Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 14, '11, 4:17 pm

Religion: Catholic Roman rite
Question How do you say your rosary? Do you have a special/unique way of saying it?

Hello everyone!
I was wondering if anyone around here had a special/unique way of saying the rosary?
  • Do you add certain prayers before or after it that are not usually said during the rosary?
  • Does your family or parish say it in a unique way
  • Is there a special way you say the three Hail Marys before the start of the mysteries
  • Do you say a different Litany after the rosary that isn't the "Litany of Loreto/Blessed Virgin Mary
  • Do you add any words to the Hail Mary's during the decades
  • Do you add any prayers in between decades besides the Fatima prayer and Glory Be prayer

Thank you in advance for your time. Please only post what you feel comfortable with posting. I hope this helps other people and enrich their own rosaries.
Old Nov 14, '11, 4:25 pm
Banned

Religion: Cradle Catholic - Revert
Default Re: How do you say your rosary? Do you have a special/unique way of saying it?

I have a Scriptural rosary book mailed to me by the National Shrine :

http://www.nationalshrine.com/site/c...asp?ct=6423395

I also have Fr. Groeschel's CDs "The Rosary is a Place". Father comes on EWTN Radio each night at 8.
Old Nov 14, '11, 4:49 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic leaning East
Default Re: How do you say your rosary? Do you have a special/unique way of saying it?

When I do--and it's not often--it's almost always done very quickly--and out of habit, the way of St. Faustina's Chaplet of Divine Mercy.
Old Nov 14, '11, 4:58 pm

Religion: Practicing Catholic

Nope, none of the above. Traditional rosary, no add-ons.
Old Nov 14, '11, 5:38 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollycarp View Post
Nope, none of the above. Traditional rosary, no add-ons.
That's what I do as well, though I'm not opposed to people adding stuff, it's just not what I do.

Though, I do occasionally add the Litanies. I love to say the litanies on their own though, so I can meditate on them more.

Old Nov 14, '11, 6:02 pm

Religion: Orthodox (catechumen)

I always finish the rosary by praying to St Michael. Except from what OP already has mentioned, i do nothing unique in my rosary prayers.
Old Nov 14, '11, 6:15 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic

I use virtual rosary, I like it because you can add prayer requests(worldwide) and it prompts you daily!!!

God bless.
Old Nov 14, '11, 6:24 pm

Religion: Orthodox (catechumen)

Note: that i sometimes do say: Ave Maria purissimo, absque peccato. During the prayers, if i for some reason feel sinful or getting thoughts that can be bad.
Old Nov 14, '11, 7:29 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubertusPA View Post
Hello everyone!
I was wondering if anyone around here had a special/unique way of saying the rosary?
  • Do you add certain prayers before or after it that are not usually said during the rosary?
  • Does your family or parish say it in a unique way
  • Is there a special way you say the three Hail Marys before the start of the mysteries
  • Do you say a different Litany after the rosary that isn't the "Litany of Loreto/Blessed Virgin Mary
  • Do you add any words to the Hail Mary's during the decades
  • Do you add any prayers in between decades besides the Fatima prayer and Glory Be prayer

Thank you in advance for your time. Please only post what you feel comfortable with posting. I hope this helps other people and enrich their own rosaries.
Yes, I do a few things differently I guess.

I start with the sign of the cross of course, then the Apostle's Creed, then the Our Father. Then, for the first three Hail Marys, I offer them for three specific personal intentions close to my heart.

Then I pray the rest of the rosary the usual way (Our Father, 10 Hail Marys, Glory Be, O My Jesus -- all for each decade while meditating on each appropriate mystery). Then I pray the Hail Holy Queen.

After that I pray three additional Hail Marys: one for the Pope and for all religious and clergy and for vocations; one for an end to abortion and child abuse; and one for personal intentions close to my heart.

Then I ask many saints to pray for us: Sts. Joseph, Jude, Anthony, Therese the Little Flower, Maximillian Kolbe, Monica, Augustine, Faustina, John, Peregrine; then Servant of God Elisabeth Leseur and her husband Felix, Blessed JP II, Matt Talbot, Archbishop Fulton Sheen, Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity; then St. Michael and all the saints. (Yes, I have specific reason for asking for the intercession of all the saints I mentioned.) I end with the sign of the cross. Then I simply thank Jesus and Mary for the rosary.
Old Nov 15, '11, 1:48 am

There are a few things that I add. The three Hail Mary's at the beginning of the rosary I say for Faith, Hope, and Charity.

After the rosary, following the Hail Holy Queen, I say the rosary prayer:

Rosary Prayer

O, God, Whose only-begotten Son, by His life, death and resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of
eternal life; grant, we beseech Thee, that, meditating upon these mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary of the
Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through the same
Christ Our Lord. Amen.

May the Divine Assistance remain always with us. And may the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

Then I say a prayer to Saint Michael.
Old Nov 15, '11, 2:37 am
Prayer Warrior

I have been a devotee to the holy souls in purgatory so I include the "Eternal rest grant unto them. . ." after each 'Glory Be", and Fatima prayer " O my Jesus" between the mysteries.

After the Hail Holy Queen and the O God whose only begotten Son,
I also ask for intercession of many saints like St. Joseph, St. John, St. Paul, Sts. Anne and Joachim, St. Francis of Assisi, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Thomas More, St. John Bosco, St. Josemaria Escriva, Blessed John Paul II, Blessed Mother Theresa, St. Dominic Savio, St. Monica, also, Bishop Fulton J. Sheen, Father Patrick Peyton, others.

I end with: Mary Help of Christians, pray for us. (3x), and also
O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee. (3x), then, at one time I realized how hapless are those who have much less regard to our Mother Mary. Since then, I add at the last part: "as well as those who do not have recourse to thee."
Old Nov 15, '11, 7:20 am
Banned

Religion: Cradle Catholic - Revert

EWTN Dish Channel 261 - has an early morning rosary called the Holy Land Rosary - around 6 or 6:30 a.m. M-F.

Fr. Mitch walks through to each site in Jerusalem that corresponds to that decade of the rosary.
Old Nov 15, '11, 11:32 am

It is not that I add anything to the Rosary but I use parts of the Rosary outside the Rosary itself. I use this: Little Meditations on the Mysteries of the Rosary Throughout the Day. Very helpful
Old Nov 15, '11, 11:40 am

Religion: Catholic (duh!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubertusPA View Post
Hello everyone!

I pray along with the Rosary on the local catholic radio station. I'm in a cube environment and have to wear headphones, so know one knows what i'm going.

I conclude the Rosary by praying to God, He put me on this journey for a reason (my wife left me in late August) and that He would be with me in the coming days, weeks, and months to gave me strength & guidance. I also pray that God watches over my son, keep him safe and help him make the right decisions & choices in life.
Old Nov 15, '11, 12:10 pm

Religion: Practicing Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle10 View Post
Yes, I do a few things differently I guess.

Then I ask many saints to pray for us: Sts. Joseph, Jude, Anthony, Therese the Little Flower, Maximillian Kolbe, Monica, Augustine, Faustina, John, Peregrine; then Servant of God Elisabeth Leseur and her husband Felix, Blessed JP II, Matt Talbot, Archbishop Fulton Sheen, Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity; then St. Michael and all the saints. (Yes, I have specific reason for asking for the intercession of all the saints I mentioned.) I end with the sign of the cross. Then I simply thank Jesus and Mary for the rosary.
I forgot to say that I always say the very last Hail Mary as a thank you to Mary.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality