Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 8, '11, 9:54 pm

Religion: agnostic w/ catholic leanings
Default Good for nothing

http://www.catholicleague.org/adopt-...mpaign-begins/

Good for nothing?

I'm trying to sort this out now. If anyone here can explain this to me, please try.

I've never thought of any human being as good for nothing. I don't even see a basis for this belief in the CCC.

Maybe I missed it.

Strawberry Fields Forever
Old Dec 8, '11, 10:37 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: joyfully Catholic
Default Re: Good for nothing

I agree. That's an appalling statement. And unChristian

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church

2318 "In [God's] hand is the life of every living thing and the breath of all mankind" (Job 12:10).

2319 Every human life, from the moment of conception until death, is sacred because the human person has been willed for its own sake in the image and likeness of the living and holy God.
as if each person is the only loved one.
JESUS please welcome each person with love, healing, and great joy!
Thank You JESUS

Mother Mary at the wedding feast of Cana (John 2:1-12)
though JESUS protested it was not yet time for miracles
you successfully interceded with Him for a family's temporal need
please now intercede with your divine Son
for each person's temporal and spiritual needs.
Thank you Mother

JESUS please grant our prayer for this person

Catechism of the Catholic Church http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM
Old Dec 8, '11, 10:38 pm

Religion: agnostic w/ catholic leanings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishie View Post
I agree. That's an appalling statement. And unChristian
I am glad to see you Trishie, and hope you had a good Thanksgiving and are preparing for the birth of the King.

Strawberry Fields Forever
Old Dec 9, '11, 12:36 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Religion: One. Holy. Catholic. Apostolic.

The article does not say just who has this attitude, only that it happens. I think we are missing some tongue in cheek here - like the entire article, for example...
Old Dec 9, '11, 12:52 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: joyfully Catholic

I've a good sense of humour and no I don't see that in the article or statement.
Aussies are very good at 'tongue-in-cheek! I'm open to nuances but just don't see it there. At the most it would appear the person was being glib, enjoying the words, but
it should never have been said or quoted on a Catholic website. "As an added bonus, they [atheists] will no longer be looked upon as people who “believe in nothing, stand for nothing and are good for nothing.” Even had that last phrase been a joke it is still unChristian and unCatholic, and is easily taken as a reflection that Catholics do not believe what the Catechism teaches, the every person is sacred (as quoted from the Catechism in my previous post)

...but you're an angel, Jim
as if each person is the only loved one.
JESUS please welcome each person with love, healing, and great joy!
Thank You JESUS

Mother Mary at the wedding feast of Cana (John 2:1-12)
though JESUS protested it was not yet time for miracles
you successfully interceded with Him for a family's temporal need
please now intercede with your divine Son
for each person's temporal and spiritual needs.
Thank you Mother

JESUS please grant our prayer for this person

Catechism of the Catholic Church http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

Last edited by Trishie; Dec 9, '11 at 1:05 am.
Old Dec 9, '11, 1:57 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Last evening I was talking with an old friend,in fact,a old girlfriend from 30 years ago. We have not seen each other since. She are retired due to mental illness now and I saw that she was not "normal" at all. What ever I did say was against her,in her own mind. And she wanted more then just a cup of coffee. I am am "madly" in love with a 27 years old woman from Germany,close to me,and we will get married some day soon. The fact that I am 51 does not bother her. But talking to my x from so long ago made me think. She thinks she is not good for nothing. In human eyes that may well be so,not my thing to say a word about that,She hates the RCC and the mood she was in was not the right to defend the Church. But I am sure that she is good for something. Nobody here is good for nothing in God's eyes,and that give us all hope.
Old Dec 9, '11, 1:57 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

Quote:
I've a good sense of humour and no I don't see that in the article or statement.
Aussies are very good at 'tongue-in-cheek! I'm open to nuances but just don't see it there. At the most it would appear the person was being glib, enjoying the words, but
it should never have been said or quoted on a Catholic website. "As an added bonus, they [atheists] will no longer be looked upon as people who “believe in nothing, stand for nothing and are good for nothing.” Even had that last phrase been a joke it is still unChristian and unCatholic, and is easily taken as a reflection that Catholics do not believe what the Catechism teaches, the every person is sacred (as quoted from the Catechism in my previous post)

G'day, sis! Sounds rather like dinkum oil to me.

p.s. don't say that only because you were prayed for before the Blessed Sacrament last evening!
Old Dec 9, '11, 3:55 am
Banned

Religion: Christian

Actually I find the whole article offensive (and no I'm not Atheist), lets just hope Atheists don't read it, but they wouldn't be anyway would they. this is like talking derogatory about a group of people behind their backs,

like adopt a pet, he does not know he homeless.
Old Dec 9, '11, 4:32 am

Religion: Catholic
Smile Re: Good for nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely guy View Post
Last evening I was talking with an old friend,in fact,a old girlfriend from 30 years ago. We have not seen each other since. She are retired due to mental illness now and I saw that she was not "normal" at all. What ever I did say was against her,in her own mind. And she wanted more then just a cup of coffee. I am am "madly" in love with a 27 years old woman from Germany,close to me,and we will get married some day soon. The fact that I am 51 does not bother her. But talking to my x from so long ago made me think. She thinks she is not good for nothing. In human eyes that may well be so,not my thing to say a word about that,She hates the RCC and the mood she was in was not the right to defend the Church. But I am sure that she is good for something. Nobody here is good for nothing in God's eyes,and that give us all hope.
You are totally correct and when push comes to shove;our greatest worth is that Christ Jesus loved each and every individual that He died for us.We all have been bought and paid for--hence why we need to make the effort to reach out (even by our prayers & offering our sufferings,through,with and in Christ) to those, who like your X have strayed or those who are unchurched.

Quote from the starting thread Link.
"If we hurry, these closeted Christians can celebrate Christmas like the rest of us. As an added bonus, they will no longer be looked upon as people who “believe in nothing, stand for nothing and are good for nothing.”

I suppose they are sort of throw away lines and not to be taken literally(at least I hope that they were!)
I remember years again there was a philosophical "logical" line, something like this "If you know nothing--therefore it means that you know something"

St.Maximilian Kolbe ,when he was a ten year boy,took it to heart when his mother in a fit of impatience said to him a similar thing "what will become of you,Raymond?"

I recall a Marist Brother saying "I have taught you all that I know--and you still know nothing"! another line "teaching you kids is like throwing real pearls at real swine'!!

Now ,as an adult,I am surprised that a learned person like Strawberryjam has taken this literally.Even from a philosophical approach this can be turned around--example.

Believe in nothing? --therefore ---You will believe in anything!! (G.K.Chesterton's line--a person who believes in nothing will believe in everything)

Stand for nothing? therefore---- You fall for everything!(my line!)

Good for nothing?therefore ---- ???????( I could not think a good retort on this!)

Here is a defintition of nihilism(total rejection of a belief system) ----to consider life---"a tale told by an idiot,full of sound and fury,signifying nothing"

Mahatma Gandhi warned us "to guard against science without humanity;politics without principal;knowledge without character;wealth without work;commerce without morality;pleasure without conscience and worship without sacrifice"
Old Dec 9, '11, 1:21 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:

Funny when I read the article I did see it as kind of tongue-in-cheek. The whole thing--the tone of it all--helping "closet" Christians discover themselves and all. It seemed a tongue-in-cheek response to helping "closet" athiests discover themselves.

Peace,
Mark
Old Dec 9, '11, 1:35 pm

Religion: Atheist

I don't like the underlying tone. On the surface it may seem to be a bit tongue in cheek, but I think supplying the emails of atheist organizations and encouraging people to email them offering to ''adopt'' them, smacks of a harrasment campaign, and could be seen a incredibly offensive to some. But having never heard of this guy, and having looked up some stuff on him, I doubt very much he could care less! Oh, and nice salary too Bill by the way - for orchastrating harrassment campaigns!!! Seems like there's pretty good money in religion.... for some!!!

Sarah x
Struggle and conflict is neither good nor bad, it just is. Everything that grows experiences conflict. Conflict precedes clarity. Everything has the seasons of growth. Recognize - acknowledge - forgive and change. All of these things are done through conflict.
Old Dec 9, '11, 2:04 pm

Argh... what a horrible article. If it was tongue-in-cheek they are making light of a serious subject. It's just horrendous.

I am thinking, though, that the "good for nothing" comment is referring to the Atheist campaign to "just be good for goodness sake" (and not b/c there's a God). If there is not God, then they are (being) good for nothing (but goodness's own sake).

The "finding the Christian within"-type comments I can sort-of relate to b/c, like "the Gentiles, having not the law, but doing the works of the law, are a law unto themselves", there are Atheists who seem to be good Christians (in conduct, morality, etc..), and sometimes it's just a matter of making them see that their beliefs in those things already gives credibility to Christianity. Often, I believe, it isn't Christ that the professing Atheist has trouble with, but the lack of good, believable Christian witness today. Not always, but often....

Still think it's a horrible article though.
Old Dec 9, '11, 2:41 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member

The Onion would have gotten away with it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics