Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 28, '11, 10:04 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: The Chapel Veil: Your opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic90 View Post
Of course it happens!! Usually several times every winter in Minnesota !!

I run hot so it is even rare for me to wear a proper winter coat. Usually you will find me in a sweatshirt and a lined windbreaker. Only when I must be outside for a few hours do I put on a winter coat. My boys are the same way. Residents of Minnesota, and only one owns a winter coat that fits and that is only because he ice fishes!!

So yeah you will find me in skirts, capris, shorts, tank tops, and flip flops until the snow falls!!
hmm well the high here tomorrow is 97...one forgets there are places that actually have seasons, or snow, whatever that is!

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old Sep 30, '11, 7:54 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaine75 View Post
In my parish, there are only about eight ladies (myself included) who wear the chapel veil. I feel more comfortable wearing it in Mass than not wearing it. At first, I was embarrassed because there were so few wearing it and I was afraid I was going to stick out like a sore thumb, but now I feel weird if I forget it and home and don't wear it! Definitely a personal choice, I guess, but I bet if my parish gave out free veils, more women would use them.

Now there's a new idea! If more women wore them, we'd all feel more comfortable returning to this custom. A personal choice, of course. How times have changed, feeling out of place wearing something that traditionally was simply an act of grace and modesty.
Old Sep 30, '11, 11:04 am
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic Convert 2008

I'm a newbie at this kind of stuff... I've started researching this topic, because the wife of my RCIA instructor, wears one. It's really beautiful and I've been looking at websites that sells them... I know they are not required... I've asked a few older women at my parish, but they've only stated that they used to wear them as a child. Why did the tradition die out? I'll have to see if I can look that up on "Women of Grace" website...
Old Sep 30, '11, 2:01 pm

There only two ladies at my parish who do this. One lady is barely 5 ft tall, she wears a mantilla which seems to entirely engulf her---beautiful thing. She's from Malta, and says it's a tradition there. The other lady wears, well, it looks like a lace doily. Sorry, I don't know the proper term for it. Other than those two, no one else.

I don't wish to veil, however, that's me. I think, it's looks lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic90 View Post

So yeah you will find me in skirts, capris, shorts, tank tops, and flip flops until the snow falls!!
Oh my gosh, Catholic90, you crack me up! Same thing here in Colorado, although we don't get as much snow as you do---it's the dang wind for us. When you're having gusts of 60 mph, it's kinda hard to keep a hat on.
Old Oct 10, '11, 6:56 am

I've started to veil for both forms of the Mass, and have been doing so for every Mass I go to, and have been doing so for just over 6 months now even though I had done it here and there but not extensively until this year.

I would love female head coverings of any kind to return to the Mass as it gives more of an atmosphere of reverence, modesty, and respect that the Mass truly deserves. There are plenty of choices as what one person prefers to wear may be different compared to another: the mantilla, chapel cap, chapel veil, scarves, small dressy hats, berets, tichels, snoods, etc.
Old Oct 13, '11, 1:08 am

I've been thinking about it for a few months now, since I found some info that said the wearing of veils is still cannon law and has not been changed. I tried wearing one, and I'm pretty sure the priest scoffed when i went to take communion.

I'm still praying/thinking about it. The biggest drive for me is it is an outward sign that might get other women thinking abotu what they're wearing to Mass. [maybe a few chaps too].

My biggest problem is I don't know where to get many, I got one in Europe when I was over there for WYD and I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to do it up!!
Old Oct 13, '11, 9:13 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy in Burien View Post
I was reared in the era of the chapel veil and hats for women at church. About four years ago, I made a veil for myself to wear to the OF at my parish. For the past two years (anniversary on 26 Sep 2011), I have been a member of a TLM parish, and wear a veil for all Masses. Most of the women in the parish do, although not all. It is a personal choice, but I have always felt better wearing a veil at Mass. Reminds me of Whose Authority I am under.
Quote:
Reminds me of Whose Authority I am under.
I remember growing up as a kid in the Latin Mass and it wasn't until the mid to later 1960's before most woman chose not to wear them. I must say being a man its the best statement I ever heard about a woman choosing to keep the beautiful respected tradition. Either way I'm OK with it as far as a personal choice for women.

On a sad note though its too bad from a secularized viewpoint that some see the Chapel Veil as a sexiest apparel to keep men from looking at women the wrong way.
I don't think it should symbolize this. It's strictly a Catholic women's personal choice before God. Which is the way it should be no more no less.
Old Oct 13, '11, 9:40 am
Veteran Member

Please consider visiting and joining our social group here on CAF for women who cover: Veiled in Grace

~Liza

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice