Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Catholic Catechism Study Group

Catholic Catechism Study Group Click here to visit this social group

Old Aug 13, '11, 10:14 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Paragraph 5 of the CCC - Prologue Subsection 2

@ enright1;
i agree. well said.
Old Aug 14, '11, 12:49 am

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enright1 View Post
"Catechesis is an education in the faith of children, young people, and adults which includes especially the teaching of Christian doctrine imparted, generally speaking, in an organic and systematic way with a view to initiating the hearers into the fullness of Christian life."

This tells me that this is a growth process that is ongoing for all ages and all stages, never ending. We never 'graduate' from learning our faith or finish growing into the person we are called to be in Christ.
Organic to me can mean that it is an actual growth within our soul that allows us to understand and become fully alive. It is very exciting.

This is not a one time effort, as there is always more to learn about ourselves, our faith, God's love, and our responsibilities to others as we try to live our faith. However, the word 'initiating' could give one that perspective.
Excellent insights enright- I certainly feel I'm a never ending work in progress! And isn't it interesting how the word "organic" seemed to leap out from the passage for all of us; I do think it's there for that very purpose, to emphasize how catechism should be easy, not forced, and organic and intuitive, not rote mechanical learning, like memorizing and reciting the Nicene Creed without really thinking about it!
Old Aug 18, '11, 6:52 am
Observing Member

I was able to teach my boys' religious ed classes so I followed them through from 1st grade to confirmation. Like school, curriculum in many ways it seems I remember touching on the same "doctrines" each year, especially in the early years but with additional depth added as they got older and could comprehend more. Our basis doesn't really change but the depth to which we can understand it definitely does. We can't handle all of it at once and perhaps not in our human life time. But revisiting with fresh insight on a regular basis helps us grow. Just as some will say ~ class is boring, mass is boring ~ because its the same thing over and over. When we act on the urging of the Holy Spirit to see each experience with fresh eyes and apply ourselves new depth comes. Hopefully the consolation we receive encourages us to continue. Blessed are those who continue long after the consolation ends right? I do believe catechesis is life long. Not all understand that or resist it. We can encourage others along the way especially when questions come at the urging of the Holy Spirit.

Do others here attend bible study or adult faith gatherings of some sort? Is it just that we are too big (too many people to accomodate) as a Catholic Faith community that we don't have weekly Sunday school as I understand many protestants have?
Old Aug 19, '11, 6:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoley View Post
Do others here attend bible study or adult faith gatherings of some sort? Is it just that we are too big (too many people to accomodate) as a Catholic Faith community that we don't have weekly Sunday school as I understand many protestants have?
I attend weekly classes called "Why Catholic". The text books are based on the study of our faith in regard to the weekly sunday readings from the Psalm, Letters and Gospel. it is truly a wonderful way to helpmake Scripture come alive in our everyday lives.

My parish ordered a new Catholic Scripture Study Bible and we are meeting after Mass on Sunday to discuss breaking up in smaller groups for more intense study. Most of my parish are now retired, although approx 25 percent still work, like me. We are devoted to prayer and study as a parish. I feel truly blessed to be here. And to be a Catholic!
Old Aug 19, '11, 11:31 am

sfoley, I basically have two jobs and both require me to travel. One full and one part-time. So my bible study/catholic community fellowship comes from the internet....case in point. I'm on a four-day trip rigt now away and feeding my spirital needs with this group and other websites that increase my faith and determination to end up in Heaven.
I guess what catechesis all boils down to is this, Jesus taught his apostles what it takes to get to Heaven. He instructed them not to keep this information a secret because Jesus wants us there with him. We need to do these things becuase the alternative, in my opinion, is unacceptable.
Old Sep 3, '11, 9:38 am
Observing Member

this has been my desire for years-a Catholic Sunday School like our protestant brothers and sisters. I do attend a wkly bible study that is learning about different books of the Bible. We are studying revelation right now. It meets on tuesdays for those that can go during the day and on Wed evenings if you can't get there during the day. we are always full but it is a miniscule of t he parish. We have a very spirit filled church and I think they would love more education.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Catholic Catechism Study Group