Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 2, '11, 4:59 pm

Religion: Protestant
Default Re: Why am I ALWAYS unemployed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I never said anything of the sort, nor was that my thought. It simply struck me that it was an odd way to lead into your presentation, since it didn't relate to anything else in the post. I did wonder whether perhaps you hoped we would have the reaction you now seem to be tempting me to have. It just isn't part of my way of thinking, pardner. Sorry if I disappointed.
I had no intention to stir up any reaction from anyone by my statement.. Oh, and it's partner, not pardner.
Old Oct 2, '11, 5:10 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindofScared View Post
Thank you. Wow! Your highlighted sentence really made my predicament very very clear! Those are my tow problems! I really have to work on that!

Yes, I am looking for answers. I also vent. But I do want to move forward and find my way out of this unemployment on to a life of success.
Ah, it appears Trishie is better at these things than I am, and my hat's off to her.

I really don't have anything to add, other than to say again what I said before, perhaps without any distracting chaff attending it.

It has been very helpful in my life to realize what a tribute it actually is for someone to give me a paycheck, however small it might be and whatever I thought about the work itself. Nobody gives up money readily. Nobody. Employers only do that when they feel they are receiving an EVEN GREATER value. (profit motive) Now, when you think about it, that is a major tribute to the person receiving the pay. Major. One should realize that. It really does change the way one might otherwise think about work.

I have also tried to communicate to those I serve that that is the way I feel about it; that they are honoring me by allowing me to provide them with value. It's the truth, so why not let them know? Somewhere in their minds they also think it, so that's a "relationship-forming" attitude.

But again, I would not shun a job unless it was so physically hazardous that I felt myself unlikely to survive it. There's no shame in it. I have, in my time, known people who started out in a very "low" status and at low pay, and advanced quickly if they showed aptitude and a proper attitude. And not just young people, either. But what if a person doesn't advance? Well, he's still giving value, and the tribute that comes with the paycheck.

And, after all, the circumstances of this life are not what this life is all about.
Old Oct 2, '11, 5:14 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
I had no intention to stir up any reaction from anyone by my statement.. Oh, and it's partner, not pardner.
Around here, it's "pardner". A localism, I suppose, sort of like calling somebody a "good ol' boy". You don't say "good old boy". "Partner" and "Pardner" are entirely different things.
Old Oct 2, '11, 5:21 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: joyfully Catholic

Quote:
Thank you. Wow! Your highlighted sentence really made my predicament very very clear! Those are my tow problems! I really have to work on that!

Yes, I am looking for answers. I also vent. But I do want to move forward and find my way out of this unemployment on to a life of success.
Your highlights, not mine! mine was normal text!

Not cooperating with gratuitous arguments when we were only trying to respond to your professed problem as stated by you.

God bless you
as if each person is the only loved one.
JESUS please welcome each person with love, healing, and great joy!
Thank You JESUS

Mother Mary at the wedding feast of Cana (John 2:1-12)
though JESUS protested it was not yet time for miracles
you successfully interceded with Him for a family's temporal need
please now intercede with your divine Son
for each person's temporal and spiritual needs.
Thank you Mother

JESUS please grant our prayer for this person

Catechism of the Catholic Church http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM
Old Oct 2, '11, 5:21 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
I was born a Catholic. I became a Protestant later in life. I was taught that God had a plan for my life. I should pray about things they said. Well I do believe that. But sometimes I feel so very lost, like now!

I am in my early 50s. I am unemployed for years. I have a college degree and skills. The field I am in is very, very competitive. But I thought it was a good fit. My whole life has been one big professional struggle. I don't know if I can't focus or just don't kiss but enough.

I thought God was in control of where I go in life. But I suppose that's a wrong teaching. I don't know.

What does a person like me do? I have a family for crying out loud!
My heart goes out to you too.

I don't have nearly the skills you do, but I was unemployed for a long time, as well. I mean this not to diminsh all your skills and your struggle to attain them, but when you have a family to feed and the industry or profession you were schooled and trained for is not hiring at the moment, then you need to take a job, any job. Working at McDonald's may be degrading for a person with as much education and experience and skill as you, but again, if your regular profession is not possible at the moment, you need to take any job that comes your way. I have friends who'd rather sit on the couch for a couple of years moaning about not having money simply because they are "holding out for a management position" and find fast-food or grocery store work below them.

-Chris
Old Oct 2, '11, 6:56 pm

Thank you all for your feedback and help.
Fortunately, my wife works. We are blessed in that we are able to make ends meet. But I still want to work and provide for my family. Sigh... I will pray. I appreciate your prayers as well.
Old Oct 4, '11, 9:41 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Chaldean Catholic (Faithful to the Pope and the Magisterium)

Well my brother in Christ,

I am sorry that you have left the Church, and I pray that you will take the time to study the faith, the history of the Church, and much more in the future. I will tell you straight up without hesitation, by living outside of the Catholic Church, you are going against the will of God, who: "desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth"; that is, God wills the salvation of everyone through the knowledge of the truth. Salvation is found in the truth. Those who obey the prompting of the Spirit of truth are already on the way of salvation. But the Church, to whom this truth has been entrusted, must go out to meet their desire, so as to bring them the truth. Because she believes in God's universal plan of salvation, the Church must be missionary." - Catechism of the Catholic Church (Paragraph 851)

-

Now I hope you can see why I am taking the time to "bring you to the truth", for yes, the truth is Jesus Christ, but it does not stop there. The pillar and foundation of truth is the Church (1 Timothy 3:15), the very Church that Jesus Christ established almost 2,000 years ago and promised the gates of hell would not prevail against (cf. Matthew 16:18).

-

Now I am saying this to you, because ON TOP of helping you with your unemployment, I would like for you to look into becoming a Catholic again, but this time, a truly faithful Catholic who understands the reasons for why this is the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church of God.

-

I'll leave you with the following link and then strive to help you with your problem:
http://www.catholic.com/documents/pi...illar-of-truth

-

After having read through the posts, I see that you have discovered that there are indeed two major problems, and you know what those are. CONFIDENCE is a great key to success, and if there is anything I have learned in my lifetime and through the countless hours of studying, it is that people can see if you think negatively of yourself. It's not something you can hide, if you think that you are good for nothing because you've been unemployed, people will see that, but if you change the negatives into positives (and that is possible), you will ooze confidence and you will even walk and talk differently.

-

In regards to what one of the earlier posters said, yes, you probably should take your life into a different direction, especially if this career you are so skilled at has no room for you. It's sad because the economy truly is in a state of turmoil at this present time and it doesn't look like it will be getting fixed anytime soon. My question is, if you have been unemployed for so long, why haven't you taken the time to do something else? How have you even survived this long without a job? I'm thinking you probably just left out that information, so you probably have been unemployed in regards to the career you wanted but you are still working maybe at a fast-food joint, or whatever.

-

But again, because of your age (and it's not that old), people would want a younger employee and so that is definitely an obstacle. The atheist said it right when he gave the advice that you should look into a few jobs as an intern, working for free. It could help build your resume and can show employers that you're not some "NEW GUY". Because to tell you the truth, having a college degree is not enough, if that degree has been gathering dust for years and years, then employers are thinking, this man has no actual experience, so what does he have to offer? Sure, he did learn his stuff, but how much of it does he remember after all these years?

-

And so, working as an intern for free would be a great choice, try and use google or whatever you can. Employers would love to have you working for free, and who knows, they may even like you and end up hiring you after all.

-

I do want to remind you, that God does not interfere with our lives, he is truly IN CHARGE, but he will not interfere unless we "ASK". Hence the Scriptures say: "Ask and you will receive", but simply asking isn't enough, you must ask with FAITH, FULL CONFIDENCE in God's power.

-

Quote:
"Therefore I tell you, all that you ask for in prayer, believe that you will receive it and it shall be yours." - Mark 11:24
Let us also look at the.. "EPISTLE OF STRAWS" as your protestant founder called it...

Quote:
Book of James, Chapter 1, Verses 2 to 8
Consider it all joy, my brothers, when you encounter various trials,
for you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
And let perseverance be perfect, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
But if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God who gives to all generously and ungrudgingly, and he will be given it.
But he should ask in faith, not doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed about by the wind.
For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord,
since he is a man of two minds, unstable in all his ways.
-

Here are a list of links my brother which will help you build confidence in the work-field. And I pray to God that you will look into becoming a Catholic, my email is here if you'd like to speak with me.

Quote:
[email protected]
HOW TO BUILD CONFIDENCE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2qHu_1VDEw

HOW TO CHANGE YOUR NEGATIVE THOUGHTS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5RRKVtAG8s

How to get a job interview - Tips for getting a job interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2228sHOD5eY
Old Oct 5, '11, 5:20 am

Stevin Habba I was wondering how I should reply to your bold claim that I should go back to the Catholic Church and that I am living out of the "will of God" since I am no longer a catholic. Hmmm... well thank you for at least calling me a "brother in Christ." At least you're not accusing me of being apostate.

Having said that, I refuse to rejoin a church that has such a horrible repeated history of protecting Priests who molest children. There, I said it. I'm not saying this to be disrespectful to you, or this forum, or even the Catholic Church. But you can't refute the case. Therefore, I could never rejoin any organization that has so grossly hid that kind of sin.

Sorry, I just had to say it. And I don't say it with any ill intent. It's the way I feel.
Old Oct 5, '11, 6:13 am

Quote:
Thank you all for your feedback.
The tragic thing is, I have had problems finding jobs and keeping jobs even when the economy was great! I don't know what it is! Am I stupid? I feel stupid right now. I was raised to feel stupid. But I know I am not. My father always made our Jewish friends kids seem so brilliant. And one of them was. They could do no wrong! He called us (or me) stupid, but they were brilliant! I still feel I have to compare myself to them. I can't get it out of my head. Today one is a doctor and the other works in showbiz. And here I am, yet again unemployed and lost. I AM LOST AT 51!!! I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.
Sounds like a good time to get on your knees and find silence in your daily life. To follow Jesus we all must literally be led into the desert and descend into hell to touch the pain of this world and learn to be a healing force in whatever our life presents to us. It's time, my friend, to deny your self will and dispose your self entirely to God. See Prov 3:5-6.

If you do not have a Spiritual director now would be a good time to get one. "Crossing the poison river" as one author calls this stage in the spiritual journey can be tricky business...Peace.
Old Oct 5, '11, 6:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tskrobacz View Post
Sounds like a good time to get on your knees and find silence in your daily life. To follow Jesus we all must literally be led into the desert and descend into hell to touch the pain of this world and learn to be a healing force in whatever our life presents to us. It's time, my friend, to deny your self will and dispose your self entirely to God. See Prov 3:5-6.

If you do not have a Spiritual director now would be a good time to get one. "Crossing the poison river" as one author calls this stage in the spiritual journey can be tricky business...Peace.
Thank you for your reply. Funny you should mention praying to Jesus. This morning I was planning to start praying to Jesus earnestly again. I have a few besetting sins that have had a big hold on my life. They have taken the place of Jesus being first in my life. It is time for me to make Jesus my best friend and Savior again.
Old Oct 5, '11, 6:39 am

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. Funny you should mention praying to Jesus. This morning I was planning to start praying to Jesus earnestly again. I have a few besetting sins that have had a big hold on my life. They have taken the place of Jesus being first in my life. It is time for me to make Jesus my best friend and Savior again.
Always remember that your "sin" is also your gift when it awakens you to your inner spiritual journey. Also, remember it is the Christ that you seek....
Old Oct 7, '11, 7:50 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Chaldean Catholic (Faithful to the Pope and the Magisterium)

Oh trust me, I stand firm in what I have spoken to you. I am a member of the Catholic (Universal) Christian Church because Jesus Christ established it and promised the gates of hades would not prevail against it.
-
There is much more reason of course, but the point is, I trust that Jesus Christ will not allow the Church to teach any error, your pathetic claim of "because people 'hid' something about the sex abuse scandal" is absolutely ignorant.
-
I said what I said for a reason, to tell you boldly that you are ignorant of the teachings of the Church and that you should take the time to re-examine the faith you claim is "false".
-
I didn't leave the Church when I found out about the sex abuse scandal, I took a huge step back and I studied religion deeply, seeing all sides giving them all equal opportunity, and the Catholic Church stood out strong as being the only one worthy of being the Church that Jesus Christ, our Lord & Savior ("OUR" Lord & Savior) established.
-
I also call you a brother in Jesus Christ because that is what you are according to our Church, I am not speaking like some Catholic who is also Protestant, the Catechism of the Catholic Church clearly states:

Quote:
Who belongs to the Catholic Church?

836 "All men are called to this catholic unity of the People of God. . . . And to it, in different ways, belong or are ordered: the Catholic faithful, others who believe in Christ, and finally all mankind, called by God's grace to salvation."320

837 "Fully incorporated into the society of the Church are those who, possessing the Spirit of Christ, accept all the means of salvation given to the Church together with her entire organization, and who - by the bonds constituted by the profession of faith, the sacraments, ecclesiastical government, and communion - are joined in the visible structure of the Church of Christ, who rules her through the Supreme Pontiff and the bishops. Even though incorporated into the Church, one who does not however persevere in charity is not saved. He remains indeed in the bosom of the Church, but 'in body' not 'in heart.'"321

838 "The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter."322 Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church."323 With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound "that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord's Eucharist."324
-

Here are some links I've read before and would love to share with you in regards to what you think about the sex abuse scandal.

-

*easy read, QUICK QUESTION AND ANSWER*
How do we answer the charges of hypocrisy in the midst of scandal?
http://www.catholic.com/quickquestio...dst-of-scandal

*long read*
Three Great Lessons of the Abuse Scandal
http://www.catholic.com/magazine/art...-abuse-scandal

-

This link is also great, it comes from a non-Catholic like yourself asking a question about the sex abuse, there is MUCH you can learn online.
http://www.askacatholic.com/_webpost...gErroneous.cfm

-

In fact, I highly suggest you take a look at this link

A list of Catholic Scripture verses that defend Catholic doctrines.
http://www.askacatholic.com/holyquot...lic_verses.htm

In the above link, it also mentions the following in regards to Scandals in the Church.
Jeremiah 32:32-35 - Old Testament leaders and priests offered child sacrifices
2 Kings 23:7 - Old Testament cult prostitutes in the temple of the Lord
Matthew 13:24-30 - parable of the weeds among the wheat
Matthew 13:47-48 - parable of the net that collects good and bad fish
Mark 14:43-46 - Judas betrayed Jesus
Mark 14:50 - they all left him and fled from the garden of Gethsemane
Mark 14:66-72 - Peter denied Our Lord, three times.
John 4:22 - In spite of their infidelity, salvation is from the Jews
John 20:24-25 - Thomas refused to believe in his resurrection from the dead
Romans 3:3-4 - will their infidelity nullify the fidelity of God? No!
2 Timothy 2:13 - if we are all unfaithful, God remains faithful

-

We are ALL fallible beings, only GOD is infallible, and so for you to ever go against the Church of God because of leaders (and they are few in number, not that it matters) who sinned against God is absolutely pathetic of you and of anyone who leaves the Church for this reason. As it clearly shows above, there have been many cases where men who are supposed to be faithful to God were unfaithful.

-

We do not follow the ACTS of men, we follow the TEACHINGS of the Church which comes from the Magisterium of the Catholic Church and are protected by God from any error.

Last edited by Stevin Habba; Oct 7, '11 at 8:05 pm.
Old Oct 8, '11, 5:54 pm

Stevin Habba I NEVER said the Catholic teachings were false!!

I have had run ins with angry people like you who were both Evangelical Protestants and Catholics. I refuse to let you or anyone else demean me by accusing me of being "ignorant." You know nothing about me or my level of knowledge on the Catholic Church or any other church.
But you call me a "brother in Christ" so for that I thank you!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations