Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 30, '10, 8:10 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Catholic radio around Pittsburgh Pa.

Apparently they don't have a website yet... I do a search for one at least 3 times a week. They are doing their own programming...no EWTN affiliation so far. Programming consists of Mass, prayers, and occasional talks by Bishop Brandt of Greensburg...and lots of classical religious music. I hope the programming improves. I am pretty dissappointed so far. I love Mass and prayers, don't get me wrong, but that's not what I was hoping for on the radio... I go to Church for Mass, and have plenty of opportunity for prayer. What I was really hoping for was programming like Catholic Answers Live and Kresta in the Afternoon, or some of the programs offered by Relevant Radio. Although the station owners live in the Greensburg diocese, they have so much to draw from given their proximity to Pittsburgh (the transmitters are actually located within the Pittsburgh Diocese). We'll see how things progress over the summer. I am always hopeful!

Last edited by Diana; May 30, '10 at 8:12 pm. Reason: Typographical error/misspelling
Old May 30, '10, 8:16 pm

yes, I agree. I was hoping for more than prayers and music (both of which are great, but don't make for great radio necessarily). On this clip, supposedly ewtn offers their programming for free. I don't know why they don't pick it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqpQj...layer_embedded

And yes, the signal is strong. I listened on 79 even up to grove city and past mercer ( I can't remember which of the stations it was)
Old Jun 3, '10, 12:40 pm

You may have read this:

http://catholicwifiradio.wordpress.com/2010/03/
Old Aug 29, '10, 7:00 pm
Observing Member

Smile Re: Catholic radio around Pittsburgh Pa.

I am new to this site and wanted to post about Catholic radio around Pittsburgh, my name is Sara and I live in the northern part of the burgh I've been raised around Catholic/Christian talk radio my entire life and right now a stay home Mom and love it !!!!!!!
So I have some time to search the dial for Christian programming, for starters I am amazed of the filth that I find around the dial AM/FM since WZUM has gone dark, sports talk all day/night, talk show hosts who shouldn't be, and the music !!! but enough of that
My husband and I were at a flee market early spring and came across a vendor who was selling radios, we purchased 2 they are the GE Super Radio II the reception on these radios is great !!!!! I can tune in on the AM side WFRD 880, WHKW 1220 and if its to badly garbled I move the needle down to 1440 and get the same programing, when I have time in the evening hours I can tune WVKO 1580, WYLL 1160, on the FM side I go right to WFRJ 88.9 these radios are AMAZING for the reception they have have
I thought I would share this info with everyone who enjoys good family programing

Sara
Old Aug 31, '10, 12:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkRadioSara View Post
I am new to this site and wanted to post about Catholic radio around Pittsburgh, my name is Sara and I live in the northern part of the burgh I've been raised around Catholic/Christian talk radio my entire life and right now a stay home Mom and love it !!!!!!!
So I have some time to search the dial for Christian programming, for starters I am amazed of the filth that I find around the dial AM/FM since WZUM has gone dark, sports talk all day/night, talk show hosts who shouldn't be, and the music !!! but enough of that
My husband and I were at a flee market early spring and came across a vendor who was selling radios, we purchased 2 they are the GE Super Radio II the reception on these radios is great !!!!! I can tune in on the AM side WFRD 880, WHKW 1220 and if its to badly garbled I move the needle down to 1440 and get the same programing, when I have time in the evening hours I can tune WVKO 1580, WYLL 1160, on the FM side I go right to WFRJ 88.9 these radios are AMAZING for the reception they have have
I thought I would share this info with everyone who enjoys good family programing

Sara
Interesting you get 2 of our stations out of Columbus. 880 am is a daytime only station. They advertize they cover 80 of the 88 counties in OH. I think it's a 50,000 watt station. 1580 am is my favorite since it's our local Catholic radio station http://stgabrielradio.com/ They have a good crew running the station with good local programming.
Old Sep 1, '10, 5:39 pm
Observing Member

Default 880 am

Hello pelerin, yes 880 does come in here, at times with interference as 1580 at times also I usually tune in around 8 or 9 am, as I mentioned in my previous post I use the GE Super Radio 2 unbelievable am reception and in the northern suburbs where we are located am reception is great.
Sunday mornings from 10:00 am till 12pm on station 560 WFRB, this station is in Frostburg MD they have the "Jesus Christ Show " christian talk radio I tune in every Sunday

Sara
Old Nov 23, '11, 10:40 am
Observing Member

I love the new station WAOB, it has led me to more frequent prayer (because they program Mass, Rosary, Divine Mercy Chaplet, and the Liturgy of the Hours). The programming is slowly improving, although it takes some getting used to (if you were used to WZUM's Relevant Radio).

I loved WZUM and was sorry to see it go. I think they had stretched their reach too far (they are a midwest group.)

WAOB has many more watts than WZUM did and is on both FM and AM, so that is a huge benefit to Pittsburgh!

WAOB is more prayerful, current and keeps one in touch with the bishops that are frequently sharing their reflections.

WZUM, Relevant Radio, is a totally different format that seems to be more focused upon catechesis, child-rearing, and the cultural battle/issues of the day.

I wish we had both formats in Pittsburgh, but I am greatly thankful for WAOB and I think it has been a greater benefit to me, personally, and my family!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)