Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Inklings

Inklings Click here to visit this social group

Old Nov 15, '11, 11:07 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Life-changing talk between Lewis and Tolkien

Here's a depiction of the conversation between Lewis and Tolkien as imagined by "The Theater of the Word". Enjoy.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/yimcath...ok-a-walk.html

Tiber Swim Team, Class of '87.

Inklings!

"Sanctum erit, facere bonum" Della's blog: http://dellakmg.blogspot.com/
Old Feb 29, '12, 7:17 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: non- Non-Catholic
Post Re: Life-changing talk between Lewis and Tolkien

This may be a bit random, but watching that video, I was reminded of yet another author: A. A. Milne.

BTW Della, I see your posts have caught up to your lakes.

"Pastoral activity in the Catholic Church, Latin as well as Eastern, no longer aims at having the faithful of one Church pass over to the other"
- the Balamand Statement

Inklings group
Old Feb 29, '12, 9:57 pm
Forum Master

Default Re: Life-changing talk between Lewis and Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
This may be a bit random, but watching that video, I was reminded of yet another author: A. A. Milne.
I'm trying to make the connection between Winnie the Pooh and the video, but am getting nothing. Could you elaborate?

Quote:
BTW Della, I see your posts have caught up to your lakes.
Wow, I hadn't noticed that. Gee, I wonder if it means I spend waaaaaay too much time on the forum....

Inklings!

Old Mar 1, '12, 1:44 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Della View Post
I'm trying to make the connection between Winnie the Pooh and the video, but am getting nothing. Could you elaborate?
A number of years ago, I read some of Milne's writing -- including Winnie the Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner, but also some of his other writings. Anyhow, some of that video, specifically early on, reminded me of one or more of them -- I want to say one essay in particular, but my memory is a little vague after all these years.

"Pastoral activity in the Catholic Church, Latin as well as Eastern, no longer aims at having the faithful of one Church pass over to the other"
- the Balamand Statement

Inklings group
Old Mar 6, '12, 5:09 am
Veteran Member

Oh, it occurred to me last night that the book was called "By Way of Introduction", and was a collection of Milne essays. (I didn't read it straight through but just jumped around.)

- the Balamand Statement

Inklings group
Old Mar 6, '12, 11:44 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Oh, it occurred to me last night that the book was called "By Way of Introduction", and was a collection of Milne essays. (I didn't read it straight through but just jumped around.)
I've never read it, but I'll have to get a copy from the library because you've piqued my interest. Thanks.

Inklings!

Old Mar 6, '12, 3:56 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Della View Post
I've never read it, but I'll have to get a copy from the library because you've piqued my interest. Thanks.
Your welcome. I was actually thinking about trying to find it myself -- it's been about a decade so I don't remember it too well.

- the Balamand Statement

Inklings group
Old Mar 15, '12, 11:24 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Many thanks for posting this link to such an interesting video--I am off to learn more about Kevin O'Brien and his Theatre of the Word. This Patheos website worries me quite a bit--every time I tried to click on info about the site principals Internet Explorer kicked off. The site seems to be religion-supportive, and yet my first impression is there is much underlying criticism, and perhaps even atheism. Anybody else get that funny feeling?
I tried to find the reference in Surprised by Joy, but can't--in fact, shortly after Lewis' description of returning to God and prayer in 1929 and referring to himself as a Theist (p228-230), he writes:
"I was driven to Whipsnade one sunny morning. When we set out I did not believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and when we reached the zoo I did." For whatever reason, he does not explain any further. I recommend the book very highly, and I have great admiration for the brilliance, the honesty, and the sustained evangelization of Lewis, but this is one of a number of instances where his lack of explanation puzzles and concerns me.
Please help me find whatever passage(s) I'm missing.
Old Mar 15, '12, 12:20 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschator83 View Post
Many thanks for posting this link to such an interesting video--I am off to learn more about Kevin O'Brien and his Theatre of the Word.
They're doing a credible job--better than many others of their type.

Quote:
This Patheos website worries me quite a bit--every time I tried to click on info about the site principals Internet Explorer kicked off. The site seems to be religion-supportive, and yet my first impression is there is much underlying criticism, and perhaps even atheism. Anybody else get that funny feeling?
I wish I could help you with this problem. Is it the browser you're having trouble with? I find IE basically ok, but not as reliable as they should be. I use firefox more for that reason.

Quote:
I tried to find the reference in Surprised by Joy, but can't--in fact, shortly after Lewis' description of returning to God and prayer in 1929 and referring to himself as a Theist (p228-230), he writes:
"I was driven to Whipsnade one sunny morning. When we set out I did not believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and when we reached the zoo I did." For whatever reason, he does not explain any further. I recommend the book very highly, and I have great admiration for the brilliance, the honesty, and the sustained evangelization of Lewis, but this is one of a number of instances where his lack of explanation puzzles and concerns me.
Please help me find whatever passage(s) I'm missing.
It seems to me he means he mulled through all the objections to Jesus' Messiahship that he had struggled with since a boy. Perhaps something said by Barfield or Tolkien finally clicked in his head or maybe he simply "dove in" and decided to trust the Christian story, we may never know. He must have had his reasons for not going into detail. Perhaps it was just too personal for him to relay. He does give us hints in his other writings as to why he came to conversion. I guess we'd have to go by those to come close.

Inklings!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Inklings