Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Suggestion Box
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #46  
Old Sep 25, '11, 3:18 pm
Miriam1947's Avatar
Miriam1947 Miriam1947 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 18, 2008
Posts: 2,145
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Making it clear when a poster is a minor and what sex the minor is

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjk View Post
It just seems to me that the age limit should be set higher for the entire forum.
And what age limit would you recommend?

I have read posters here who are 16 and who are very articulate, sometimes much more so that many of the adults here.

It's probably because they are homeschooled.
__________________
Catholic-Easter vigil 2008
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old Sep 25, '11, 4:24 pm
maryjk maryjk is offline
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: July 4, 2005
Posts: 9,206
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Making it clear when a poster is a minor and what sex the minor is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam1947 View Post
And what age limit would you recommend?

I have read posters here who are 16 and who are very articulate, sometimes much more so that many of the adults here.

It's probably because they are homeschooled.
Probably.

I would think 16 might work.
__________________
"The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money." Margaret Thatcher

Making good people helpless, won't make bad people harmless.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old Sep 27, '11, 4:16 am
patrick457 patrick457 is offline
Forum Master
 
Join Date: September 7, 2006
Posts: 12,940
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Making it clear when a poster is a minor and what sex the minor is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam1947 View Post
And what age limit would you recommend?

I have read posters here who are 16 and who are very articulate, sometimes much more so that many of the adults here.

It's probably because they are homeschooled.
I guess a 19 year-old like me who goes to school doesn't stand a chance.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old Sep 27, '11, 4:57 am
patrick457 patrick457 is offline
Forum Master
 
Join Date: September 7, 2006
Posts: 12,940
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Making it clear when a poster is a minor and what sex the minor is

Quote:
Originally Posted by principio View Post
Fact is, it's impossible to tell who anybody is on any of these forums, we can only be guided by our own judgement, and we can't control who come in and decides to participate, or deceive in the process.

In my opinion, if I sense, or even know for sure a minor is participating in a thread, and commenting on something I feel is inappropriate, I would stay as far away as possible. A 14 year old shouldn't be on these forums anyway, they should be out doing 14 year old stuff, not faux-apologetics with internet trolls

I understand the uncomfortable feeling, and maybe the desire to help, but this is not an appropriate venue to save young souls, to much deception, too much anonymity, not enough expertise and credentials to trust ANYONE... this is the internet. I would ignore the children on this forum, this is not the kind of attention they need, if they need spiritual advice or guidance, a real life priest, or councelor, or... hmmm wait... maybe their PARENTS!... woah, what a concept!

It would be dangerous to get involved. Getting involved does not make you a good Catholic, not getting involved doesn't make you a bad Catholic.
Well, I guess I must thank God that I've stayed far from the forums in question! For the record, I first joined CAF about five years ago at the age of 13 under a rather similar username to the one I'm using now, only with more atrocious grammar and capitalization habits (not that I'm better now). I don't know; people always tell me I'm an odd person, I guess that's just my idea of what a 13 year-old should be doing.

I discovered CAF almost by accident actually: I've chanced upon the infamous website of Jack T. Chick and his tracts. For a youngster like me back then, his claims seemed pretty big and serious: Catholics are Hell-bound pagans and every other anti-Catholic red herring you can think of. I already knew something was not right with Chick's claims, but I can't exactly articulate good rebuttals since I can't yet point my finger at what was wrong.

I remembered, from the one issue of Immaculate Heart Messenger that I had (the one which featured Our Lady of Kazan and had an article by our own Kark Keating on it; and BTW, no I longer have it ) and upon watching EWTN (a channel I've watched since childhood really, right up there with what channels kids are watching - in fact, one of the very first websites I visited in my life was that of EWTN's!) that I came to know of something called 'Catholic Answers'. I typed it in, and wow. Not only are my worries about the Chick tracts fully answered, I also got a truckload more besides. For someone who really had an interest in religious matters (which explains the above atypical behavior) and who once played with the statues on the family altar, making them reenact Biblical scenes along with normal action figures, and who tried to make a statue of Our Lady (complete with 'veil' - in reality a towel) out of Little Tikes (yes I'm very sorry), that was a godsend. And then, I was like: "what's a forum?" And the folks over at the Water Cooler forums and their talk of Mudgies, Trogs, Noids, and whatever caught their fancy, as well as the population of the Apologetic forums and their endless debates raging like the unquenchable True Samadhi Fire that came out of the eyes, mouth and nostrils of Red Boy proved to be the last straw for me: why not join in this mess? And the rest, as they say, is history. So in short, many of you here are to blame for what I am now.

There. If Karl wants the testimony of someone CA and its forums have helped, he can completely have mine. I'll be standing here waiting for the royalties.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old Sep 27, '11, 7:38 am
someguy14 someguy14 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: September 23, 2011
Posts: 268
Religion: Believer in God
Default Re: Making it clear when a poster is a minor and what sex the minor is

Treat each poster as a child, with love and sincerity and that problem can be averted.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old Sep 27, '11, 9:06 am
ThatOneDudeAlex ThatOneDudeAlex is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: June 25, 2011
Posts: 66
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to ThatOneDudeAlex
Default Re: Making it clear when a poster is a minor and what sex the minor is

I'm just re-elaborating on previously mentioned points, here.

As a sixteen year old myself, believe me, you'll have no real way of knowing. On practically every website I've joined, my age is, like, 46. Few minors use their real age because many websites will shut them out. Honestly, integrating some age indicator would be a waste of time, as you'd "catch" very few.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old Sep 27, '11, 9:17 am
ThyKingdomCome ThyKingdomCome is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 2,025
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Making it clear when a poster is a minor and what sex the minor is

It's not a waste of time to for a Catholic organization to appeal to the conscience of a minor, and to at least make a notification that certain things are meant to be for adult participation only. It is never a waste of time to tell the truth, even when most people around you would rather lie.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old Sep 27, '11, 9:22 am
ThatOneDudeAlex ThatOneDudeAlex is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: June 25, 2011
Posts: 66
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to ThatOneDudeAlex
Default Re: Making it clear when a poster is a minor and what sex the minor is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome View Post
It's not a waste of time to for a Catholic organization to appeal to the conscience of a minor, and to at least make a notification that certain things are meant to be for adult participation only. It is never a waste of time to tell the truth, even when most people around you would rather lie.
Oh, I'm not arguing that. Flagging certain threads or sub-forums could be very beneficial! But as far as specifically putting notifications on certain profiles, I don't think much would be achieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam1947 View Post
I have read posters here who are 16 and who are very articulate, sometimes much more so that many of the adults here.

It's probably because they are homeschooled.
Personally, I thank 11 years of Catholic schooling
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old Sep 27, '11, 10:29 am
JChapel JChapel is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: October 4, 2010
Posts: 336
Religion: Latin Rite Catholic
Default Re: Making it clear when a poster is a minor and what sex the minor is

This brings another idea to mind. There is another message board that I belong to that has certain sensitive areas locked to everyone that doesn't have administrator approval (through private message). Perhaps this is what we need, and just treat everything else PG-13.
__________________
--James Chapel

For the sake of His sorrowful passion,
have mercy on us and on the whole world.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old Sep 27, '11, 11:12 am
ThyKingdomCome ThyKingdomCome is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 2,025
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Making it clear when a poster is a minor and what sex the minor is

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChapel View Post
This brings another idea to mind. There is another message board that I belong to that has certain sensitive areas locked to everyone that doesn't have administrator approval (through private message). Perhaps this is what we need, and just treat everything else PG-13.
Yes, me too. In the case of one in particular, you are generally not admitted to the subforum until the administrator "knows" you well enough to know that you are who you say you are (age/sex). Certain topics are just not allowed in the public areas for the protection of minors. I'm sure people slip through the cracks, but moderators continue to watch within the forums, and most frauds eventually get noticed, at least to those who are paying attention. Of course, such a forum would have to have closer oversight, fewer members in private subforums - and I'm sure that would be difficult here. My opinion is that it is an important enough issue that it would be worth the difficulties.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old Sep 28, '11, 7:51 am
runningdude's Avatar
runningdude runningdude is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 20, 2010
Posts: 3,444
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Making it clear when a poster is a minor and what sex the minor is

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy14 View Post
Treat each poster as a child, with love and sincerity and that problem can be averted.
__________________
Only the Holy Spirit can move a heart to penance; Blaspheming the Holy Spirit, then, is refusing his call.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old Sep 28, '11, 8:25 am
Neildown's Avatar
Neildown Neildown is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 20, 2011
Posts: 1,333
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Making it clear when a poster is a minor and what sex the minor is

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjk View Post
And no, raising the age limit isn't going to stop a child from lying. But it might stop someone that follows the rules from joining and being part of adult conversations.
There is a problem with that too though, because rule-abiding youth aren't the ones who need censorship - it's the ones who evade the law who cause the problems. I myself have contributed minutely to what some might call "adult" discussions, but I have relevant positions just as any adult has. I'm not oblivious to the meaning of sex, prostitution, homosexualism, or really anything that I have ever seen talked-about here. I hear worse conversations from school kids younger than myself than I do here.
__________________

"The fatal metaphor of progress, which means leaving things behind us, has utterly obscured the real idea of growth, which is leaving things inside us." - G.K. Chesterton.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old Sep 28, '11, 8:27 am
Neildown's Avatar
Neildown Neildown is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 20, 2011
Posts: 1,333
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Making it clear when a poster is a minor and what sex the minor is

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjk View Post
Probably.

I would think 16 might work.
I would agree, because I fit exactly into that category.
__________________

"The fatal metaphor of progress, which means leaving things behind us, has utterly obscured the real idea of growth, which is leaving things inside us." - G.K. Chesterton.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old Sep 28, '11, 12:49 pm
Tyler1234 Tyler1234 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 31, 2011
Posts: 126
Religion: Episcopalian
Default Re: Making it clear when a poster is a minor and what sex the minor is

I mildly take offense to this post...
I will be fifteen in 2-ish weeks, so yes, I am a minor.
But I disagree on the maturity issues, there are some teens who are mature enough to handle such topics in an appropriate manner.
Don't you think that a teenager who can take charge of their spirituality and join a Catholic site, such as this, on their own free will, is mature enough to handle debates over abortion and homosexuality and whatnot?

I somewhat agree with what you said about undermining the minor's parents, however. So maybe just display the poster's age, instead of limiting their use of the forums?

I come here for fellowship, guidance, and for the opportunity to support my brothers an sisters in Christ with some of their deepest struggles.

Should I be disallowed these privileges because of my age?
__________________
Deus misereatur
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old Sep 28, '11, 4:41 pm
ThyKingdomCome ThyKingdomCome is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 2,025
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Making it clear when a poster is a minor and what sex the minor is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler1234 View Post
Don't you think that a teenager who can take charge of their spirituality and join a Catholic site, such as this, on their own free will, is mature enough to handle debates over abortion and homosexuality and whatnot?

I somewhat agree with what you said about undermining the minor's parents, however. So maybe just display the poster's age, instead of limiting their use of the forums?

I come here for fellowship, guidance, and for the opportunity to support my brothers an sisters in Christ with some of their deepest struggles.

Should I be disallowed these privileges because of my age?
A mature 14yo is capable of getting involved in apologetic type debates. He/she might be fully able to discuss the value of NFP etc... This would be a parental judgement, IMO.

What is a more universal truth is this - even a mature teenager should not be involved in are discussions about the intimate details of the marital relationship. Even most single adults don't need to engage in those discussions. It's not about maturity, it's about the fact that detailed conversations about those matters are more likely to be spiritually tempting than uplifting. In fact, some of the more mature single people that I know will deliberately AVOID such conversations because they know that there is little positive value for them, and they know that putting themselves into a tempting situation isn't prudent. It takes maturity to be able to stay out of discussions. I'm sure some teens have that maturity and some don't. But when you're a Catholic organization, the encouragement of chastity is of very high value, and it would be silly to not want to protect young people from certain temptations.

My question to any teen taking issue with being left out of "mature topics" (meaning discussion of the details of the marital embrace in a specific way, which is not the same as an apologetic debate about homosexuality or contraception) would be, why would it bother you if you couldn't be involved in conversations between married people about topics relating to what happens in the bedroom? Wanting to be a part of those conversations is a sign of immaturity. Accepting that your time to discuss those details will come if and when you are married would be a sign of maturity.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Suggestion Box

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8303Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Inariga
5069CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4353Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: FootStool
4035OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: 3DOCTORS
3852SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3613Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3264Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3210Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3195Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3067For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: tammany



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 7:02 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.