Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 28, '11, 2:55 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Advent questions

I'm a newly returning cradle Catholic - reading through this site it seems I only remember the things of a child. So please forgive me if I word things wrong in my ignorance.

Can some of you explain how you honor God, Jesus, & Holy Spirit daily during Advent?

It is the celebration of the coming of the Baby Jesus -- and then what? Where is your heart when you light the candle? Do you pray while it burns or read the bible?

ty
Old Nov 28, '11, 3:08 pm

Default Re: Advent questions

you may want to check out

http://divineoffice.org/

peace
Old Nov 28, '11, 3:13 pm

Thank you!
Old Nov 28, '11, 4:35 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

We certainly look forward to celebrating the birth of Our Lord, his first Advent (first coming) but you will find the sermons in the Masses and the readings in the Liturgy of the Hours, for instance, focus on us looking forward to the second Advent (second coming) of Our Lord, Jesus Christ.

Advent can be regarded as a little Lent. You can honour God by giving up something you enjoy (foods, drinks) or maybe actually doing something extra in order to please God (for example; good works, extra prayers such as the rosary, read the Gospels). In the past the fasts and sacrifices during Advent could be quite a trial.

We only have the Advent candles on at Church during Mass.

Do any of you burn Advent candles at your homes?

Come Lord Jesus!
---God may be calling you to the Third Order of St Francis - Ordo Franciscanus Saecularis---
Old Nov 29, '11, 5:29 am

Yes, I bought little Advent Wreath and candles -- it was so small that the first candle burned down in an hour! Now the wreath looks like it has and empty hole in it. But thank you for the info. I'm going to be taking a Catechism class in Jan for returning Catholics -- and I spoke with the Father of my parish once. Still have to track down my Baptismal Certificate to officially join.

Small steps; hope and faith.
Old Dec 1, '11, 4:24 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Advent is a time for preparation of the coming of Christ and His eventual Second Coming.

What many do during this time is they increase their prayer life, fast, go to confession and meditate on God becoming human for our salvation and to restore humanity.
Old Dec 1, '11, 7:38 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

a good way to make an advent wreath is to buy a real or artificial evergreen wreath, with the candles that come in glass jars, one pink, 3 purple. Or you can use white pillar candles in jars, and make bows for them in the appropriate color. The candles burn slower and safer, and can be reused year after year until they are gone. I like the smell of real, but you can keep and reuse an artificial wreath also. If the wreath has holly sprigs that is good, as they represent the crown of thorns and blood Christ shed for us. Some people add a white or gold "Christ candle" on Christmas eve and use it during the rest of the Christmas season.

google "Advent Wreath Prayers Catholic", or download free prayers from Catholic textbook publishers such as www.loyolapress.com or www.sadlier.com.

you can also find a devotional such as Word Among Us www.wau.org that has a meditation on the readings for each day of Advent

meditating on the mysteries of the Rosary, especially the joyful mysteries, including re-reading the scriptures associated with them, is another great way to pray.
Old Dec 1, '11, 9:40 am

Quote:
Where is your heart when you light the candle? Do you pray while it burns or read the bible?
I have a small book of Advent meditations written by a Jesuit priest (my parish offered them for free a couple of weeks ago), and I use the daily Advent wreath prayers here. Basically, my husband and I take turns---one of us will light the candle while saying the daily prayer, and then the other will read the meditation while the candle burns.

I love my Advent wreath. It's a wonderful way to keep the true meaning of Christmas at the front of our minds and hearts amid the craziness of the season.
Old Dec 1, '11, 9:49 am

Great thread and answers some of my own questions. Thank you guys.

http://convertconvent.blogspot.com
Old Dec 5, '11, 1:17 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

and great links, articles and ideals on catholic.org
http://www.catholic.org/clife/advent/
Old Dec 5, '11, 6:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresara View Post
I'm a newly returning cradle Catholic - reading through this site it seems I only remember the things of a child. So please forgive me if I word things wrong in my ignorance.

Can some of you explain how you honor God, Jesus, & Holy Spirit daily during Advent?

It is the celebration of the coming of the Baby Jesus -- and then what? Where is your heart when you light the candle? Do you pray while it burns or read the bible?

ty
We have an Advent wreath and read devotions in the morning from Advent and Christmas Wisdom from St. Francis of Assisi.
http://www.aquinasandmore.com/cathol...9/imagesize/lg

Also, one year when my son was younger we did a Jesse tree.
http://www.catholicculture.org/cultu...iew.cfm?id=545

He is older now. A teen and so doing an Jesse Tree would be a little young for him but we do read the Bible verses that go along with the tree, every afternoon.

For myself, and I am not doing a very good job, I am reading Imitation of Christ.

Sue

"O unfathomable depth! O Deity eternal! O deep ocean! What more could You give me than to give me Yourself?" St. Catherine of Siena

It will be she (Mary) who makes the soul live incessantly for Jesus Christ, and will make Jesus live in the soul” St. Louis de Montfort
Old Dec 6, '11, 1:10 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

WE've added a few new traditions over the years and are always looking for new! Our two newest are the Jesus Manger and the Jesse Tree ... check out our blog for how we've incorporated them into our family ... http://www.kelloggshow.com/2011/12/the-jesse-tree/

Susie
Old Dec 7, '11, 5:45 pm

Great ideas here. I can remember a time when I didn't know many traditions for Advent, but home schooling and reading good books has helped me to learn so much to treasure. We have some Christmas traditions on our website that have been submitted by visitors from around the world. We also have a free printable Advent calendar if you have little ones or would like to share with family and friends who have little ones. Our family dearly loves saying the Saint Andrew Prayer. There are printable holy cards at the middle of our Saint Andrew page.

A happy and holy Advent to all,

Mary
Old Dec 14, '11, 3:08 pm

Religion: Hard Core Catholic

For my family and me this is our second year of truly observing Advent. It is the 14th of December, and we have not put up our Christmas tree yet. I have a brass Advent candle ring for taper candles, and have added greenery and corresponding colored ribbons. The candles only last for one season, but that's okay. We use a small Advent book that guides us through the candle lighting and prayers. We light appropriate candles only at night, and keep them burning just during our readings, songs and prayers. It takes about 20 minutes total. We have the beginning of our manger scene set up, with only Mary and Joseph. On Christmas Eve we'll add the baby Jesus, and the animals and the shepherd, and finally adding the 3 wise men on the Ephiphany. In our Advent guide it explains traditional ways to celebrate the season. It suggests setting up the wreath where the Christmas tree will be. We have had such a WONDERFUL Advent season these past two years. It's really drawn us into the season, and helped us not get caught up in all of the commericalism of excessive gift giving.

Also; to the poster who is trying to read "Imitation of Christ". Take your time and truly enjoy it. It's one of my absolute favorites!! I actually keep it with me all the time. Don't rush through it. It's very contemplative.

God Bless.
Old Dec 14, '11, 4:55 pm

Religion: Traditional Catholic

Our household fasts for Advent. I believe many Eastern rites still observe Advent fasts also.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism