Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 29, '11, 1:03 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Child Fund International

Does anyone have any experience with this charity? I was considering donating to them/sponsoring a child but I would like to know if there is anything I should be concerned about? I thought it might be a good charity to give to in order to teach my daughter about charity since she would be able to put a face to the person/child we would be helping. Also, the commercials really do move me.

Thanks!
Old Aug 29, '11, 2:51 pm
Banned

Default Re: Child Fund International

I have experience, via my wife. They appear to be an excellent charity. One of the very good things for your daughter is that they do send pictures, periodic progress reports, and occasional letters from the child (or other family member if the child doesn't know English). Send a few extra dollars every month and you'll get a letter each time you do so thanking you.

They have Protestant roots, and some may argue that you should donate to other Catholic charities. In cases when dealing with children in great need, the needs of the child take priority. This is especially true if the Catholic charities are located in the area.
Old Aug 29, '11, 4:28 pm

Thanks Warrior1979! I actually do give to Catholic charities (it and the Bishop's Lenten Appeal are the only things I give to other than weekly offerings at Church). I am toying with the idea that it would give a "face" to the charity for my daughter. I am not 100% committed yet though (just tossing the idea around in my head). But you are right in thinking that it would probably take away a little from my other giving and that is something to consider.
Old Sep 6, '11, 2:37 am
Book Club Member

I used to sponsor with CCF. I sponsored a girl in Indonesia for 5 years. Initially i got letters quite often, and she sent pictures of her family too. However, about 2 years into the sponsorship, she started boarding school so letters dropped to 3 times a year, then twice a year and when I went 14 months without hearing from her, even though I'd send a birthday gift and another gift during that time. I send in and enquiry. I learned that she rarely came home anymore as she was preparing for her high school entrance tests. I never heard what the money I sent was spent on.

What i like about CCF was:
- I could send letters directly to their office in Jakarta which saved a lot of money for me.
- I could send packages (padded envelopes) not boxes
- I got regular letters from her in the beginning and extra pictures
- I got a regular newsletter with information about her community
- the charity has a very good reputation for financial management.
- you can choose the child directly from the website
- they work in many countries and sometimes you can see the child's religion so for example, if you chose a child from East Timor, most of them are Catholic and it is usually written on their profile

What I didn't like:

- there seemed to be no proper system in place to make sure the sponsor received regular letters
- only gift money was given directly to the child and her family. Everything else was sent to the community to build wells, schools etc. I was not sure if when CCF left the community that they would be able to maintain these but I hoped they would.
- because letters were sent airmail, they used airmail paper which was very thin and at times it was difficult to read.

Overall I had a good initial experience with CCF but was disappointed with the lack of letters as the child got older and that there wasn't a system to check this.

I still sponsor several children with Children International, International Humanity Fund - [url="http://www.ihfonline.org/"] - only $10/month for school sponsorship and you get an e-mailed picture of your child every month and an e-mailed letter too. I also sponsor with several smaller organisations.

Gearoidin

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014