It has come to our attention that banned members, particularly those who have been on CAF for a long time and established personal contact with fellow members, sometimes will discuss their banning by email with those members who have become their personal friends.
The CAF mod/admin staff certainly respects the private communication between individuals as their personal business. Occasionally though, the banned member either asks the friend who remains a member in good standing to intercede with the CAF mod/admin staff on his behalf, or the friend feels sorry for the banned member's distress and approaches the CAF mod/admin staff on his or her own. When that happens, it puts CAF in a delicate position because, out of respect for the privacy of individuals, we cannot discuss a banned member's case with third parties. For this reason, we ask members not to approach the CAF mod/admin staff to intercede for a banned member. Instead, if you feel that the case needs to be reassessed, encourage the banned member to write to the Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org
We do ask that you keep the following in mind if you are the recipient of emails from someone discussing his or her suspension/ban from CAF with you:
- You are only hearing this person's side of the story.
- Very often in cases like this, the person does not acknowledge any personal fault and will present himself or herself as an innocent victim.
- CAF does not suspend or ban members without reason.
- Here are some of the reasons why CAF members can be suspended or banned.
- We remain open to reassessing matters on a case-by-case basis, but only if the banned member himself follows procedure by writing to the Administrator at email@example.com.
- That said, it is occasionally the case that it is not the original offense that is the reason a banned member cannot be reinstated but his subsequent abusive interactions with the mod/admin staff. This is because we must be able to trust that members will cooperate with the mod/admin staff as a condition of membership privileges.
- One reason we chose to speak publicly on this matter is because occasionally members will not cease pleading for a suspended/banned member even after it has been explained that we cannot discuss the matter with him or her. If a member refuses to cooperate with direction in this matter, it can lead to the suspension or ban of that person's membership privileges (as does any refusal to cooperate with mod/admin direction).
We hope this information is helpful. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.