Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 19, '11, 6:02 pm

Religion: Catholic- Ordinariate of the Chair of St. Peter
Default Rick Santorum

Is anyone else bummed out that Santorum appears to have already lost his campaign for presidency? Who are people on this forum thinking about casting a vote for? I am curious to hear people's opinions as to who might be the best candidate? It seems like it will be down to Bachmann vs. Perry, but I could be underestimating Romney's popularity.
Old Aug 19, '11, 6:22 pm

Religion: Unlisted
Default Re: Rick Santorum

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/20..._santorum.html
I don't know if this will suffice as a new link, but it is the closest I could find for the topic at hand.
Old Aug 19, '11, 6:35 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic In Faith Only
Send a message via AIM to Scott_Lafrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by codefro View Post
Is anyone else bummed out that Santorum appears to have already lost his campaign for presidency? Who are people on this forum thinking about casting a vote for? I am curious to hear people's opinions as to who might be the best candidate? It seems like it will be down to Bachmann vs. Perry, but I could be underestimating Romney's popularity.
Nope. I like the guy, he seems genuine and personable. Just not interested in him as President.
Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old Aug 19, '11, 7:56 pm

Religion: Catholic

I would vote for him, but the election is still a looong way off. These people declared they were running much too soon and now are running out of steam. A lot of good canidates are going to drop out before they really get started on the national stage.
Old Aug 20, '11, 5:15 pm

I am not surprised in the least that Santorum has failed to gain any momentum. In fact, I was quite surprised that someone who lost his Senate seat by 17 points in his last election actually thought he had a legitimate chance in the first place.
Old Aug 20, '11, 5:26 pm

Religion: old-fashioned Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher68 View Post
I am not surprised in the least that Santorum has failed to gain any momentum. In fact, I was quite surprised that someone who lost his Senate seat by 17 points in his last election actually thought he had a legitimate chance in the first place.
That was 5 years ago! And Benjamin Harrison was elected President 2 years after he lost his own seat in the Senate, and it was not exactly as if Harrison was Mr. Charismatic Leadership.
Old Aug 20, '11, 5:26 pm
Banned

Post Re: Rick Santorum

Quote:
I'll probably be voting Libertarian as I have always done
Old Aug 20, '11, 6:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Thinker View Post
That was 5 years ago! And Benjamin Harrison was elected President 2 years after he lost his own seat in the Senate, and it was not exactly as if Harrison was Mr. Charismatic Leadership.
Yes, and Santorum hasn't done anything to enhance his stature since his crushing defeat.

The fact that you referenced Benjamin Harrison, who died over 100+ years ago, shows just how steep the odds are stacked against Santorum.

Santorum is exactly where I thought he would be at this stage - i.e. no chance to win.
Old Aug 20, '11, 7:55 pm

Quote:
Yes, and Santorum hasn't done anything to enhance his stature since his crushing defeat.

The fact that you referenced Benjamin Harrison, who died over 100+ years ago, shows just how steep the odds are stacked against Santorum.

Santorum is exactly where I thought he would be at this stage - i.e. no chance to win.
That doesn't mean though I won't do everything I can to support him, even if it means he won't win in the end, just because I believe in him more than I do any of the other people running. I'd rather support a loser I respect than someone that could win that I cannot find anything admirable.
Old Aug 20, '11, 10:43 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Santorum's debate on the Senate floor against Barbara Boxer was epic. He exposed the pro-choice position for what it is: pro-abortion. He reduced Boxer to babbling, "I will not answer". I would vote for him if he won the nomination, but I think in light of political reality, he isn't going to get the nomination. Incidentally, he came in 4th in the Iowa straw poll - behind Bachmann, Paul, and Pawlenty - and apparently did better than expected. Whether that will translate into momentum remains to be seen. I have heard that Paul Ryan might get into the race. He is another great pro-life catholic who is very strong on the budget issues: would make mincemeat out of Obama in a debate on the budget. Would like to see either Ryan or Marco Rubio as vice president pick on a Romney or Perry ticket - or whoever gets the nomination.

Ishii
Old Aug 20, '11, 11:10 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: ROMAN CATHOLIC

Yes, I am bummed.

I would like, as PatriceA mentions, to support him still - wonder if I should write him in? I'd feel a lot more integrity voting that way.

But given the way things are, I'll probably have to vote in an attempt to choose the lesser of two evils.

It hardly matters when one lives in a state that is never a "swing vote" type of state.
Old Aug 20, '11, 11:32 pm

Quote:
No, I'm not bummed.

I won't vote for a Mormon, so Romney is out.

Though I merely dislike Perry, I loathe Bachmann.

Gingrich is bright, but I'm not sure he has the necessary temperament.

I will give my money to Ron Paul, and he'll get my vote. I'd campaign for him if I wasn't a federal employee.

If Romney or Bachmann or Perry get the nomination, I will abstain from voting in the general election.

Pax,
OA
Old Aug 21, '11, 9:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriceA View Post
That doesn't mean though I won't do everything I can to support him, even if it means he won't win in the end, just because I believe in him more than I do any of the other people running. I'd rather support a loser I respect than someone that could win that I cannot find anything admirable.
That is the criteria I use as well when evaluating political candidates. I don't care if a particular candidate has been annointed a front runner or not. I often vote for third party candidates, even though I know they will not win.

With regard to Santorum, I was responding to the OP's question, and I stated my belief that I was not in any way surprised that he has failed to gain any traction.
Old Aug 21, '11, 9:51 am

Quote:
That is the criteria I use as well when evaluating political candidates. I don't care if a particular candidate has been annointed a front runner or not. I often vote for third party candidates, even though I know they will not win.

With regard to Santorum, I was responding to the OP's question, and I stated my belief that I was not in any way surprised that he has failed to gain any traction.
I'm not surprised either, but I don't think it was anything to do with him losing his Senate seat, but more that he just doesn't have the cash like the other candidates.
Old Aug 21, '11, 10:37 am
Book Club Member

Religion: ROMAN CATHOLIC

I wish we had a party that was for the poor and social justice, but also pro-life and pro-family, and that Rick Santorum was its candidate! IMO, the two parties we have now are such muddled messes of ideologies that contradict each other.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News