Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 4, '11, 7:45 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Saw the Devil When I Was a Child?

I think it is possible it was the enemy

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Old Oct 4, '11, 7:53 pm

Interesting thread.

Perhaps somewhat related: I recommend "Hostage to the Devil," by Fr. Malachi Martin, who used to teach at the Vatican's Pontifical Institute. It deals with 5 true cases of demonic possession and exorcism. I have a very strong stomach, but I can tell you it is the single scariest book I've ever read.

I mention it because one case dealt with a person who saw an "odd face" repeatedly, in crowds, at odd times, etc. Ultimately, if memory serves, the person later learned -- through exorcism -- that the 'funny face,' who was believed to be diabolic, was in fact believed to be the spirit/soul of the viewer's deceased grandfather, apparently trying to warn the viewer about diabolic attack from an unexpected source.

Someperson555's comments are excellent IMHO.

Finally, although BigFellaMick's comments made me smile, one aspect also struck me as incorrect: If BFM's "come at me Bro" was to be directed at Lucifer, even if accompanied by a Rosary, saying anything like that would be a serious mistake -- which Fr. Martin deals with expressly in his book -- since we should NEVER, under any circumstance, ever invite any demon to "come at us," since -- without God -- we would be made short work of. Possessions happen only when someone "invites in" a demon, and I for one would never invite a demon to "come at me" even if I had a Rosary close at hand.

-VdT
Old Oct 4, '11, 9:24 pm

Same here, I never would. I find this stuff terrifying. Whether what I saw was real or not....Although I was very scared, for some reason I have a feeling that if this happened to me as an adult I'd be WAY more scared than I was. I kind of just accepted it in a childlike way and went on with my life and hoped he'd leave me alone. It was really just like being harrassed constantly.

The thing is also, is I just remember being genuinely curious about what this "being" could possibly be. I remember finally just asking who he was, and when I got the answer I remember feeling frozen and shocked...like "Oooohhh...that's not the answer I was going for..." But I was only 3 or 4 years old. At this point this is a very vague memory and maybe there is a psychological explanation for imagining something like this at that age.

Also, the "form" of the man (genie like with red eyes)--while he did not look nice, or seem friendly---and he looked scary, I think it was supposed to be relatively "child friendly".I think it could have looked way scarier.
Old Oct 4, '11, 9:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDerTann View Post
Finally, although BigFellaMick's comments made me smile, one aspect also struck me as incorrect: If BFM's "come at me Bro" was to be directed at Lucifer, even if accompanied by a Rosary, saying anything like that would be a serious mistake -- which Fr. Martin deals with expressly in his book -- since we should NEVER, under any circumstance, ever invite any demon to "come at us," since -- without God -- we would be made short work of. Possessions happen only when someone "invites in" a demon, and I for one would never invite a demon to "come at me" even if I had a Rosary close at hand.

-VdT
Exactly! It's what Fr. Ripperger calls the Divine Economy of Authority. Basically, everything works according to the order God established. We do not have authority over angels, and only exorcists are given the authority to command demons (in an exorcism) through their Bishop from Christ. If a person attempts to command such beings (even the good Angels), then they are committing an act of disobedience This can open a person up to spiritual attack.

This is also the reason Father says we should not name our Guardian Angels. We don't know their names (unless revealed to us by divine revelation), and have no authority to give them a name.
Old Oct 5, '11, 3:08 am

[quote=Marianne88;8429072]Hello everyone,

I am new to CAF. First off, I am very happy to be able to get the opinions of fellow Catholics. I have been hesitant to tell very many people in my life about the following experience, because I always was afraid people would think I was crazy, even as a kid.

Starting when I was about 3 or 4, when I would be taking my bath, my mom would leave the door open and go about her business in the house and check on me periodically. Sometimes, I was left alone for a significant amount of time. I really enjoyed bath time as I always had lots of toys in the bathtub.

My family was not very religious...my mom took me to Mass and told me to believe in God but I was not raised to have any unhealthy fear of the Devil. I knew to say my nightly prayers but i did not preoccupy myself with religion.

Around this time, in the shiny reflection of the wall, I started to see the face of a man. I was very disturbed...the man was bald, with red eyes, and he had a gold earring, like a genie. This happened many times. He would grin at me in a sick way and talk to me. Many times I would completely ignore him and talk loudly to myself so I couldn't hear him and splash the water loudly. Usually, I would get scared enough that I would scream for my mom to come. While I was screaming in fear, the man would laugh at me. By the time my mom arrived, I couldn't see him anymore. I was always VERY frustrated that my mom couldn't see him. But I would almost always call for her, and she never was able to see him because he always disappeared. I would always emphatically say to her "he was JUST here, he was JUST here!" My mom later remarked that this must have happened 80 times over a few years.

I grew so used to the presence of this man in the bathtub during bath time that eventually I just asked him who he was. And I just remember him looking at me and saying "I'm the Devil."---which terrified me greatly. I'd been to church enough to understand that this was very bad and I also had the sense that it was not normal, since nobody would believe me. My mom always insisted that it was my imagination. I did not tell any of my friends at school---I ALWAYS took my mind off of it after bath time.

This man would tell me bad things--I can't remember anything specific, but I just remember that he would suggest bad things about my family and even perhaps urge me to do bad things, but I never felt like he was influencing me. I felt strong willed. I learned many times how to press his buttons, and it was by mentioning God. Whenever he would show up and taunt me by saying that he would get me or things of that nature, I learned to say "You can't do anything, God is stronger than you and God wins in the end"---whenever I would say something like this, his sick grin would be wiped from his face instantly, and he would look horribly angry. Usually he would leave after this.

One more thing--my best friend growing up, who is also catholic, spent the night with me often. I did not tell her the story when we were little. She says as she remembers it, she had to go pee in the middle of the night and I refused to go with her and begged her to wait to go until morning. Finally I let her go by herself. She says she heard something in the bathroom while peeing and thought I was at the door; when she got up to wash her hands she saw the face in the bathtub reflecting in the mirror. I was so surprised that she saw it too, that I kept saying "You saw it too??" in shock. We both went to my mom and brother the next morning, and they listened to our stories separately to see if they matched up. I'm assuming they did. They insisted once again that we were imagining things. My friend and I have discussed this for the first time in many years recently and we both remember things the same as we always did, even though we've gone years without mentioning it.

She moved away a few years later but we kept in touch. She recalled me saying to her on a phone conversation while she was coloring (We must have been about 7 at the time), that I had finally stopped seeing the man in the bathtub. She says that she saw it a few times at her house but it never spoke to her. It was always the same bald man with red eyes and gold earring. I do know that as I got older it happened less frequently. I never did tell anyone else until college.

I do think you were hullcinating. I do not think you pereived a devil, as kids, we come up with the stgrangest stories.

JESUS I TRUSTY IN YOU

jr

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality