Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > No sugar, no carb Catholics

No sugar, no carb Catholics Click here to visit this social group

Old Aug 5, '10, 12:11 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default "Good Snacks"

Just remember this fact, people trying to keep their blood sugar stable, need to eat some kind of a fat with whatever else they eat. The fat stablizes your blood sugar. so:

- celery stuffed w/ almond butter, peanut butter, or cream cheese.
- 1/2 apple w/ full fat cheese ex., cheddar, jack, etc.
- 1/2 apple w/ almond or peanut butter.
- cheese and slices of salami.
- celery, cucumber and carrot sticks w/ full fat ranch or blue cheese dip or dressing (no sugar in dip or dressing).
- slices of roast beef or chicken w/ 5-6 olives.
- 1/2 cup of berries w/ no sugar full fat whipped cream. Use a little. little bit of Tuvia if you need to sweeten whip cream. DO NOT USE ANY FORM OF COOL WHIP!!
- low or no sodium (or a mix of) sunflower seeds in the shell. They keep your hands busy so you don't eat that many.
- When you go to the movies, and everyone else is chomping away on popcorn, you can bring in jerky, and chew that. Look at the labels though, most jerky has sugar, so be careful!! Jack Links regular
is the lowest in carbs that I have found so far.
- handfull of raw almonds-
- 1 Wasa fiber cracker spread w/ real butter, full fat cream cheese, almond butter, or peanut butter.
- 1 Wasa fiber cracker spread with cream cheese and slices of cucumber, (sounds weird, I know, but tastes good), or slices of smoked salmon.
- 1 Wasa fiber cracker spread with cream cheese, and add some blueberries, or sliced strawberries on top
- 1/2 apple, sliced, and sprinkled with plain cinnamon. Have 1 cup whole milk, or some cheese with it.
- If you must to have something that crunches, choose pork rinds instead of chips. There are only two ingredients; pork rinds and salt, no carbs!! ( Just don't go crazy and eat the whole bag!).

You get the idea, a full fat with your snack. Make sure you DO NOT eat anything w/ hydrogenated fat though.

Last edited by tuscany; Sep 20, '10 at 11:13 pm.
Old Sep 20, '10, 4:25 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Christian Believer
Default Re: "Good Snacks"

TZATZIKI

Ingredients

2 cs. Plain, Greek Yogurt or plain yogurt (strain per instructions below if plain yogurt is NOT Greek)
1 large Hothouse or English Cucumber (or 2 medium cukes)
1 tbs. and 1/2 tsp. (Kosher) Salt
Pinch (1/4 tsp.) Fresh Ground Black Pepper
2 tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp. White Wine Vinegar
2 (tbs.) Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice (reconstituted is OK in a pinch)
2 Garlic Cloves, Finely Minced
*Optional to your liking:
2 tsp. Minced Fresh Dill Weed Tops (no stalks)
2 tsp. Minced Fresh Mint Leaves (optional and Instead of Dill)
2 tsp Minced Parsley leaves (optional instead of Dill or Mint)

Directions
If you don't have Greek yogurt, strain plain yogurt by placing it in a cheesecloth or paper towel-lined strainer, set it over a bowl, and refrigerate it for at least one hour, so the liquid drains out.

Peel cucumber(s). Cut in half lengthwise. If not English/hothouse, use a small spoon to scrape out and discard seeds. *Grate the cukes, toss with 1 tbsp. Kosher salt, put it in a strainer, set it over a bowl, and refrigerate for at least one hour, so a lot of the cukes' water drains out.

Put yogurt in a large bowl. Squeeze as much liquid from the cukes as you can; pat dry lightly in a couple of pieces of paper towel to remove more liquid; add it to a small bowl and wisk in vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, dill (or mint, or parsley), 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt, and pepper. Mix together well. Add to yogurt. Mix well. This can be served immediately; however, it is traditionally served after having chilled well and allowing a few hours for the flavors to blend.

* I never grate the cucumbers, I always finely dice them.

Use as a dip for veggies. This is almost always served with Greek foods, Yum!
Old Sep 23, '10, 12:34 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Christian Believer

Some snack ideas I have been using this past week...some may be repeats of earlier post above.

Pumpkin Seeds! - Love them! Keeps my hands busy and takes a while to eat since I crack them carefully.

Jerky - I'm becoming a jerky connoisseur and am trying all different brands and types. (Be sure to keep an eye on the carb count...some are loaded with carbs and very sweet!)

String Cheese! Also, any 1 oz pack of cheese. - I will grab a slice of lunch-meat to wrap around it if I need more protein at that time.

Tuna Salad! - I make up tuna, salmon, chicken, or egg salad and keep it in a little bowl in the fridge and take a few bites for a snack throughout the day. Use full fat Mayo or make your own soy mayo as I do. I sometimes mix the two half and half. You can add a Wasa Fiber Crispbread. Be sure to pile on the salad to keep the ratio of protein/fat higher than the carb of the crispbread.

Tea! - I've started on a tea kick since I notice I don't like my tea as sweet or milky as my coffee. It's a nice trade-off during the day. I put part of a packet of Splenda and a splash of heavy cream into the tea and I'm good to go. If I haven't had carbs that day I will allow myself 1 raw, brown sugar cube for the tea (remember, even if it's raw or brown...sugar is sugar and it's a carb)

Macadamia Nuts! - So I splurged. They are the lowest carb nut but you still must count the carbs that are in there: 1/4 cup is 4 grams carbs and 3 grams fiber...so 1 net carb. I still only eat about 5 at a time and slowly bite into them and savor each morsel.

Peanut Butter! - I bought a small jar of Skippy Natural...it's not any better for diabetics as they still add sugar into the mix. But, I only eat peanut butter occasionally and prefer it on a spoon and take as long as I can s-l-o-w-l-y licking it off, making a game on how long I can make it last. (yes, I do find ways to amuse myself ) You can use any kind of nut butter to play my amusing game!

Use celery or cucumber in place of bread for your 'sandwich salad' fillings. Tuna salad tastes great on a whole celery stick. Salmon salad is wonderful on a cucumber round.

Last edited by tuscany; Sep 23, '10 at 10:51 pm.
Old Sep 23, '10, 6:50 pm
Observing Member

Smile Re: "Good Snacks"

I'm very new at this so if I'm responding out of order, I'm sorry. Regarding your peanut butter snack, have you tried Krema peanut butter? It has only peanuts and nothing else. The oil is separated when you buy it, but I use a table knife to stir it until it's mixed together. Keep in the fridge after that and it won't separate again.:
Old Sep 23, '10, 6:58 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic, former Pentecostal and United Methodist

Question: In one of the earlier forums you mentioned almond butter, is that similar to peanut butter? and where do you find it? I have not found it in the grocery store.
Old Sep 23, '10, 10:45 pm
Prayer Warrior

Almond butter is made, and looks, exactly like peanut butter.

At my regular grocery store, they have the almond butter located in the "health food" section. Make sure your almond or peanut butter is NOT HYDROGENATED though, that stuff is nasty in your body.. Because it is not hydrogenated, you have to stir the oil that is sitting on top, back into the almond or peanut butter. It also then needs to be refrigerated. If the oil should rise to the top again, just stir it back in.
I have also, on occasion, found almond butter at Costco. A health food store would also carry it.

I have to say that I like almond butter (specially the chunky kind), much better than peanut butter.
Old Oct 30, '11, 2:34 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic, former Pentecostal and United Methodist

I love peanut butter, the almond butter that you suggested is great. And now I ran into some cashew butter and that is great also.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > No sugar, no carb Catholics