Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Suggestion Box

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 12, '11, 9:28 am

Religion: Catholic
Default AAA Forum Suggestion

All,

I have been perplexed of late. While reading the AAA forum, I have several times discovered a thread answered by one of the docents in such a way as to suggest that the docents are not reading the questions carefully. I'm sure that's not the case, but I think you'll find upon reviewing the docent-answered questions, there are several for which the docent-provided links are only tangentially related to the original question.

Take, for instance, this thread. The original post asks why God rested on the 7th day, but the thread provided by the docent discusses Sunday and whether or not it is the Sabbath. Not only is this only loosely connected, it does not address any of the other implied questions in the original post.

I felt I should bring this to someone's attention, as I imagine it is terribly frustrating to the original poster if it bothers me, the reader.

Peace,
Dante
Old Sep 12, '11, 10:22 am
Forum Master

Default Re: AAA Forum Suggestion

Are the docents real people? I noticed the same thing you did and came to the conclusion that the docents were keyword bots. Not that there's anything wrong with that - it saves the apologists time and frees them up to answer less routine questions.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Sep 12, '11, 10:55 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

I have noticed this as well.

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old Sep 12, '11, 10:59 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corki View Post
Are the docents real people? I noticed the same thing you did and came to the conclusion that the docents were keyword bots. Not that there's anything wrong with that - it saves the apologists time and frees them up to answer less routine questions.
Yes, the docents are real people. They were added so that they could increase the number of AAA responses to individual queries, particularly repeat questions. The way I understand it, the docents are only answering questions that would otherwise have been ignored completely (due to their time restraints).

I have noticed at times that the linked responses don't match up so well to the question being posed. I think that's probably unavoidable. My guess is that if the docents were trained apologists, they wouldn't be docents. So it's only natural to misunderstand a question here or there.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, it’s more than that. It’s a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Sep 12, '11, 11:09 am

The docents are real people but are limited to providing links to previous AAA threads. The question asked, however, seems to be new (with a different spin than all the prior Sabbath-related questions).

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Suggestion Box