Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > CA Book Club: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 28, '11, 5:32 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Seek That Which is above

A discussion on the book of meditations Seek That Which is Above by Pope Benedict XVI has just started in the Catholic Book Club Group. Pop by and take a look, you might like what you see..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seekthatwhichisabove.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	12023  
Old Nov 1, '11, 10:37 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Default Re: Seek That Which is above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee S View Post
A discussion on the book of meditations Seek That Which is Above by Pope Benedict XVI has just started in the Catholic Book Club Group. Pop by and take a look, you might like what you see..
The original book club got 'lost'...in order to take a look or join, please search GROUPS using 'Catholic Book Club'; two groups will appear; click on Catholic Book Club.

Desertsister runs the group, so just click on her name and ask her about joining on her message wall.

Looking forward to any comments or input on this discussion. Thanks!

Last edited by Dee S; Nov 1, '11 at 10:39 pm. Reason: change text
Old Nov 5, '11, 11:36 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Default Foreword and Prefact to Seek That Which is Above

FOREWORD
The election of Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger to the
papacy in April of 2005 was a double blessing for
the Church. Not only was the Church given a wise
and faithful successor to John Paul II, but she was
also given all the past fruits of the prayer, reflection
and scholarship of Father, then Cardinal, Joseph
Ratzinger.
Interest in his writings has become much more
widespread. Now more and more people are
discovering the beauty and depth of his previous
works.
The re-issuing of Seek That Which Is Above will
hopefully let this book find an even wider audience
and bear even greater fruit.
Joseph D. Fessio, S. J.
Feast of the Presentation
February 2, 2007

PREFACE TO THE
FIRST EDITION
In this small book, at the kind invitation of Herder
Verlag, I am setting before the public a number of
addresses that date from my preaching activity in
Munich. The bulk of them were sermons and
meditations for Easter; to them I have added short
radio talks, which were broadcast on various
occasions, both ecclesiastical and secular. As a
result, there is inevitably a certain amount of
repetition and overlapping, but this may help to
reinforce and deepen the same thought from
different sides and perspectives. Even then,
compared with the magnitude of the issues raised,
what I have said here is only fragmentary. I hope,
however, that the very incompleteness and
fragmentary nature of these pieces may encourage
the reader to pursue his own thought and action
along the same path.

Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger
Feast of the Assumption of Mary
Rome, 1984
Old Nov 21, '11, 6:33 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

We have completed our reflections on the first four chapters that deal with Advent.

There will be something of a 'pause' now as life gets busier with the upcoming holidays etc.
The next reflection deals with Candlemas, so we don't feel rushed to go into that just yet.

Newcomers can take this opportunity to join our group Catholic Book Club and still have plenty of time to post their reflections on Pope Benedict's four meditations for Advent.
Old Nov 21, '11, 6:35 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee S View Post
The original book club got 'lost'...in order to take a look or join, please search GROUPS using books, or 'Catholic Book Club'; click on Catholic Book Club.

Desertsister runs the group, so just click on her name and ask her about joining on her message wall.

Looking forward to any comments or input on this discussion. Thanks!
Old Mar 3, '12, 9:56 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

If you would like to view these discussions/reflections please click on the following link

http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=763

New members welcome, please contact the group leader to apply. Always looking for new points of view and contributions to our discussions
Old Mar 7, '12, 3:36 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Thanks for your patience, Dee, I am on my way to the other site, and praying others will follow.
Old Mar 7, '12, 4:56 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschator83 View Post
Thanks for your patience, Dee, I am on my way to the other site, and praying others will follow.
Kind of you to say so, look forward to seeing you there.

P.S. APOLOGIES - The group Catholic Book Club is a 'moderated' one, so the threads which contain discussions on this book will not be available to see unless one joins the group.

Last edited by Dee S; Mar 7, '12 at 5:05 pm. Reason: correction
Old Mar 13, '12, 7:36 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Is it a reasonable guess that this Book Club in the forum is being closed, with a new similar Club opened in the Group category, perhaps because the nature of a "club" seems more like a group than a forum?
Of course I accept the will of the powers that be, but I think there is a lot of value in many of the comments here, and I hate to see them get lost. It makes me wonder why these threads weren't transferred to the new group? Especially book reviews, which I think are just as interesting and helpful when they are old as they are new--in fact, I think more helpful because all available data in an old review is immediately available.
Finally, I wonder if anyone objects to people making further comments to some of the reviews here, whether or not they get ever transfered to the Book Club Group?
Old Mar 14, '12, 3:04 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschator83 View Post
Is it a reasonable guess that this Book Club in the forum is being closed, with a new similar Club opened in the Group category, perhaps because the nature of a "club" seems more like a group than a forum?
Of course I accept the will of the powers that be, but I think there is a lot of value in many of the comments here, and I hate to see them get lost. It makes me wonder why these threads weren't transferred to the new group? Especially book reviews, which I think are just as interesting and helpful when they are old as they are new--in fact, I think more helpful because all available data in an old review is immediately available.
Finally, I wonder if anyone objects to people making further comments to some of the reviews here, whether or not they get ever transfered to the Book Club Group?
Interesting observations...I'm still trying to work out the where's and why's myself.

Yes, I agree there is a lot of value in many comments in this forum.Seems the use of threads is too individual to lend itself to any type of group work.

There are other groups that discuss books, but I have not had a chance to look into them. I joined The Catholic Book Club Group run by DesertSister http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=763.

In this group, members vote on which book they would like to discuss/reflect on, then obtain a copy and commence on a fixed date.

So far, we are still working through Seek That Which is Above, as it's meditations cover a year. There is no reason why, if we have enough members, to add another book or two in the threads of that group, so that several books can be discussed at the same time.(perhaps that's why the threads on the forum work better?)
Old Mar 14, '12, 9:15 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Thank you, Dee, for your comments, I'm more or less cheerfully reviewing the comments here on Jesus of Nazareth--I haven't found many other discussions (not in catholic.com nor other sites). It is loaded with concepts I'd like to understand better.
I plan to get Seek That Which is Above and to follow this current discussion.
It worries me that discussion of The Lambs Supper here is almost invisible (or, hard to find) for the casual reader. I hope you will consider (going forward) opening a new thread for each new book you start, if you're interested in sharing comments with additional readers.
I'm very disappointed that the general forum volume has fallen off so abruptly--do you think it could be because of the general format change and the change in terminology on the home page from forum to discussion has made many members think the forums were discontinued? Are they discontinued? Is that why Desert Sister refers to losing the forum club?
In the past, the forum book club had much more discussion of books than any of the book review groups I've looked at. Do you know what's going on? I'm hoping the forum members who had interest in CS Lewis will come to the Inklings Group, or the one called Kreeft, Chesterton, Lewis (or something like that).
Old Mar 15, '12, 4:20 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I'm happy that you are a member of the Catholic Book Club Group now. Welcome

I've only been a member here at CAF since September 2011, so am not sure how things used to work in this area.

Groups seem to come and go, depending on the interest at the time. I know someone who really enjoyed the Inklings group, but says it sort of 'petered out'.

I am not the group leader of the present book club, so any ideas you have can be discussed with FootStool or raise them on the group wall now that you have joined.

I like the idea of developing the forum at our group to include threads on several books as you suggest...but looking at this main forum.....makes me wonder? Not many threads posted this year, and threads from last year do not look well subscribed.

Nevertheless, I think you are onto something Perhaps in a group setting, this would work well, as it will enliven us to talk and share our thoughts on other books we have read and have in common.

This will give us something to do in between posts on the current book under discussion at present.

Which book do you have in mind?
Old Mar 17, '12, 12:22 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Send a message via AIM to DesertSister62

Quote:

Eschator said;
I'm very disappointed that the general forum volume has fallen off so abruptly--do you think it could be because of the general format change and the change in terminology on the home page from forum to discussion has made many members think the forums were discontinued? Are they discontinued? Is that why Desert Sister refers to losing the forum club?

Hi "eschator83!"

I have been away from the computer for several days so I just this evening found this thread that Dee S put up. Great idea, Dee!

However, I think there is a misunderstanding in regards to the different Forum "Book Clubs." I was never one of the leaders in the Forum Book Clubs. As to the Forum book clubs survival, I think that part of what has happened is that many of the people here are much more stressed over the economic situation and how it is affecting their families, and much of the "extra" time that we used to be able to spend in reading, has been done away with through the necessity of being needed elsewhere.

On my group page, it says that we "lost" our original book club. That is because the person that created the club in the beginning was dismissed, or whatever they call it, and when that happened, the group literally disappeared. It was at this point that I stepped forward (with much support!) and created the new "Catholic Book Club group," and we began to to choose books etc.

Personally, I am enjoying our little group the "Catholic Book Club!" But even it has been affected by whether or not the few active members wish to jump in and take part. More often than not, the new members prefer to allow the active members to do all the work, while they sit back and enjoy. The main problem with that the more members that contribute, the more interesting the discussion is!

Please feel free to jump in and join the discussions, "eschator83!" We would love to have another enthusiastic member!

DesertSister62

Last edited by DesertSister62; Mar 17, '12 at 12:38 am.
Old Mar 30, '12, 2:48 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Default Re: Seek that Which Is Above

I am very sorry to be so slow following this thread--there are many (all poor excuses) reasons.
There is a link to follow (in post #6--if I could remember it I would repeat it here) for the continuing discussion of Seek that Which Is Above, meditations of Pope Benedict XVI.
The discussion of his Jesus of Nazareth volumes has ended here, although if you search the forum there are other threads on this book that I think are also very interesting.
Part of my delay is that I got the Magnificat book, Benedictus, several years ago which offers day-by-day the Pope's meditations, but I couldn't recall the title and also couldn't find it until today. It has been at least as much a challenge for me to read Bendictus as it was to read Jesus of Nazareth--primarily because I keep having the feeling that there is enormous value in both books that I need to focus on better in order to understand.
While I'm here, and waiting to get my order of Seek that Which is Above, may I point out to any reader who follows here the Benedictus meditation for today, 3/30--Christ the Burning Fire. I think this issue may be very near the core of our faith--is our search primarily for Love-Goodness, or Truth-Understanding, or Salvation-Purification-Paradise, or all of them, and does God demand our attainment or will He accept the sincerity of our search? If anybody had thoughts and encouragement on today's meditation, or on the Benedictus, while we're on out way to Seek that Which Is Above, I'd love to hear your comment.
Old May 9, '12, 1:29 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Hi Eschator, believe it or not, i'm slower than you at replying. My apologies, not that I have not read your post, I have, several times. I did take a look at the book you recommended, Benedictus. I would love to get it. I have a birthday coming up soon, July 13, so will treat myself. Did you get around to obtaining Seek That Which is Above?

Please join us on the Book Club, as we have to hold the fort for a while due to the group leader, DesertSister62, having had a tragedy in her family. Her son, David, was killed by a corrupt policeman in his own backyard (the FBI are investigating) and leaves a wife and four young sons behind.

I started a prayer thread for her and the family, which can be found at the following link, if anyone would like to post there:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthrea...63#post9274863

Perhaps you could tell us a little about Benedictus there, or any other of the Holy Fther's books that you may have or have read. I'm not always online, so please be patient if you do post, I will eventually get back there to reply. All the best..

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > CA Book Club: 2014