Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 14, '11, 10:29 am
Host, Catholic Answers Live

Religion: Happy Catholic
Default Re: Patrick Coffin on Q and A

Gets me...sniff...right here.
Old Dec 14, '11, 11:01 am

Religion: Roman Catholic (Oblate of St Benedict-MotRC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Coffin View Post
Gets me...sniff...right here.
I'm pretty sure that's the bean burrito and fries that you had for lunch.

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Mar 21, '12, 11:01 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

I think this was Monday's show (3-19-12):

I'd like to extend my congratulatoins and gratitude to Patrick for a very well-run show. I forget who the guest was, but one hour --probably the first-- was on sin. Also, yesterday, I believe, there was an hour on celibacy, I think. In both cases the show moved efficiently, and it appeared that the call-screeners were making a focused effort on getting the caller to begin with, "My question is...." or "My comment is...."

Hey, good training!

I think I even heard one caller kind of chuckle as he began the formula, as if he was quite aware of The Drill, and had "undergone training," LOL.

On the Monday show I loved the way Patrick handled the, um, interesting comment about not going to confession any more because of 'things that were heard on the news.'

Or maybe both hours were the same day; I usually can only listen to the encore, so sorry if I got sequences, dates wrong. But my point is that I noticed a real difference in the efficiency. Good job! (I always like Patrick's witty remarks anyway.)
Old Mar 22, '12, 2:38 am

Religion: Catholic

Yes he interrups far too much. I another format this would be fun. Now it isn't. And when some intelligent and critical caller turns up, this is not recieved wisely but just slammed - what is CA afraid of??? The truth will set us free.
Old Mar 22, '12, 4:47 am
Book Club Member

Smile Re: Patrick Coffin on Q and A

I thoroughly enjoy Patrick's command of the English language, his playfulness on the air, his deft handling and answering of caller's questions, and when he helps out a fellow apologist during a show. It's a treat for me to listen.

I worry about everyone on CAL, and I pray and hope they keep the perspective of everything they do in line with whatever is God's will.

These Catholic call-in shows are a great gift.
Old Mar 22, '12, 11:30 am

Hi Elizabeth502 and Crenfro:

Thanks for the kind words. I confess having to stifle a laugh when the caller explained about the things he heard on the news keeping him from confession!

The show is ever on a journey toward Getting Better. Still not there yet.

Hi Janpeterotto:

Thank you for yo candid feedback. We take all feedback very seriously. When you write: "Yes he interrups far too much. I another format this would be fun. Now it isn't. And when some intelligent and critical caller turns up, this is not recieved wisely but just slammed - what is CA afraid of??? The truth will set us free" .... I have to ask, however: when has a single intelligent and critical caller has ever ever been "slammed" by me or any of our guests. Can you back up with specific evidence your opinion that the show is somehow "afraid of the truth" which does indeed set us free? Please send me the broadcast date and the time(s) and guest(s). Before you do, though, please read the post I made last December 13, as I think it applies:

Re: Patrick Coffin on Q and A
People,

Welcome to my life! If you sat on my side here, you'd have the same wry grin on your face as I do. Feedback on radio content is always counter-intuitive and contradictory depending on taste. A small parody sample:

Bob: Patrick is incredible. Calm, persuasive, fluid in speech.
Teresa: The guy stammers. It's horrible. Make it stop.

Rick: Those sound effects make my day -- what a welcome injection of levity!
Bravo!
Tom: Those dumb sound effects are making me lose the will to live. Seriously.

Peter: If only Patrick would be less patient with some of the jerks who call just to rant. I want to climb into the radio and beg the caller to get to the point!
Mary: Why does Patrick interrupt callers so often? Even the rude deserve better treatment. This is supposed to be a Christian show...

Alice: I love when Patrick supplements an answer given by a guest -- that back-up help is so helpful, and you can tell the guests appreciate having him there if/when their mind goes blank.
Sergio: Can't the host shut up and let the guest be the guest? What an egomaniac.

You get the picture. I exaggerate, but not my too much. Visiting here for critical feedback is a very good practice for me, but only to a point. People's individual tastes and "lenses" condition so much of the feedback, and very little of it can I control.

Anyway, thanks to all. I know you want the show to continue to improve as much as I do.

Thanks again --and happy Lent to y'all.
Old Mar 22, '12, 11:37 am
Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Coffin View Post
Hi Elizabeth502 and Crenfro:

Thanks for the kind words. I confess having to stifle a laugh when the caller explained about the things he heard on the news keeping him from confession!

The show is ever on a journey toward Getting Better. Still not there yet.

Hi Janpeterotto:

Thank you for yo candid feedback. We take all feedback very seriously. When you write: "Yes he interrups far too much. I another format this would be fun. Now it isn't. And when some intelligent and critical caller turns up, this is not recieved wisely but just slammed - what is CA afraid of??? The truth will set us free" .... I have to ask, however: when has a single intelligent and critical caller has ever ever been "slammed" by me or any of our guests. Can you back up with specific evidence your opinion that the show is somehow "afraid of the truth" which does indeed set us free? Please send me the broadcast date and the time(s) and guest(s). Before you do, though, please read the post I made last December 13, as I think it applies:

Re: Patrick Coffin on Q and A
People,

Welcome to my life! If you sat on my side here, you'd have the same wry grin on your face as I do. Feedback on radio content is always counter-intuitive and contradictory depending on taste. A small parody sample:

Bob: Patrick is incredible. Calm, persuasive, fluid in speech.
Teresa: The guy stammers. It's horrible. Make it stop.

Rick: Those sound effects make my day -- what a welcome injection of levity!
Bravo!
Tom: Those dumb sound effects are making me lose the will to live. Seriously.

Peter: If only Patrick would be less patient with some of the jerks who call just to rant. I want to climb into the radio and beg the caller to get to the point!
Mary: Why does Patrick interrupt callers so often? Even the rude deserve better treatment. This is supposed to be a Christian show...

Alice: I love when Patrick supplements an answer given by a guest -- that back-up help is so helpful, and you can tell the guests appreciate having him there if/when their mind goes blank.
Sergio: Can't the host shut up and let the guest be the guest? What an egomaniac.

You get the picture. I exaggerate, but not my too much. Visiting here for critical feedback is a very good practice for me, but only to a point. People's individual tastes and "lenses" condition so much of the feedback, and very little of it can I control.

Anyway, thanks to all. I know you want the show to continue to improve as much as I do.

Thanks again --and happy Lent to y'all.
Wow, this is amazing! This is very much like the contradictory feedback from a questionnaire we had in the church concerning the homilies given at Mass.

bill

My Blog http://thespiritspeakstous.wordpress.com/
Old Mar 22, '12, 12:10 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (Oblate of St Benedict-MotRC)

Patrick,

I don't mean for this post to sound sycophantic, but I think that your "interruptions" are constructive 99.999% of the time. Most often they are a kind and charitable attempt to get a rambling caller back on track.

Keep up the good work, sir. I truly enjoy Catholic Answers. I wish it were on the radio on my drive home from work, too, though.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that Teresa, Tom, Mary, and Sergo work for a competing radio station.

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Mar 25, '12, 2:31 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJJ View Post
Does it bug anybody else or has anyone else noticed that Patrick Coffin interupts almost every single caller.
Not me. In fact, I think that Mr. Coffin shows an incredible amount of charity, patience, and humility when he deals with callers.

Folks of my disposition tend to get rather annoyed when people don't know how to get the point of whatever they're trying to express. For example, let's say someone calls up with a relatively straightforward question: What do Calvinists mean by Total Depravity?

I happen to think that it's a waste of time for such a question to be preceded by ten months worth of biography. People seem to have a habit of thinking that their question needs much, much, MUCH more personal background than it does.

For a grumpy git like me, Mr. Coffin helps to not only move things along, but he also calms me down, and helps me to see the bright side of things. His natural personality and sense of humour help me to get grounded again, and to enjoy the show without getting too uptight. Also, he has a natural knack for removing any sort of negative air that callers sometimes may have caused.

I am always very thankful for that.
Old Jul 13, '12, 5:15 pm

As well as listening to CAL I also at times will listen to Coast to Coast AM's podcast. And whatever anyone thinks of some of their content, I do consider Art Bell to be an excellent interviewer. He is also quite good at getting a caller to get to the point.

I admit that there are number of times listening to either show (probably even more so on Coast to Coast AM) where you want someone to tell the caller: "Hey, why don't you just call the producer and see if they can schedule you as a guest on the show, since apparently you already think you are one."

So, my grateful thanks to hosts like Patrick Coffin when they do get a caller to get to the point. I find it far more exasperating when some talk show hosts, perhaps out of politeness, just allow a caller to ramble on and on (it's different if the caller actually has something interesting to say).

http://www.latin-mass-society.org/dietrich.htm
Old Jul 16, '12, 10:44 am

Hey Brennan: Well, you made my day. Hosting a live radio show is like juggling bombs in the dark. (except no one dies.) I recognize that most callers are a bit nervous and don't mean to ramble forever, but some call to preach, not to listen; and others try and cram in a dozen "just one more quick questions." But thanks for the kind words. I'm on a perpetual learning curve in balancing charity with the demands of good radio.

Patrick
Old Jul 16, '12, 3:58 pm
Prayer Warrior

Dear Patrick,

I think you do a great job of balancing the time you have to get the callers in. You also have a good way of gently dealing with callers who are earnestly nervous as well as dealing assertively with callers with an anti-catholic agenda with solid arguments and tough questions.

God bless,
Bryan

I believe one of God's most under-appreciated gifts to us is the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
Old Jul 16, '12, 4:57 pm

Thankee kindly.
Old Jul 16, '12, 5:29 pm

Religion: Christian

I just listened to one of those shows. I think you are a very fun radio host and very respectful of your guests. The only thing I thought came on kind of strong was when you were quoting the catechism very strongly at people who were perhaps confused or not knowledgable of the Catholic position. You have an excellent knowledge of the doctrine but it came across like you were a little impatient and scolding them and I'm not sure they were in opposition to what you were explaining or anything. But maybe you have a better sense of that, anyway, keep up the good work.
Old Jul 16, '12, 6:26 pm

Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic

I hope Patrick doesn’t take this the wrong way…

Ok, just kidding. Talk show host on live radio is a challenging job. Patrick is one of the finest out there. He is very conscious of what makes ‘good radio’. A caller who is having trouble getting to their point is generally not good radio. A polite interruption gets things back to the substance of the call which is good for listeners, for the guest and for callers as well. I dare say Patrick is a purveyor of pith.

I’ve also noticed that when a caller interrupts the guest, Patrick naturally asks the caller to hold off so the guest can finish their thought which makes total sense. The talk at the beginning has never fazed me. Sometimes it's light banter; often it focuses on the guests’ strengths and background to help orient the show. There is less of this with the more regular guests which also makes sense.

Occasional long answers? I find it’s usually about important or commonly misunderstood themes. Personally, I want that kind of depth and am grateful for it. Guests are not only answering questions for the callers but for all the listeners as well. I have learned so much from CAL. Even if the answer is about something I already know, I find that hearing it talked about in a different way contributes to my understanding and, in turn, makes me a stronger and better-informed Catholic. It’s part of what I listen to the show for.

Having listened to lots and lots of all sorts of talk radio, I am constantly impressed by how cordial, kind and well-mannered hosts on Catholic radio are and Patrick is definitely tops in my book. Oh, and did I mention knowledgeable? I think he does a first class job and it’s a huge part of why CAL is my favorite radio show ever. Honestly, don’t change a thing. Please and thank you.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)