Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > John Paul II: 2005

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: What do you think of our Holy Father???
I love him in every way. He is a tireless example for us all, with a heart of love. 172 70.49%
I admire and love our Holy Father. Sometimes I wonder, though, if he's taken ecumenism too far. 18 7.38%
I love our Holy Father. Does he understand, though, the threat of Islam in the world today? I wonder about that sometimes. 10 4.10%
I love our Holy Father. He helped bring down the iron curtain and has done so much in reaching out to the poor. 11 4.51%
Our current Pope is a holy man but he has put a damper on the strides made after Vatican II, in my opinion 5 2.05%
Pope JPII has made the church to politically correct, allowed the erosion of the faith, made too many concessions in the spirit of ecumenism, and apologised for everything under the sun. I hope we get someone more conservative next time. 15 6.15%
Other, feel free to share. 13 5.33%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 27, '05, 4:38 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What is your honest opinion of Pope JohnPaul II ???

JP II was intellegent and a holy man.

He was too lenient with the Bishops and they (Bishops) have let the Church go to pot. His picking of US Bishops was not good.

Being almost an aesthetic man he was scared to disipline the Bishops.

JP II has allowed many to believe that other religions are on the same level as The Holy Mother Church. He allowd singing at Mass just like the Protestants. He changed the "Our Father" to be like the one the Protestants use. Why? Why did he want to be like Protestants?
Old Jun 27, '05, 4:54 pm

HE WILL BE KNOWN TO US AS POPE JOHN PAUL II THE GREAT!!!!
Old Jun 27, '05, 5:05 pm
Banned
Forum Supporter

Religion: catholic
Send a message via AIM to AlanFromWichita

hey wait a minute

somebody switched popes on us since this thread started, so I couldn't find an option that made sense now.

What to do? How to vote? I really liked JPII. I don't know if I "agree" with him on everything or not. I believe he held true to both theological and mystical knowledge of the Church to a close degree, and walked according to his own talk.

Alan
Old Jun 27, '05, 8:11 pm
Banned

He was one of the few Catholics who held the same beliefs that I hold. And he did his best to preach the gospel to as many people as possible.

However, he did a very bad job in appointing bishops.
Old Jul 2, '05, 4:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarAshly
I loved him in every way. he was the only Pope i had ever known as a Catholic. He was the cause of my conversion. I cried horribly the day he died, i felt a very dear friend had passed away. but i rejoice in the solid knowledge that he is in Heaven with God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit, and Mary whom he loved so. i pray that his cannonization is sped up, and he is sainted soon. JPII we Love you!
I cried too. Especially watching that funeral. Hoo, boy. (my mother, who is Lutheran, cried during his funeral. Just goes to show what an effect he had on people.) He was the only pope I had ever known. Sometimes it's still hard to believe he isn't with us any more. But, it's such a comfort to think of him in heaven, you're right. He's reached his reward and he isn't suffering anymore. I certainly hope he is made a saint as soon as possible.
Still miss him though. He seemed like such a gentle, kind man but still stuck to his guns for what he knew was right. What an example for us.
Old Jul 2, '05, 5:55 pm

Religion: Catholic, very Catholic
Talking Re: What is your honest opinion of Pope JohnPaul II ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie
His Cause for canonization has been speeded up. It officially opens in Rome on June 28th.
BTW. the church has been considering making him a martyr, because he was shot and it is belived that his
Parkinson's disease was caused by it.

Dux Summus Sociorum: APCAA: Sola Noidia. Providing a save haven from THEM for longer than you would expect.
Old Jul 3, '05, 12:52 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic and proud of it! Praise God!
Talking Re: What is your honest opinion of Pope JohnPaul II ???

JPII was BEUNO!

2 Tim 4:6-7 "For I am even now ready to be sacrificed: and the time of my dissolution is at hand. I have fought a good fight: I have finished my course: I have kept the faith." Have you?
Old Jul 8, '05, 11:42 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

I think that JP11 was great. I am only a teenager, so he is the only pope that i have ever known. I think that some of his views were slightly (only slightly) out of touch, but having sad this, he was still a brilliant person full of love and kindness to others. He was a fantastic pope, rolemodel and representative of catholics. He was loved by some many and had an effect on more than the lives of only catholics. I will always remember him as 'the pope'. I also find the fact that he has canonized and beatified more people than any other pope really cool. worldwide!
Old Jul 8, '05, 7:09 pm

Perhaps this is way off the thread and it is certainly driven more by emotions than reason, but I consider John Paul II to be a Saint and (here's the part that may be off the wall) I believe his first miracle is the papalcy of our Pope Benedict. I say this because are not miracles extra ordinary signs of God's loving activity working through the intercession of a Human? Now, consider how our present Pope wanted to and tried to retire for so many years, but through the intercession of John Paul II (actually it was John Paul II's refusal to let him retire) Pope Benedict was present as the Holy Spirit guided the college of Cardinals in the election of Benedict XVI. That for me was a real miralce.
Also, when I heard that there is talk of John Paul II being a Martyr
that concept just struct me as being just plain right.
Old Jul 8, '05, 7:12 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOME
Perhaps this is way off the thread and it is certainly driven more by emotions than reason, but I consider John Paul II to be a Saint and (here's the part that may be off the wall) I believe his first miracle is the papalcy of our Pope Benedict. I say this because are not miracles extra ordinary signs of God's loving activity working through the intercession of a Human? Now, consider how our present Pope wanted to and tried to retire for so many years, but through the intercession of John Paul II (actually it was John Paul II's refusal to let him retire) Pope Benedict was present as the Holy Spirit guided the college of Cardinals in the election of Benedict XVI. That for me was a real miralce.
Well put.
Old Jul 8, '05, 7:21 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

I am old enough to remember Pius, John XXIII, Paul VI, John Paul I, and JPII. We have been given an abundance of grace in our time to have JPII and Mother Theresa. In my own diocese we have Bishop Stanley J. Ott who opened our diocese to Mother Theresa. God gives us Saints to help with our situations.
Old Aug 6, '05, 8:11 pm

Religion: catholic

He always will be an amazing being,I litterally have no words to describe him a personal hero in my life.I'll meet him with our Lord some day.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > John Paul II: 2005