Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Franciscan Spirituality

Franciscan Spirituality Click here to visit this social group

Old Aug 18, '11, 8:49 am

Religion: I think I want to become Catholic...
Question Franciscan hermits

Pax et bonum!
I really think Franciscan hermits are cool but who are they?
Old Aug 22, '11, 6:44 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic, OFS
Default Re: Franciscan hermits

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrikhank View Post
Pax et bonum!
I really think Franciscan hermits are cool but who are they?
Please clarify your question. In general Franciscan hermits are usually associated with a hermitage, friary or some other "facility" of some type. They usually live out most of their day in their own cell (room) praying, working, eating, etc. Depending on the community they probably get together once or more a day for Mass, praying the Liturgy of the Hours or some other communal prayer time, then return to their cell.

Did you want any more information?
where there is error, truth;
where there is doubt, faith ...
Old Aug 23, '11, 10:39 am

Religion: I think I want to become Catholic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Please clarify your question. In general Franciscan hermits are usually associated with a hermitage, friary or some other "facility" of some type. They usually live out most of their day in their own cell (room) praying, working, eating, etc. Depending on the community they probably get together once or more a day for Mass, praying the Liturgy of the Hours or some other communal prayer time, then return to their cell.

Did you want any more information?
i wanted to know how they live and how they differ from other franciscans?
Old Aug 24, '11, 9:19 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic, OFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrikhank View Post
i wanted to know how they live and how they differ from other franciscans?
How they live varies person to person, friary to friary. From what I understand if a Franciscan wants to become a hermit they discuss this with their minister. The details of what it involves is worked out between them. One of the keys to Franciscan spirituality is the idea of community so having someone totally separate themselves from the community is not common. Usually their is some type of community time associated with a hermit, whether it be just once a day for Mass, several times a day for Liturgy of the Hours, etc. would vary person to person.

Whether the person lives in a cell within the friary or a different building on the grounds, etc. would vary person to person, hermitage by hermitage, etc. Whether the person works inside their cell, outside in the garden, etc. would also vary.

How a hermit would differ from a "typical" Franciscan, is that a typical Franciscan is usually called to service in the community in some way. Usually both the community of their fraternity and the general public. A typical Franciscan would have some type of ministry involving the outside world as opposed to other orders like the Benedictines where the service usually only is done within the walls of the monastery. A hermit would probably not be servicing the outside community directly but may be helping out indirectly (i.e. prayer, making items, etc.) Also interaction among other Franciscan friars is pretty common, so a hermit wouldn't be doing that. It is not common for Franciscans to live the stereotypical view of monks that most people see that involves living in quiet with no forms of interaction among the monks. Friars tend to be more social in their interaction among themselves. Like I said this all varies community to community. A hermit would be giving up on that for whatever time it was decided they would be a hermit.

Does that clarify things a little?
where there is error, truth;
where there is doubt, faith ...

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Franciscan Spirituality