Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 9, '11, 10:54 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default If God is a spirit why do we give him a gender and refer to God as He?

Creatures have a sex type or gender for they are made to reproduce.But why do we represent God as an old man with a white beard?. A male.God is a Spirit,sexless.
Why did Jesus call God "father"?And not "my source",for example?To put it in human terms,maybe?
I do not understand .Our human mind,cannot help but give God the Creator,creature attributes. God is a mighty energy,Spirit(no grey hairs, not a He or a She)
Anybody disagrees?
Old Sep 9, '11, 11:19 pm
Banned

Religion: I profess to be Catholic
Default Re: If God is a spirit why do we give him a gender and refer to God as He?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamsulosin View Post
Creatures have a sex type or gender for they are made to reproduce.But why do we represent God as an old man with a white beard?. A male.God is a Spirit,sexless.
Why did Jesus call God "father"?And not "my source",for example?To put it in human terms,maybe?
I do not understand .Our human mind,cannot help but give God the Creator,creature attributes. God is a mighty energy,Spirit(no grey hairs, not a He or a She)
Anybody disagrees?
God is a Trinity of Persons: Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

God, Himself, in the Person of Jesus Christ, Second Person of the Holy Trinity, revealed the Trinity of Persons in God to us as "Father, Son and Holy Ghost." Since this is found both in Scripture and tradition, Ecumenical Councils and Creeds, there is no good reason to doubt that it is true; and we must give our assent by divine and Catholic faith. God can neither lie nor be deceived.

God in the Person of the Father, is given the name Father (Patrem omnipotentem) because it is He who begets the Son. The Son is the Only-Begotten, born of the Father before all ages (Filium Dei unigenitum. Et ex Patre natum ante omnia saecula.). The First Person of the Holy Trinity is called Father because He is just that. The Second Person of the Holy Trinity is called Son because He is just that. This is not the same thing exactly as "sex," but rather the name of the source of generation and the one generated.

It is further illustrated in the Incarnation, in that the Second Person of the Holy Trinity took the male sex in His humanity, so He was both Son of God and son of man.

The Athanasian Creed, as exposed in the Council of Florence, gives a wonderful exposition on the Trinity, as well:

Quote:
Whoever wills to be saved, before all things it is necessary that he holds the Catholic faith. Unless a person keeps this faith whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish eternally. The Catholic faith is this, that we worship one God in the Trinity, and the Trinity in Unity, neither confounding the Persons nor dividing the Substance. For there is one person of the Father, another of the Son, and another of the Holy Spirit. But the Godhead of the Father, of the Son and of the Holy Spirit is one, the glory equal, and the majesty co-eternal. Such as the Father is, such is the Son, and such is the Holy Spirit. The Father, uncreated, the Son, uncreated, and the Holy Spirit, uncreated. The Father, infinite, the Son, infinite, and the Holy Spirit, infinite. The Father, eternal, the Son, eternal, and the Holy Spirit, eternal. Yet they are not three eternals, but One Eternal. As also they are not three uncreateds nor three infinites, but One Uncreated and One Infinite. Likewise the Father is almighty, the Son is almighty, and the Holy Spirit is almighty. Yet they are not three almighties, but One Almighty. Likewise the Father is God, the Son is God and the Holy Spirit is God. Yet they are not three gods, but One God. Likewise the Father is Lord, the Son is Lord and the Holy Spirit is Lord. Yet they are not three lords, but One Lord. For just as we are compelled by the Christian truth to acknowledge each person by Himself to be God and Lord, so we are forbidden by the Catholic religion to say there are three gods or three lords. The Father is made by none, neither created nor begotten. The Son is from the Father alone; not made nor created, but begotten. The Holy Spirit is from the Father and the Son; not made nor created nor begotten, but proceeding. So there is One Father, not three fathers; One Son, not three sons; One Holy Spirit, not three holy spirits. And in this Trinity nothing is before or after, nothing is greater or less; but the whole three Persons are co-eternal together and co-equal. So that in all things, as has been said above, the Unity in Trinity and the Trinity in Unity is to be worshipped. Whoever, therefore, wishes to be saved, let him think thus of the Trinity.
I hope you find what you're looking for.

-- Nicole
Old Sep 9, '11, 11:26 pm
Banned

Religion: Atheist.
Default Re: If God is a spirit why do we give him a gender and refer to God as He?

Quote:
Anybody disagrees?
What you have to understand is that Christianity is what we call a "revelation-based" religion. What this means is that God revealed himself to Mankind (in contrast to other religions, where Man thought God was nature itself).

God doesn't have a gender, but he revealed himself as a man because he spoke to Man at a point in history where society was very patriarchal. Women didn't get much say. But even despite this, Scripture does have several verses which shows God as having a maternal role as well: ""Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!" (Isaiah 49:15).

If I were you, I wouldn't let political correctness get the better of me. Certain women often complain about God not being addressed as a woman. But that's not their right - Nature, after all, is referred to as "Mother Nature".
Old Sep 10, '11, 12:51 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, "and loving it."

I'll add my two cents.

Not only is God a spirit, He also has a human body.

There are three persons but they make up the one and only God. The second person of the Trinity became incarnate as a male, and after the crucifixion He rose body and soul into heaven. So God the Son has a human male body "sitting at the right hand of the Father". This fact, along with His revelation through Tradition and Scripture, proves to me that God is masculine.

“Experience teaches that the man who exercises a frequent and rigid censorship over his thoughts, words and actions, is better capable of hating and avoiding evil and of cultivating earnestly what is good”
- St Pius X
Old Sep 10, '11, 1:02 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Jewish

Quote:
Anybody disagrees?
I know that in Judaism and the Hebrew Bible, while the Hebrew word for G-d--Elohim--is masculine, there is in addition the rabbinical concept of the female Shekinah (found in other cultures as well), which represents the almost tangible presence of G-d on the Sabbath, for example. The Shekinah is also spoken of in the mystical Jewish writings of the Kabbalah. I think that neither Judaism nor Christianity regards the essence of G-d as gender-specific, but describes G-d in that way to make His presence more real and immediate to us.
Old Sep 10, '11, 1:04 am
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

God is revealed as male, The Father. Also Jesus took flesh as a male. We can't speculate what we do not know about God. All we know is what is revealed, and what has been revealed is that we refer to God as male.
Old Sep 10, '11, 2:13 am

God said He's male. Who are we to argue?
Old Sep 10, '11, 3:07 am
Book Club Member

Religion: converting to Catholic

God can't have a gender. To say that he is 'male' or 'female' is nonsense. He is spirit. He possesses both masculine and feminine qualities. But in relation to his creation, he is like a male i.e. he gives while we receive, that's why he has revealed himself as such.
Old Sep 10, '11, 4:06 am
Banned

Quote:
Creatures have a sex type or gender for they are made to reproduce.But why do we represent God as an old man with a white beard?.
In Daniel 7:9, the prophet experiences a Vision:
I watched till thrones were put in place, and the Ancient of Days was seated. His garment was white as snow. and the hair on his head was like pure wool. - New King James Version.
The Revised Standard Version Says:
......and the hair of His head like pure wool......
See also Daniel 7:13 and 22; the title: "...the Ancient of Days..." is repeated.
It`s a metaphorical way of showing God`s existing in eternity.

Quote:
A male.God is a Spirit,sexless.
Anybody disagrees?
Don`t think of God as energy! That`s New Age!
OK to call Him "Spirit". He`s uncreated Existence Itself.

The Father is the generating Principle in the Godhead, just as a human father is the generating principle.

These two links will take you to an explanation of the inner Life of God:
http://www.katapi.org.uk/TandS/ShortContents.html

http://www.thesumma.info/reality/index.php

A quote from the Ignatius Press 1978 edition of Theology and Sanity, page 47, at the beginning of a chapter titled "He Who Is":
There is no better illustration of the way in which a mental image can still affect thinking even after it has been formally expelled from the mind than the picture of God as a venerable man with a beard......
But even those who laugh most scornfully at its naivete would, I think, if they were skilled at exploring their own thoughts, find that they were still dangerously affected by it.
Another quote......from the back cover:
Of Sheed`s many books, this is my favourite, not just becaus it includes the clearest explanation of the Trinity ever put on paper, but because it proves that only the Catholic view of reality can satisfy our mental hunger. - Karl Keating
Put up that quote a few more times, and i`ll know it off by heart......
No one seems to take any notice of it......or those links......

God hasn`t existed forever: He simply IS in the eternal NOW.

Last edited by Fink; Sep 10, '11 at 4:25 am.
Old Sep 10, '11, 7:34 am
Forum Supporter

Rocks 91: I completely agree with your entry.

For I am not talking about the holy Trinity or about Jesus that came as a man.
I am talking about the Godhead. I thank you for all answers so far.

Jesus was born to the virgen Mary "on earth"(took a body),but He always is from the beginning,with the Godhead and the Holy Spirit.So before Jesus was born for our benefit,on earth,did He already have a male body?Will this be a different thread?
Old Sep 10, '11, 7:44 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Don't get too caught up in this question. We have to stop comparing the physical with the spiritual; it's just not the same. We can speculate and create analogies with the physical but the truth is we won't find the answer here on earth in our physical bodies and minds.

Mark 8:36
Old Sep 11, '11, 7:45 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaldar View Post
Don't get too caught up in this question. We have to stop comparing the physical with the spiritual; it's just not the same. We can speculate and create analogies with the physical but the truth is we won't find the answer here on earth in our physical bodies and minds.
All the same, there`s an awful lot that we DO know about the inner Life of God. It`s just a matter of digesting a small bit at a time.
If you click on those two links provided at Post # 9, you`ll be shocked by the Reality of the very inner Life of the Blessed Trinity.

Why won`t anyone take those two sites seriously?
It`s maddening!
Old Sep 11, '11, 9:19 am

Religion: Catholic - revert in 1993

Quote:
Anybody disagrees?
We often refer to spirits and religious figures as male and female much the same way we refer to the two hemispheres of the human brain as "male" and "female." The notion of religious attributes of God as being either male or female is also found in the Kabbalah, the teaching of Jewish mysticism.

Mark 12:30-31
'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength...’ [and] ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’
Old Sep 11, '11, 12:46 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

The short answer, from a Christian point of view, is that Jesus referred to God as Father.

The short answer regarding "the old man with the long white beard" visual is that that's from the visionary literature. (A lot of people don't know that.) Naturally that doesn't mean that God the Father is in fact an old man with a white beard; it means that that's a common point of reference in the mystical literature. This is not unlike the common point of reference in NDE's being the long tunnel. It doesn't mean that we in fact travel through a physical tunnel after we die. Undoubtedly there's a spiritual experience, though, of such a "tunnel." (And the experience of bright light in an NDE would be perfectly compatible with an encounter with God, given all the visionary literature about such encounters.)

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics