Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Starbase Alpha

Starbase Alpha Click here to visit this social group

Old May 29, '10, 3:57 am

Religion: Catholic
Default What is your Favorite...?

This is an intro thread to help get things going. What is your favorite part of Sci-Fi/ fantasy (books, tv, comics, RPGS, etc.). Also, what is your favorite work?

Before you profess peace with your lips, make sure it is more fully in your heart. -St. Francis of Assisi

My Bible quotes are from RSV (2ed) unless noted otherwise.

Sci-fi or fantasy fan? Come join Starbase Alpha.
Old Jun 8, '10, 7:07 pm

Cool Re: What is your Favorite...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkow82 View Post
This is an intro thread to help get things going. What is your favorite part of Sci-Fi/ fantasy (books, tv, comics, RPGS, etc.). Also, what is your favorite work?
Numbered by preference with favorite(s) listed after a hyphen:
1. Books - impossible choice, Dune is up there.
2. RPG's - I've played ADND, Robotech, my own and Star Wars, but not sure I can choose.
3. Comics - Vagabond by Takehiko Inoue
4. PC Games - Nomad or Wing Commander 2
5. Console Games - haven't played many, top two are likely Justice League Heroes and Champions of Norrath
6. TV Shows - Firefly
7. Movies - Delicatessen

Yours?
Old Jun 9, '10, 12:02 am

Default Re: What is your Favorite...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcajou View Post
Numbered by preference with favorite(s) listed after a hyphen:
1. Books - impossible choice, Dune is up there.
I grew up on The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Dune was a bit of a later addition for me. However, the first book is a fantastic story.

Quote:
2. RPG's - I've played ADND, Robotech, my own and Star Wars, but not sure I can choose.
I started off on AD&D and switched over to Rolemaster. I really like RM's balanced feel. I don't know much about the later editions (past the second ed. of AD&D so I can't really express an opinion on that.

Quote:
Comics - Vagabond by Takehiko Inoue
When I was growing up, I would read my older brother's manga (mainly Area 88 and Ninja Highschool). For more recent comics, I've read Mystique, then more independents like Tombraider

Quote:
PC Games - Nomad or Wing Commander 2
Never really got into this.

Quote:
Console Games - haven't played many, top two are likely Justice League Heroes and Champions of Norrath
I never got into this either.

Quote:
TV Shows - Firefly
Firefly was one of the best shows that was not permitted to continue. I am also a big Babylon 5 fan. Earth: Final Conflict (the first season). I watched the later stuff, but it got really dumb. I also really loved Farscape.

Quote:
Movies - Delicatessen
I liked Matrix, 2010: Odyssey Two, Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe

Before you profess peace with your lips, make sure it is more fully in your heart. -St. Francis of Assisi

Old Jun 9, '10, 3:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkow82 View Post
Does Harry Potter count? Liked the books more than the movies, but still looking forward to the movies left... now I am rambling.
Yes, Harry Potter does count as fantasy. I've seen more movies then books read for this one, but on the whole I rather enjoyed HP.

Last edited by sulkow82; Jun 15, '10 at 12:15 am.
Old Jun 17, '10, 6:38 pm

Religion: Catholic since Easter 2009!

1. Books: I grew up on Star Trek books (that's actually where I got to know the original crew before watching the shows), though I couldn't pick a favorite, and C.S.Lewis' Narnian books.

2. RPGs: I've only just begun to play D&D because my wife enjoyed it growing up and we play very occasionally with friends. I have difficulty knowing how to actually role-play with D&D because the environment - with its many races that I'm not familiar with - is so foreign. I've also recently gotten Decipher's Star Trek RPG books, which look like tons of fun (and I expect to be much more comfortable with roleplaying in the Star Trek universe), but we haven't had a chance to try it yet. For the past 3 years, though, I've been very active with an online, play-by-email Star trek RPG called UFoP: Starbase 118, so I suppose that would have to be my favorite RPG.

3. Comics: I read Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics a ton as a kid, so those would have to be my favorites, but I haven't read any comics in... well, a decade or so.

4. PC Games: I've played tons of PC games over the years, but I think my favorite would have to be Starfleet Command 3.

5. Console Games: I love LEGO: Batman, LEGO: Indiana Jones, and LEGO: Star Wars. (I wish they'd do LEGO: Star Trek...)

6. TV Shows: Star Trek: The Next Generation, Firefly, Dollhouse, Farscape, and Stargate: SG1 (not necessarily in that order).

7. Movies: Star Trek (XI), Star Trek: Nemesis, and then all the other Star Trek movies...

Perhaps you've noticed a theme? It may not be evident from my answers, but I also have a definite affinity for castles and knighthood, etc.

Tiberius1701, the Catholic Trekkie
Old Jun 23, '10, 2:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius1701 View Post
1. Books: I grew up on Star Trek books (that's actually where I got to know the original crew before watching the shows), though I couldn't pick a favorite, and C.S.Lewis' Narnian books.[/QUOTE}

The Narnia books are fun. First time I read Narnia, was in a grade-school reader book under the title "Lucy and the Wardrobe." Fell in love with it ever since.

[QUOTE}RPGs: I've only just begun to play D&D because my wife enjoyed it growing up and we play very occasionally with friends. I have difficulty knowing how to actually role-play with D&D because the environment - with its many races that I'm not familiar with - is so foreign.
IN some respects Narnia would help a little in getting used to the races. The real modern basis for them is Tolkien. If you would be interested in reading other fantasy books, then I would suggest the "Dragonlance" series.

Quote:
I've also recently gotten Decipher's Star Trek RPG books, which look like tons of fun (and I expect to be much more comfortable with roleplaying in the Star Trek universe),
If it turns out that you just can't get into the fantasy setting at all, then Star Trek is also a cool setting for RPGs. The core rule here is that it's meant to be fun for you. Play a setting and character that you feel comfortable with.

Quote:
TV Shows: Star Trek: The Next Generation, Firefly, Dollhouse, Farscape, and Stargate: SG1 (not necessarily in that order).
I haven't seen dollhouse. The rest of those shows are really cool. I watched Farscape from the beginning. I was so happy to see Farscape turn the SciFi channel from a preservationist channel for "Six-Million Dollar Man" to a driving participation in the Sci-Fi community all its own. (Though, I still rather enjoyed $6M Man).

Perhaps you've noticed a theme? It may not be evident from my answers, but I also have a definite affinity for castles and knighthood, etc.[/quote]

Hey, it's cool to have some direction. One thing about Castles and knights (in regards to FRP, FRP is flexible enough to handle that. Someone might decide to run a FRP game set in mid-evil Europe (with knights, etc.) The problem is finding one. Of, course, you could develop your own campaign doing this, but you would have to get used to being a player first.

sulkow82

Old Jul 10, '11, 2:06 pm

Religion: Anglican

1. Books - I have everything from Asimov to Zelazny. Lots of Ellison, Dick, LeGuin, Moorcock. Got Silverberg, Sturgeon, you name it. My faves? Hard to say.

2. RPG's - Played D'n'D, Robotech, Vampire, Fuzzy Heroes, Call of Cthulhu... nothing since the mid-'90s

3. Comics - anything by Alan Moore
4. PC Games - nothing
5. Console Games - any Lego games, Castlevania, Mario
6. TV Shows - Firefly, Blakes's 7, Dr Who, Quatermass, mostly British stuff
7. Movies - Silent Running, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Blade Runner, Moon, District 9, Brazil, EXistenZ, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (both), The Day the Earth Stood Still,
Old Jul 17, '11, 1:47 pm

Have you seen any of "Sanctuary." I think that is a cool show.

Babylon 5 is going into the category of a "new classic." I personally think it raised the bar for SciFi.

Bumbers about Firefly. That show could have gone into some really interesting studies on morality, etc.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Starbase Alpha