's sister), Blessed Margaret of Castello, and Blessed Bartolo Longo they did not necessarily choose the wrong vocations but like you stated a vocation is a call from God to acheive holiness.

However, what if one has the call to become enter the Priesthood or Religious life but one cannot because of age or health problems.

How does one acheive holiness then?

(I'm not speaking for myself but for the many people)

As for myself, I often wonder am ignoring God's call? I feel <--(but then again feelings come and go) I believe that Our Lord is calling me to be a Discalced Carmelite Nun.

It's been 3 years since I went there, the last letter I wrote to them was in December, and the third or fourth week of June I called them <---The Carmelite Sister that answered
the phone is from a different country so it was difficult for me to understand her, she also was talking very quiet (I noticed this with the other Carmelite Sisters there they have a peaceful and quiet way of communicating) so I could barely hear her.

She also seemed liked she was in hurry or didn't want to talk

Which confuses me because it does state on their website to contact/phone them.

Therefore, I didn't really get to explain that I would like to return if it's God's Holy will and mercy.

Now, I'm not saying it's Sister's fault it could be that she had things to do and Rev. Mother is gravely ill so perhaps she (along with the other Sisters are taking care of her)

I'm not much of a phone person so I'm thinking of writing another letter.

It could be our old cordless phones as well.

Okay, lets get to the point it's been 3 years since going to Carmelite, this past December I wrote them a letter (no response), and last month I called them. So,

a) Am I ignoring God by not living a life of Carmelite?

b) Am I wasting my time by being here?

c) Am I waiting patiently?

I know I mentioned on several CAF posts and threads the Discalced Carmelite Nuns in Armstrong, B.C., Canada but I have been seriously considering contacting another group of Discacled Carmelite Nuns.

I know a lot of people recommend sticking to one order not shopping around. I am sticking with the same order just not the same location.

d) Should I stick with the same Carmelites? or Contact a different one?

I only want to do what is pleasing to the Lord.
To answer your first question, if a person feels called to a particular way of life and he cannot do it, because of health or other circumstances out of his control,, then he is not called. God is a merciful God. He does not tease us. Therefore, he will never call us where we cannot go. It is common for us to have a crush on a way of life, just as we often have crush on a boy or girl.

Moving along to your case, it sounds as if you've done everything you can to communicate with this particular Carmel. Once again, if you have done what you can and nothing has come of it, then this is not the place for you. It may be another Carmel or another way of life. Unless you try, you won't know. If you're still drawn to Carmel, try another. Remember Therese. It was not easy for her to enter Carmel. She prayed and she asked the Church. To everyone's surprise, the regulations were dispensed and she was allowed to enter. There have been other holy men and women who never entered religious life, such as Therese's parents. However, they became Secular Franciscans and followed Francis' very closely. Now they are Blesseds.

I will pray for you and ask that you pray for me.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF

Brother JR, FFV

"Forget not love."

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations